Adventure games...

Slaughter

@NKF: I bought Sam & Max and DOTT in a double package from the Lucas Arts classics series. As for running old adventure games, it's no problem when you have the lovely ScummVM. Make sure you download it and the free games they offer (Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen are both neat games!).

@Azrael: Good memories :bleh:. Not to mention Simon the Sorcerer...

Sam & Max - Episode 3: The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball includes very funny mafia story and dialogs. Demo is free. There's 6 parts and you can buy first the first one (cost $9), and then one by one the rest (overall $35). Quite good system.

Link may take time to upload: https://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/meatball

"You can count on that the most expected solution is not the solution" :bleh::what:

• 9 months later...

DS adventure bonanza extravaganza!

A new Broken Sword game?

https://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie%...uct%5Fid=180480

Not played the first Runaway, was it any good?

https://www.runaway-thegame.com/en/

Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles sounds quite promising.

https://www.siliconera.com/2007/11/02/more-...tive-chronicles

Come on LucasArts, where is that back catalogue...

• 2 months later...

I know nothing about either one of those, aside from having heard of them.

Looking at this topic, I noticed that I managed to not mention Chewy: Escape from F5. It's an old game from Blue Byte, very much like the Lucasarts games in style. Get it. Now. If you can find it. :D

They are all point 'n click these days, I'm afraid! The only ones I'm aware of where you have to type commands are the odd text adventure. Best of those I stumbled across recently is Anchorhead, a Lovecraft-inspired job. Rather good.

Best adventure I've played recently (though I haven't played many) is The Blackwell Legacy, which is quite old school in appearance, but the story is good and the voice acting is well above par (not exactly difficult, I know).

Haven't played Still Life much so far, but it seems to be very good quality all round.

• 4 months later...

Interesting interview with Charles Cecil, of Revolution fame. Responsible for such crimes against reality as Beneath a Steel Sky and the Broken Swords.

Some choice excerpts:

VideoGamer.com: Do you see a future where digital distribution leads to no more publishers, maybe no more retailers?

CC: I think it's going to be an awfully long time before there's no more retailers. Certainly those games selling for

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Scribblenauts.

What Scribblenauts is about in a nutshell is basically "Anything you write, you can use." That's where the concept really came from. It's the idea of "What if you had all these puzzles, and in order to solve them you can write anything; the limit is your imagination." How you do that is through this character Maxwell. As Maxwell you have to grab in-level objects called Starites, and to do that you can write anything you want, and it'll spawn that object. So if there's a Starite in the tree, you could write "ladder" and then a ladder would spawn. Climb up the ladder, and you grab the Starite.

There're more ways of doing it though obviously. You could write "axe", and then cut the tree down using the object you spawned. You could write "shuriken" and throw that at the Starite in the tree and knock it down. It's all based on real physics and interaction, so there's nothing pre-canned. You could write anything though; imagine you write "goldfish" for some reason, well a goldfish would spawn and sit on the ground. It wouldn't help you at all in that puzzle, but you could do it.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gabriel Knight writer does new game!

She has a blog!

Gray Matter is the first adventure game by renowned author Jane Jensen since the release of Gabriel Knight 3: the story mixes eerie goings-on with supernatural events in best Jensen-style. Neurobiologist Dr. David Styles is one of the game’s central characters: since losing his wife in a horrible accident some several years ago, he has become a recluse, seldom leaving Dread Hill House, his English country estate.

When student and part-time street performer Samantha Everett shows up at his doorstep, she unexpectedly becomes his assistant. Hailing from America, she has been travelling through most of Europe the last couple years. Her first task: finding six test subjects at Oxford University for one of Styles’ experiments.

The experiment starts off innocently enough, but then inexplicable incidents start mounting. And Styles is visited by his dear departed wife. Now it’s up to Sam to solve the mysteries of Dread Hill House.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I dunno in this case. I don't believe the "We're not evil any more, honest." line from EA, but I can't see Brutal Legend being the sort of million-seller EA churn out every year. Okay, it has Schafer behind it so a lot of older adventure game fans will be pulled in, but the vast majority of the market won't give a toss. I think it will make them a profit, but they are taking a risk (look at Psychonauts, didn't it sink Double Fine's publisher then?).