33 replies to this topic

#1 Martian base commander

Martian base commander

Alien collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:22 PM

Well,I was just coming to the end of one of my usual bug hunts,when who happened to show his little flat flapping face?a damn Flatster!.As you can see my 3 squaddies panicked at the mere sight of this nuisance and decided that a Phosphorous grenade was the best option together with some gun fire thrown in for good measure.As it turned out the deadly firestorm merely served to agitate this little shit even more and he bounded up the hill amidst my pretty accurate fire,and then proceeded to chomp his way through their armour in no time!.

http://img282.images...flatshit3dg.jpg

This shot does not show the extent of the damage this little b#####d did to my men,but I tell you it forced me to abort! :(

I think they are WAY too tough compared to the other more "intelligent" species of alien in this game,and I was wondering what tactics you emply to down this filth.I think knives are pretty good,but that strategy puts me too close to them,and their breath stinks too hehe.

I think W##kster should have been his name,not Flatster.  :(
For those wanting to delve deeper into UFOAL and learn advanced strategies etc , visit my own UFOAL group at -  http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/the_uf...ecreation_dome/

#2 ricardo440

ricardo440

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

Shotguns.
Point blank
Or reticulan rifle burst fire.

Also if they move to you you can just walk away from them. When you have good speed you can di it at liesure, but even when your guys are slow if you act quickly you can still run away from them while the rest of your squad shoots them.

#3 cunninG

cunninG

guide to insanity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

P_Riley_UK, on 2nd November 2005, 12:22am, said:

be advised, i think ground elevation levels and relief make a significant difference in the game. if it truly were so, i am VERY pleased with the developers. :(

#4 Raxxman

Raxxman

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:11 PM

Flatstars are touch vs bullets but a laser rifle will take them down.

Always carry one on a trooper on mutant missions.

problem solved

#5 infael

infael

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

I always let em have it point-blank with shotgun blasts.

#6 Accounting Troll

Accounting Troll

Bridge troll

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

I find that it takes a lot of rounds from a Reticulan laser rifle to take down a flatster.  I can't afford that in the early stages of the game, so I get a couple of soldiers hacking away with knives instead.

I'm looking forward to seeing how armour piercing rounds do against their shells.

#7 Martian base commander

Martian base commander

Alien collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

AT.

I don't think AP rounds will be that effective im afraid,because in my humble opinion it appears that this creature has some sort of soft almost gelatanous body type?,much like a manta ray?.I think its invulnerability actually comes from its sensory or LACK of sensory organs,which dulls the effects of pain.There might not even BE any internal organs as such.

I am beginning to think that knives and cutting weapons in general are very effective against them,preferably in the hands of someone with a high resistance to pain themselves,as they are gonna get chomped on pretty quick.

Lasers sound a good option too,with their ability to simply burn right through its body and cook its insides.

How effective is Plasma in this game?I think that will be VERY deadly against such 'soft bodied' creatures.

I generally use AP rounds against the Cyborgs and them bloody dangerous Cultist commandos,whatever they are.

I thought fire would have been VERY effecive,and Phosphorous is highly deadly to almost anything!Just go back to the use of Napalm in Vietnam to get a pretty clear picture of what I mean,and how incendaries have evolved.

:(
For those wanting to delve deeper into UFOAL and learn advanced strategies etc , visit my own UFOAL group at -  http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/the_uf...ecreation_dome/

#8 Martian base commander

Martian base commander

Alien collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

AT.

I don't think AP rounds will be that effective im afraid,because in my humble opinion it appears that this creature has some sort of soft almost gelatanous body type?,much like a manta ray?.I think its invulnerability actually comes from its sensory or LACK of sensory organs,which dulls the effects of pain.There might not even BE any internal organs as such.

I am beginning to think that knives and cutting weapons in general are very effective against them,preferably in the hands of someone with a high resistance to pain themselves,as they are gonna get chomped on pretty quick.

Lasers sound a good option too,with their ability to simply burn right through its body and cook its insides.

How effective is Plasma in this game?I think that will be VERY deadly against such 'soft bodied' creatures.

I generally use AP rounds against the Cyborgs and them bloody dangerous Cultist commandos,whatever they are.

I thought fire would have been VERY effective,and Phosphorous is highly deadly to almost anything!Just go back to the use of Napalm in Vietnam to get a pretty clear picture of what I mean,and how incendaries have evolved.

:(

#9 Martian base commander

Martian base commander

Alien collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:40 PM

Damn,someone delete one of my last replies here please,it got posted twice.

Im getting bleedin good at that lately  :(

#10 Crazy Gringo

Crazy Gringo

War is hell and war never changes therefore hell never changes

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

Okay a note on killing a flatster.
I picked up some 9 mm ammo regular and AP early in the game.
Since the flaster clearly is a divine pain in your lower backside. I tried various alternatives to laser weaponry on burst.
Shotguns and desert eagles.
Shotguns were mildly effective if used in concentrated fire. Then again try to be alive with a bulletproof vest riddled with point blank range shotgun holes.
The desert eagles went something like this.

Regular did about 25 damage per hit.
AP did about 90 damage per hit.
Not that impressive....

So my way of dealing with a flatster is pure and simple use maximum available firepower. Any damage is GOOD damage when it comes to those supercharged critters.  :(

*Starts designing a series of flatster ashtrays*
Words to live by from Sergent Gunnery Highway: ' You adapt, improvise and overcome!'

'To kill a dream it is not enough to kill the dreamer', -Quote by Crazy Gringo until proven otherwise.

Mental Father of Air Morelman and Air Wargot!

Official StrategyCore UFO: Afterlight previewer. Preview here!

Has joined the league of 'The Crazy 8800s'

#11 Martian base commander

Martian base commander

Alien collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:41 PM

Even though I dont smoke send me an ashtray ok gringo?

#12 Crazy Gringo

Crazy Gringo

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:16 AM

Will do, Riley. Will do. How about a nice piece of flatster to put over the mantlepiece since your not smoking?
Words to live by from Sergent Gunnery Highway: ' You adapt, improvise and overcome!'

'To kill a dream it is not enough to kill the dreamer', -Quote by Crazy Gringo until proven otherwise.

#13 lgonggr

lgonggr

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

I used lasers on burst fire. No problems here. And they aren't all that fast. If you are in trouble, just run off gather a fire team and blast the living daylights out of them.
Cheers,
Lodewijk

#14 Martian base commander

Martian base commander

Alien collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

Igon.

A stealth bomber carrying an Atomic bomb would be even better! :(

I am going to stick with the good old grenades,I think they are useful against pretty much anything that is classed as "living".

#15 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

Troll - AP ammo isn't so good against them though it is better and, well, nothing really is good enough until you do an autopsy. Then they go down extremely quickly as you know where to hit them (presumably the big flat bit? :()
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#16 Accounting Troll

Accounting Troll

Bridge troll

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

I've just seen how good their armour is against AP rounds :(   They seem to be weak against lasers, but Reticulan laser rifles are not as good as pre-Fall human assault rifles against other enemies.  I also found out the hard way that flatsters can climb staircases...

Maybe the point of flatsters is to make you experiment with combining projectile weapons with explosives and energy weapons, like you had to in missions against the mutants in Aftermath.

Does completing the flatster autopsy give your soldiers a bonus to their aliens skills when facing flasters?  If so, that would make conducting autopsies a higher priority than in Aftermath.

#17 Paranoid Jack

Paranoid Jack

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:03 AM

I have skipped all autopsies though I may be getting around to them soon. The only aliens at this point that are even remotely hard to bring down are the Flatsters. The Greys usually go down in a few hits. Or from one round when an entire fireteam is trained on one. I have stopped using Laser rifles in order to build up a supply of cells since I can't manufacture them yet. I use mainly M4s AKs and G3s with standard ammo since I ran out of AP.   ;)

I must agree the shotgun or Laser rifle on burst seem to do the trick best when only one or two troops are close by. Otherwise have every gun available trained on them and they stop moving rather quickly.

#18 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:46 AM

Doing autopsies definitely decreases the life-span for Flatsters. In fact, some of the other autopsies you do will say things like "Perhaps researching this creature will give us an advantage on the battlefield" so I can only assume I'm not going crazy and it does actually make a difference ;)

Ho-hum, there's harder enemies than Flatsters coming up, believe you me ;)
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#19 Crazy Gringo

Crazy Gringo

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:58 AM

Just a quick one here....Has anyone tried sonic weapons on those flatsters since sonic waves can turn those jelly organs into mush?

#20 greedo

greedo

:o)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

Crazy Gringo, on 9th November 2005, 8:58am, said:

Just a quick one here....Has anyone tried sonic weapons on those flatsters since sonic waves can turn those jelly organs into mush?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yep, it works as well as other weapons now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users