#1 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

Hello all,

NineX, who is currently hosting the wiki on his server, has informed me that due to future rising costs he can't continue hosting it past December 2021.

Me and NineX will be looking for alternatives.

Since the UFOPaedia.org was born from this site (thanks to Pete who hosted it for years and years) I thought I'd ask if anyone is interested.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#2 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:00 AM

The perennial issue rears its ugly head again it would seem. I know nothing about web hosting, but I take it this has been costing quite a bit?
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#3 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:21 AM

Send me the details Hobbes, I'll pay for it.

-NoX
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#4 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:02 AM

Hobbes - could you let me know if you know what the costs are these days?

The biggest problem I've found with MediaWiki (the software) in the past is that it's unnecessarily resource hungry and seems to play best on a dedicated server. This puts the cost at the right spec machine between $60-$120 per month, but usually at the higher end. Not sure how this tallies with NineX's costs though.
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#5 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:53 PM

View PostPete, on 04 May 2021 - 08:02 AM, said:

Hobbes - could you let me know if you know what the costs are these days?

The biggest problem I've found with MediaWiki (the software) in the past is that it's unnecessarily resource hungry and seems to play best on a dedicated server. This puts the cost at the right spec machine between $60-$120 per month, but usually at the higher end. Not sure how this tallies with NineX's costs though.

NineX was hosting it on its site (which has lasted for 19 years according to him) and the costs were:

"i lost sponsor that was covering 75% of my internet and electricity bills. and keeping small DC at basement of private house isn't cheap. 1G/1G fiber costs arround 200EUR/month + electricity for servers"
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#6 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Hobbes.

I checked out some of the latest updates for the MediaWiki software and seems as though it could take advantage of separate read/write databases that I have set up on Amazon for other projects which might help with the load.

Can you let me know if it's still been slow or has it been okay on NineX's server these past years?

Also, is there any appetite in the community to help cover costs? I could set up a subscription on Gumtree easily enough, but I can't absorb the costs myself and it would need to be on its own AWS instance (probably along with StrategyCore) so as not to impact any other sites I manage. Historically it's not been overly fun paying for servers and sorting out issues for free with less and less free time (though I did have help from Thorondor and Olav) - sorry if that sounds a bit mercenary of me but otherwise it just all sits as low priority after paid work and I'd rather support it properly if I was to take it on again.
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users