Which do you prefer? Turn based or real time?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer? Turn-based or real-time? (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer? Turn-based or real-time?

1. Turn-Based (57 votes [70.37%])

Percentage of vote: 70.37%

2. Real-Time (15 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. Other (explain) (9 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

This poll was suggested by Pete. I guess some people might be a little biased, with all the turn-based games we cover, but you never know. If you prefer something other than turn-based or real-time, please explain the system. And we'll be interested to know why you prefer turn-based or real-time if that is your cup of tea of course!

#2 Cap'n Kyth

Cap'n Kyth

OMGWTFBBQMECH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

Both! :confused:

#3 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

I likes Apoc's approach where you could choose, but I'm also extrememly happy with the systems in Silent Storm (Turn-Based, but looks cool, though the turns can take a while to play out) and UFO Aftermath (real time with lots of pauses :confused:).
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#4 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:40 PM

Turn-based, baby.  It's the only way to have real strategy.  Real time, you just end up reacting to your opponent.  Turn-based, you can plan, actually use your mind.

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#5 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:59 PM

I foresee a huge argument coming up about stuff like "would you wait fo the enemy to have their turn if they really did invade?" and so forth :confused:
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#6 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:58 PM

It's ok, I'll ban them.   :confused:
Of course you'd want the enemy to have a turn, not very fair if you don't.  It may be ok for all those foreign types, but we Brits have to find time to fit in time for tea and sandwiches and sweeping chimneys and suchlike.
Cor blimey, guv'nor.

#7 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

former bf2 pro... left because of hitreg...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

Well, depends for me
brainsuckers are evil on turn based, since my guys rarely react to them
however, if you are fighting megaspawns on real time, you usually get one missile and two or three laser out before you can kill them, which means fatal wounds and deaths.  But on turn based, if you see them, you kill them.  That's why i like real time.  You make split second decisions and react to an enemies actions, not plan your own then the enemy plans theirs
I was this *---* close to being a bf2 pro player, but i left because of my internet and hitreg...  meh.  Just plain meh

#8 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:22 AM

It depends on the game for me, generally though I like to be able to take my time and evaluate the situation, otherwise in real time games I do something, then five seconds later realise that I shouldn't have, just as the artillery starts landing on my men.

In a game like C&C where men are counted in the hundreds a bad tactical choice is never a problem, since the person who can build tanks faster tends to win.

In a game like XCOM however, every man is worth his weight in Elerium and even one loss is a blow.
user posted image
Love Mana, Mana is your God.

#9 Jh316

Jh316

Nobody important

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:54 AM

I picked other, because what I like is real-time that you can pause and give orders whenever you want.

By the way, if you think you can't plan in a real-time game, download a demo of a game called Brigade E-5: New Jagged Union.

It's Russian at the moment, but they've released some patches to make it English.

I'll make another topic about it...Uh, somewhere. Off-topic, I guess. There's really no general game discussion forum. It's either no game discussion, or discussion about a particular game.

Nevermind, making a post in the game topic on the OT forum.

Edited by Jh316, 17 June 2005 - 05:56 AM.

#10 Solitaire

Solitaire

Tra la la

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

Real time that you an pause? You should keep your eyes peeled for Space Hulk. Vengance of the Blood Angels. I think that was one of the first games to use that feature.

Bit old now though.
user posted image
Love Mana, Mana is your God.

#11 Jh316

Jh316

Nobody important

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

I've played a PC conversion of the Space Hulk board game before, it was a really fun turn based thing.

#12 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

Not to mention Aftermath, or whatever it is.  Real-time that you can pause whenever and still interact/give orders/plan/cry is just turn-based with dressing.

#13 Hellb0und

Hellb0und

Gollop Worshipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

:confused: I voted "other".

I LOVE turn-based games, but i think the best approach so far is the system used in Laser Squad: Nemesis,
where each opponet plans 10 sec of movements ( force-fire/op. fire/hide... ) for all your units, and then you watch the results.

...and no, i don't play LSN for almost 6 months now.   :grr:

#14 Jh316

Jh316

Nobody important

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

My favorite game to use the kind of thing I'm talking about is Darklands, from '92 or so. It's an awesome game, and available at Hotu. Really shows that Microprose can make a great RPG, too.

#15 KoMik

KoMik

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

I voted for turn the page (it is like reading a book: you pass it fast as you want and can take 'thinking pauses' when ever you want and maybe some 'drinking pauses' too).

I like the tb-games like SSs where is those actionpoints. One big reason for that is I want to see everything! It is not funny to play in big mission maps and see only half of events (shooting and killing) ...it makes me frustrating. In actionpoints based games you can see every move what your characters or enemies make (I play games because I am also a animations freak) I know it takes more time but if animations and AI is good it doesn't matter to me. It is not very realistic but if I want realism I will just turn of the computer and step outside... I don't want to play some kind of realistic alternative realism games.

I can see that tb games with 'smart pause' have been developed better and better (Brigade E5 etc) and maybe someday I have to change my mind about those 'controlled' chaos games. But actionpoints based tb-games are still more playable via hotseat (or LAN) and I like good multiplayer games a lot (when we can see Jones In the Fastline 2?!?" :confused: ).

Hopefully tb-games are forever on developers lists because I think they have only scratched the surface.

#16 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

former bf2 pro... left because of hitreg...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:27 AM

yeah, i think the future games will be total RTS
pausable RTS
and turn based
i actually prefer pausable RTS, but the Laser Squad nemesis type sounds very nice.  Or in other words, i don't like constant chaos, but chaos, then a chance to review things, the chaos, then a chance to review things
I was this *---* close to being a bf2 pro player, but i left because of my internet and hitreg...  meh.  Just plain meh

#17 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:16 AM

Space Hulk was realtime. As you played, you gained 'pause' time, in which you could give orders (much like Aftermath). However, you could only stay in 'pause' time so long, so you needed to build up some more of the stuff by going back into realtime.

Quite a good system, if you think about it. Most likely it was wasted on me - I'm a defensive player, and my tactics didn't get me far against unlimited (read: 'respawning') hordes of Genestealers.

I played Apocalypse in TB mode about, hmm, once. Played it RT ever since. But, I tend to play Enemy Unknown more then any other strategy game, and that's TB only.

TB suits me best, as I like to sit back and think about things, but that's not a luxery you'd get in reality. Aftermath/Apocalypse's implementations of RT can be summed up as 'TB with really short turns', as opposed to the more mainstream style of strategy games today...
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#18 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:59 AM

FullAuto, on Jun 16 2005, 01:40 PM, said:

Turn-based, baby.  It's the only way to have real strategy.  Real time, you just end up reacting to your opponent.  Turn-based, you can plan, actually use your mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with FullAuto and Bomb Bloke. With real-time you just test your dexterity against a more formidible player (usually the computer). While entertaining, it doesn't really challenge your brain to any large (or deep) degree.

At my age, keeping the brain sharp is a always a concern.  :confused: Turn-based games allow me to plan things ahead and learn from any mistakes. Sometimes this information can be applied to real life. A side-effect of this is that you learn something by application of knowledge/strategy rather than simple prestidigitation. That is a much more rewarding experience than simply clicking faster than a computer at a certain level.

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#19 z00L

z00L

Precise Tactition

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:07 PM

Other..because i would select both

i've been addicted to command and conquer , red alert 1 and especialy 2 online, the expansion pack yuris revenge. red alert 2 online offers great competition and i play to win knowing all the best build order's, tactics, using the best tank control..where as x-com is different its still just as appealing....its too hard to choose...how about x-com online? now theres perfection ^^

#20 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, both modes sure are fun. I tend to lean towards TB as preference however.

Regarding X-COM online, UFO2000 is a good step in the right direction! Did you try it? LSN isn't bad either!

Like your avatar :confused:. Could you possibly make your signature a little smaller however? Oh, and welcome to the boards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users