Long War - Impossible Diff

laclongquan

The key to Long War is to NOT do the research Hyperspace Gates. That one will turn every gate-area mission into Destroy Object one. After that success the areas would turn into normal areas.

So, by not research it, we can have an invasion mission every few days for each owned gate area. A familiar mission with familiar enemies, familiar terrain, is a good farming mission.

I am planning to see if I can see the game fail due to running out of time.

OTOH, it could be troublesome when we want to research Written language of Martians. It require 3 artifacts, and we most likely have only two. More artifacts gather from excavation sites which are not always gate sites. So this require both checking Overview tabs, then check global world map. And double clicking on site name on Overview does not jump us to that area (a long time bug I think).

• 2 weeks later...

One effect of Long War is some very not seen before combination:

Matriarch armed with Big Rifle and scarily long range. We are talking about shooting from one corner of the map to nearly another, though thank god not at the level of diagonal distance. To describe in term of level skill, I guess it's higher than Ultra Divine aiming, which only possible if we use high level stimulants on a supernatural Aiming soldier.

Chief armed with grenade launcher. It's not very strange to normal eyes, just feel their range of grenade is longer, and they are more resistant than Alchemist.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Matriarch armed with Martian Plasma Cannon is the ultimate step on Beastmen threat scale. Unfortunately they are not as fearsome as matriarchs with big rifles (and drugged). Because the plasma balls are too slow, so easy to evade even by slowass snipers.

The most fearsome would be Matriarch with status ammo, particularly Paralyzing ammo. One, two bullets hit you and you become stationary target practice. Luckily this only become common at highest tier of alien threat.

The counter to such usually is Sniper with aimed shot stay in formation (to avoid Matriarchs run through). So if they are a mixed squad that include alchemist (or other types) with grenade launchers, you will get hit continuously and have to keep eating explosions, because it is not as bad as a paralyzing ammo to the face.

Also the frequence of Matriarchs mean the rising importance of laser weapons. My dual pistol guys now sporting ret laser pistol instead of beastman version.

• 2 weeks later...

On research.

Frankly speaking, you dont want Impossible research speed. It's damned slow, even if you leave aside unnecessary ones like Drone related, autopsies etc... Remember the horrifying research incident at the end of Aftermath? IT's nearly that bad, as in you can just research essential ones, and give up twenty item of researchs (drones, some planetology, heavy suits line, etc) And even so it's still bloody slow.

What limit us is the speed of production, for that Impossible production is fine.

But for research, really should have kept it at Normal rate.

With impossible rate, you just dont have time to do anything else. Even time to train Science is barely squeezed out

• 4 weeks later...

Lightning Balls.

This late game plasma weapon is designed specifically for Driving Technician just so they can "drive" the plasma balls toward enemies.

Problems are three-fold.

- It's a late game so in most case it's of very limited use.

- Due to the high demand and low number of soldier technicians, it's rare for them to appear on battle maps, other than the homebase attacked, 1st moon mission, and maybe Cydonia gate mission. So overall, this weapon will see even less chance to be used.

- Even if it's in non-soltec hand and be used, plasma ball speed is too slow and damage too small for that timeframe to be effective. In the time the ball arrive at target, a sniper can shoot 3-4 shots, heavy weapon can shoot a warp cannon once, and dual pistol users can pump ten rounds into target.

Over all a bad design in case of this weapon.

A modder can arrange for one of this weapon on Earth reinforcement's 1st flight should be a good case, a contrast to Warp Cannon: directed balls vs straight shot, battery charge versus free, unlimited bullet (as long as carry enough battery on hand and in UFO) versus 12 per battle.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up.

I tried to prolong for fun but come to a point of too much like work.

After three Beastmen area was completely done for 3 rescue captured alien missions, they are completely contained in the key gate and fortress area. respawn an invasion mission for every two cycle of gate opens, I think.

The gate defense and that, occupy most of our production's demand. Anytime we can use TNT and captured weapons, we got some spare time for workshops to produce somethign else. Thus we have incentive to make use of what we have on hands.

The martian emp rifle is okay, and so is the human emp rifle. The latter can be a part of EMP close combat arsenal: Equip magnetic enhancer, martian lightning sword, and human emp rifle. can shoot at medium-close range, and smack things at melee range.

The martian plasma gun is bleh because too slow in aiming and shoot, too slow in ball travelling.

The human lightning balls is even more bleh because it require tech with driving training. Who would have spare time to get out of workshop, I ask you? Maybe the rare Cydonia gate missions. So I made one as trophy gun and untouched.

The human plasma gun (annihilator) is actually better than expected. it shoot a straight line of fire in the way of warp cannon but better because most of time wasting in readying gun. The actual time shoot is equal to a rifle (1.5-2 sec) and we can shoot thrice (standard battery) or 6 (advanced) before reloading and therefore waste time to readying gun again.

All that and gatling dont have any accessory, so it's abig minus.

I use a lot of stimulants to supplement combat capability.

Ramirezol and marthamphetamine and reticulin for shooters.

Marthamphetamine only, for melee fighter.

So major medicine solsci has plenty of use.

---------

So because I gave up, I attack Zephyria main fortress before even the primary key gate which is one complete hard battle the last game I run to this way.

The two stage battle is meh, I say. Easier than primary key gate mission, because that one has a pretty flat terrain, no where to set up defensive formation. This one? Slap in marthamphetamine plus powershield and you can use one soldier to test the minefield. All the rest? NOthing before the power of 7 chem-up shooters in defensive corner. The amount of hostiles are laughable.

I consider this mission is a failure of design. As a FINAL BATTLE which win the game even if you leave several zones left in alien hands, it's too few hostiles.