TFTD Weapons

Dumb_Commander

Okay, here are my thoughts on the subject:

CRAFT WEAPONS

An X-Com Barracuda is equipped with one gas cannon and one Ajax torpedo launcher.

The Ajax torpedo is a standard homing torpedo for use against hostile ships and submarines. It has a high explosive warhead, similar to torpedos carried on modern submarines, but with better range, speed and damage potential. This link has some information on the specifications of the Spearfish torpedo, the current torpedo of choice for Royal Navy submarines. The Ajax torpedo launcher has a rack of four torpedos, and they cannot be reloaded until the Barracuda gets back home, unlike with the torpedo launchers on a submarine.

The gas cannon is a scaled up version of the harpoon guns used by X-Com in the early stages of the war. It uses compressed gas to propel a solid metal bolt at an enemy target. Devestating at close range, but it lacks the range and accuracy for long range engagements. The bolt probably has an armour piercing head, much like the arrows used by Welsh and English longbowmen at the battles of Pilleth (where Owain Glyndwr defeated the English) and Agincourt.

There is an option of using DUP torpedoes. The DUP torpedo is larger and more powerful than the Ajax torpedo, but is presumably twice as big because a DUP launcher can only carry two torpedos. The use of depleted uranium in the warhead casing makes this torpedo good at penetrating the armour of a USO hull, but there are political considerations involved with such a weapon. Depleted uranium is still highly radioactive and when it is used for artillery shells in battle, it causes long term environmental damage.

SQUAD WEAPONS

The squad doesn't have grenades yet because we have yet to resolve the problem of throwing grenades underwater. It is probable that we will end up with a grenade launcher or mortar designed for underwater use.

The squad has been using harpoon guns for the first couple of missions. The harpoons inflict armour piercing damage, so the head of the harpoon must be far narrower than that of a standard harpoon, just like with Welsh armour piercing arrows. The squad now has access to handheld torpedo launchers - analogous to rocket propelled grenade launchers, and harpoons with high explosive and phosphorus warheads.

Gauss technology is currently being devbeloped by the scientists. It will effectively be plasma rifles that can work underwater and don't need elerium or zrbite. Zr Zager is almost ready to demonstrate a lab prototype to the Commodore.

Modern assault rifles and the laser rifles developed in the first Alien War don't work underwater. X-Com might decide to buy some after the aliens start attacking ports and holiday resorts, something we should consider.

OTHER SQUAD EQUIPMENT

Liquid breathing technology is mentioned in the Profile of Jake Gaston. The technology was first developed in the 1960s, but it is not yet practical. It is likely that more work will go into developing it if humanity starts mining the sea bed as it allows people to dive much deeper than a standard diving suit can manage. The snag is that the human vocal chords werre not designed to work underwater, so X-Com will need to develop (or buy) some alternative communications equipment.

X-Com has yet to develop medikits and motion scanners that can work underwater. It is likely that they will be based on the same principles as the ones developed in the first Alien war, only waterproof.

You're right, this topic is supposed to be about standardising the weapons in the TFTD fanfic :drink:

Okay so what about the environmental issues associated with DUP torpedos? Should X-Com be allowed unrewstricted use of them? Or perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to use them near fisheries and kelp farms?

Also, should they be allowed to use asault rifles and laser rifles when dealing with a terror attack?

I guess that there is a problem due to the fact that the UN would like to keep this thing under wraps for as long as possible. If that's the case maybe they won't have a stance on the problem. At best they would probably just restrict use, anyway, what's a few poison fish compared to the end of the world?

Personally I would leave it entirely up to the commander... Let's be honest, you get given millions every month to save the world, people rarely ask how you're doing it. You just get on with it... You can pretty much nuke half the ocean bed and the funding nations would never know. Even if they do find out, what can they do??? You can bet your arse that NATO isn't going to be allowed to get its grubby mitts anywhere near DUP torpedoes so they'll never even know they're harmful till the war's long over!!!

As far as surface weaponry goes I think yes, it only makes sense to use the weapons from the first alien war. No plasmas or blasters due to Elerium shortages but lasers would be fine.

RE: surface weapons

How about the machnine gun/laser sniper rifle combination you use in the early missions in X-Com Acopalypse?

RE: DUP torpedoes

I think the commodore will be reluctant to risk the political controvesy at first. However, it is impossible to cover up an alien attack on a major shipping port, so the international media will be urging the politicians to Do Something (note the capitals). They won't have much in the way of practical suggestions of course. The politicians will then tell X-Com to use DUP torpedos and damm the environment - there's an election to win!

• 2 weeks later...

Re: DUP Torpedoes

Actually, Depleted Uranium is just that, depleted...radioactively speaking. It's not THAT much more radioactive than your average chunk of granite...its just very, very dense, so it penetrates much better than most projectiles. The environmental concerns have yet to be proven...and most of them center around the possibility of someone on the battlefield inhaling the dust that results when a depleted uranium round is fired from a hypervelocity tank gun or aircraft cannon and slams into a depleted uranium armor plate. Note that depleted uranium is not used in artillery shells because 1) artillery is indirect fire and doesn't depend on the kinetic energy of the projectile, and 2) depleted uranium would dampen the explosive effect because it is so dense. Also note that depleted uranium is useless for creating a nuclear explosion...you need ENRICHED uranium for that!

Nah, if you wanna worry about radioactives, better look to the gauss weapons...I remember reading somewhere that they use plutonium to create the anti-proton stream (MUCH more dangerous stuff)

• 2 weeks later...
Nah, if you wanna worry about radioactives, better look to the gauss weapons...I remember reading somewhere that they use plutonium to create the anti-proton stream (MUCH more dangerous stuff)

~~~

Gauss Pistol

The Gauss pistol uses accelerated particle technology, a new development in modern weaponry. It is fast, accurate and functions above and below water. Gauss technology is a development of the Plasma technologies learned from the previous war.

Gauss Rifle

A step beyond the Gauss pistol, the rifle packs a real punch, with its twin particle accelerators. Replacing the Elerium powered Plasma system we have utilised a micro particle accelerator that generates a stream of anti-protons.

Heavy Gauss

The heavy Gauss is cumbersome, but extremely effective. It operates with 3 particle accelerators and is virtually unstoppable. The anti-proton stream is confined inside a Gallium Arsenide shell that implodes on impact releasing the anti-matter.

As you see Azure, Gauss weaponry doesn't use plutonium at all!

It would make things interesting for the story if we need plutonium to manufacture the gauss weapons and ammunition clips. Restrictions on the sale of plutonium are likely to continue for fear of it ending up in the hands of terrorists, so X-Com would have to go back to the UN to ask for permission to obtain even the smallest quantity of plutonium.

• 8 months later...
I don't have an explanation, I just think that such weaponry may be possible. The Sonar system of 688 class subs is apparently able to damage the housing it is contained in. Well, at least when believing Mister T. Clancy. A possible explanation may be the occurance of resonance in the medium that's "hit" by the "sonic beam". It is possible to destroy glass when sounding the tone corresponding to its resonance frequency. Those Mythbuster guys tested this w/ a wine glass and managed to break it. Maybe it's possible to destroy other tougher matter with sound waves of much stronger intensity. I don't have the knowledge of physics to calculate what energy levels are needed, but I think they're some orders of magnitude greater than those needed for destroying a tiny wine glass.

Sound waves at the right frequency can cause a considerable amount of physical damage. Consider stories of opera singers using their voices to shatter glass. Or the sonic booms caused by aircraft damaging buildings.

A scientific explanation can be found here, but I am afraid it is hard to follow if physics isn't your strong point. It has caused physical destruction to buildings, such as the Tacoma Narrows Bridge

A brief physical explanation is: a sound wave is energy being transmitted through a medium, either air or water. By focusing the energy and the frequency of the wave being sent it is possible to make for those waves to have significant physical effects to its target.

Here's an example of a real life sonic weapon.

I mean the alien sonic weaponry, and the explanation the green sonic bolts.

Your memory is failing DC, we had a chinwag about this sometime ago.

Here

A simple explanation of how resonance could work as a weapon is to consider waves on a lake. As the waves roll gently to the shore they will swell and fall in synchrony with each other but if you make counter waves by throwing a brick into the pond then where they meet violence can be seen.

I'm no scientist but as a musician, strings of a guitar can be tuned together by synchronising the resonance. If two strings vibrate out of resonance they sound and 'feel' bad.

Then consider in water, the power of sound waves would be increased by the weight of the water - sea water is heavier than fresh water too, therefore increasing damage potential.

On saying that, I suspect in real life it would be almost imposible to isolate and direct sound as water is such a good conductor of sound.

Uriaheep may be a genius if it's possible to use sound waves to change the density of the medium carrying the sound. Light refraction may account for the green color then!

Edit: just read the topic you linked an it looks like both of us had the same idea w/ that refraction stuff.