X-COM on the Silent Storm engine possible?

Slaughter

We were recently made aware of the livejournal of Nival programmer Bandures that can be found here. It is linked to a screenshot from Silent Storm looking suspiciously like X-COM. It is apparently something Bandures did at home a year or two ago, and I think it's safe to say that most X-COM fans would die for this. Keep in mind that this is only a modification of the Silent Storm engine, and not an actual working game. With a little luck we can get some more details from Bandures soon.

fun_1.jpg

We think it's time that the X-COM community mobilized to get a new X-COM game made (Atari owns the rights). Therefore we wish to start a campaign with the working title "X-COM: Resurrection". If you're interested in helping out, stay tuned for more news on this in the months to come. We are not ready to mobilize yet, but seeing this picture was just the motivation we needed. In the meantime suggestions and comments are more than welcome!

Yeah, IIRC it was supposed to be a mix between FPS and Strategy, something like Ghost Recon I'd assume (in the tactical-FPS side, I mean), you were supposed to then take corpses and technology and research it the way you did in the rest of X-Com games. I'd have loved to play that too.

Aftermath is barely a TBS :blush:, even though I do like what they did to the game, I think it could have been a bit better, but I think Aftershock will satisfy me the way Aftermath couldn't, not that it's not a good game in it's own right, but I found it lacking in some aspects...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd LOVE to see Xcom using the S2/S3 engine! I lost more waking hours playing Xcom than any other single game. I enjoy S2/S3 very much (though the PK's do bug me some, being a grognard.)

Lets hope that this possibility of putting out an Xcom successor (or equivalent) comes to fruition. I'd buy it! :blush:

(though the PK's do bug me some, being a grognard.)

You and most everybody else, man. The damn things have stirred up more controversy about the game than any other single subject, and it just doesn't end. New players are coming in, two, three years since release, and going, "What's up with these crazy Panzerkleins? Did the Germans really have those?" And we have to go, "No, of course not, but Thor's Hammer DID."

Wasn't everybody's hope that S2 would basically be X-Com with kickass graphics?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I want X-COM resurrection, and I agree that s2 engin is good for that ;)

Ufo enemy unknown maked me love turn based strategy games like JA2 S2/S3 but now I more preffer somthing like Aftershock method of playing ;) this pause/play method :(

but still I like turn based games ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truth is out there..... they really exist, many races. But wil we ever encounter them? that is right question...