X-Com Movie Script

saganot

Hey calm down Pumpkin head! We all love XCom but none of us are 2-dimensional enough to only love XCom! Topics go off-topic, it happens, it's not a big deal...

I read over the link you put up. It's good stuff but it's only a part of the story, it's kind of like a 'Starship Troopers' kind of thing if you follow my meaning. I think with an XCom film, it's not widely enough known to jump in at the halfway point. You'd need to start at training day and just include the first 'Oh my god what just happened' encounter. Thing is though, if you work in this way you run the risk of writing up material for a good 50 films!

Veteran, good to see you. Good to see you all actually, it's been a while.

Here's the deal with Fanfic/Moviescript on my side: I'm in college right now, and unfortunately have no time to write anything. Here and there I open up word and right a paragraph or two, nothing big. Come this summer though, I will have nothing to do at my dad's house in FL but sit by the pool and drink Corona and write my story :). After that is done, I would like people to read it, have it get popularity or whatever, and Veteran and I (and other collaborators who wish in on it, like Pumpkinhead) can start work on it.

I don't know how you all feel about this, but I am serious about this script. I aim high with it, and I want to see it into a movie some day. Video Game movies are the new craze these days, and I don't see why number 1 PC game of all time can't be one of them. I want the script to be serious as well, I don't want it to be a "Starship Troopery" type movie, where the line between fact and fiction is clearly drawn.

Pumkinhead - I liked your script. It is a good writing, but there were just two things I didn't like very much (constructive criticism - you are a strong writer):

1. The beginning is too gruesome. When you try and take your average audience, people are going to be turned away at the beginning when young children are being slaughtered on the screen. They will have a negative view for the rest of the film (provided they don't straight up leave just then). You need a strong beginning of course; there needs to be action, but something that leaves your viewers amazed at the action, and asking questions too. You need to blow them away, and have them be begging for more.

2. You started the movie in the time in the war when X-COM has already formed, and has seasoned veterans. This is fine I suppose, but in my opinion you need to take your audience on the ride that the first X-COM soldiers went on. The only inherent problem with this is the fact that you probably wont finish the whole story in one film. A duology (more likely a trilogy) would be needed.

I am actually nearing completion on my next story chapter, my slow but sure progress over the past couple of months have pushed me close. I just need to finish up one combat scene and it will pretty much be done. I'm sure you will all like it, it describes the X-COM combat training center :). I've spent a lot of time on it too, so hopefully it pays off.

Sorry I haven't been around too much, I'm mainly on AIM, so if you want to IM me on there and tell me to get my ass into the forums, please do so. Screenname: A Is Da Man

Thanks a lot guys, I'll try and drop in a bit more. Keep chuggin, don't let X-COM die!

@Fox & Vet:

The reason I started mid-way in X-COM's construction was that my aim was to write a singular movie, because even if you write a trilogy, you have to always prepare for the fact that the first might not make enough money and the company won't want to sign up for the other 2 :) The Matrix only got signed for 3 because the first absolutely raked it in at the boxoffice! It would never have been a trilogy if the first had flopped...

@Fox:

I hear what you're saying with the beginning being a bit gruesome... I'll explain my reasons for it however:

• I was aiming for a 15+ film!
  • If aliens really were attacking the earth, I'd say it would be pretty damn gruesome :)
  • Lastly, I thought it was a good way to introduce the audience to the situation the earth was facing at the time of the film
  • PS - I'm a horror fan... :)

@Fox:

I hear what you're saying with the beginning being a bit gruesome... I'll explain my reasons for it however:

• I was aiming for a 15+ film!

• If aliens really were attacking the earth, I'd say it would be pretty damn gruesome :)

• Lastly, I thought it was a good way to introduce the audience to the situation the earth was facing at the time of the film

• PS - I'm a horror fan... :)

I understand you need to introduce people to the situation on Earth, but showing children gettin slaughtered right at the beginning isn't really the way to do it. Granted it is likely children were killed in the war in such ways, allude to it or just leave it to the imagination. You don't want to lose viewers over this, and I guarantee, you will. It's going to turn this movie into something like Freddy vs. Jason, where maybe like 5% of movie goers will like it. We need to keep it open to people of all kinds.

Maybe you should write a fanfic? It will help you realize what you really want in the script, I know mine is helping me.

• 1 month later...
I've updated my (partial) script: X-COM: The Movie

Any suggestions are welcome as always...

Hey Pumpkin,

The reformatting does make it easier to read. I enjoyed reading it and although it makes a good fic, I'm not sure it would make a good movie at this point. Some critique:

1) I have to agree with not having a wholesale slaughter to kick it off with - boy's arm on fire, good effect, goo spit, good effect, but it might be wise to allude to the deaths offscreen rather than showing a burnt arm and an acid-eaten face. Imagination can fill in the blanks.

2) Movies have to show, not just tell. Although the exposition sequence with Rookie's guided tour of the base is OK to read, on the screen I think it would come across as boring - there are kids in trouble! Has the skyranger landed? will the rescue succeed? Why are we here listening to someone explain the H corridor layout? Making her good looking only helps a little.

It's important to have the base layout worked out, sure, but it's not important to have a character tell us all about it when there's a plot/story to be told. And by told I mean shown.

Please take this in the right spirit, anyway -

JFG

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Well, the closest thing i've ever seen to an X-COM movie was the one released by Boba Fett Films as was mentioned earlier. The closest thing i've ever actually DONE was a movie I made a couple days ago in a game called The Movies. It's my first one tho so its not that good.

• 1 year later...

I made an indie film based on the X-COM game. If you want to watch the trailer, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHU8hq61YY

I also made a spinoff series to explain how the whole organization got together. Watch that here: https://www.rising-suspicion.com/

I want to raise funds to re-make the film into a hollywood production. If anyone is interested in helping, let me know. The trailer shows what I could do with $10K. I have the full movie available if you wish to watch it. The movie won two film festival awards and two Telly Awards.

It's worth investing into.

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to write a movie script based on Enemy Unknown but I know I won't have fully the time required. Therefore anyone who wants to cooperate with me in this work, just write an e-mail.

Sagi

Hey, well done, this looks really well made!

I'd be really keen to seen the whole movie. Can you proivde a link please? I can't believe you managed to do all that with only $10k. I've been praying for a really good XCOM movie for such a long time.

So what exactly are you doing now? Are you still filming more of the mini series and what do you plan to do with it? Is it supposed to be set before the movie takes place, and do you have more because the clips seemed very much incomplete?

Just for some feedback I liked the two black guys outside the armoury, they added a bit of light relief which I think this kind of movie/show needs. I bet you could film some really funny scenes with those two. The big one looks so much like Emile Heskey I really thought it was him at first. Are those two in the movie too, I dont think I spotted them? Are all of the actors just volunteers? Where did you find them all?