467 replies to this topic

#441 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

"People zipping around downtown on the scooters"; "By the time the rollout in Sheboygan is complete, about 100 scooters will be available" - so, how good are your dodging skills, Zombie? Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Kidding aside, you know there's going to be a spike in accidents with both pedestrians and bicyclists, right?

We've had our fair share of such unpleasant accidents in Lisbon and they're not to be dismissed overly casually. Here's a brief article on the subject from a couple of years ago.

So, watch you step. Such proximity means some broken vases are not entirely out of the question either. Posted Image

As for your side planting project, I do think you've nailed it. The plants look nice. They're discrete and tasteful too and do seem hardy, so they're rather light on maintenance.

Of course, the downside is you've created a little bottleneck for yourself as said maintenance needs will coincide in time as you've just experienced in your latest "sunbathing" bout.

Time to hedge your bets in that plant lineup? *wink, wink* Posted Image

#442 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 09:23 AM

Don't you dare worry about the paint. Joe will take care of it.
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#443 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:12 AM

View PostThorondor, on 05 June 2021 - 02:54 PM, said:

"People zipping around downtown on the scooters"; "By the time the rollout in Sheboygan is complete, about 100 scooters will be available" - so, how good are your dodging skills, Zombie? Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Kidding aside, you know there's going to be a spike in accidents with both pedestrians and bicyclists, right?

And cars too. Some of the scooters are downtown from us (so it's south east of the store) which runs about 10 blocks south to north (12 blocks if you are generous). It ends at the street the store is on and unofficially continues west past the store. Most of the scooters I've seen are along our street. There are a lot of bars around us so it wouldn't surprise me if there will eventually be some "driving" while intoxicated accidents. Even sober, teens have really no idea how to use a scooter on the road. The second day they came out there were 3 teens cutting across the busy street with no regards for cars at all. ;)

We've had our fair share of such unpleasant accidents in Lisbon and they're not to be dismissed overly casually. Here's a brief article on the subject from a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the info. :)

Time to hedge your bets in that plant lineup? *wink, wink* Posted Image

Actually, there are a few gravestones where relatives planted a yew "hedge" in front (or off to the side) of it thinking they will never have to do any maintenance. Wrong. They grow pretty fast and need a trimming every year to keep them from getting overgrown. Eventually the thing gets too overgrown which causes all sorts of problems (ground heaving due to the big rootball, weeds because the shrub shades the ground, invites chipmunks, ground squirrels and woodchucks because of the shelter it provides and of course, long grass because the mowers can't get close enough to the bush to cut the grass. It's a real mess. Next to old bossmans grave we had to dig one out which wasn't easy. Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#444 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:25 AM

Today I was doing some more planting at the cemetery. Another hot uncomfortable day unfortunately. Anyhow, I saw this car come rolling over near me and a guy got out to look at a grave. Before he left, he made a beeline over to me to ask if I worked for the cemetery. Nope, I do not, I'm planting while on the job at the flowershop. Needless to say, I think I'll be planting one or two more gravestones this year as he seemed interested. ;) Do you see why I get more and more stones every year?

I turned the back cooler off again last weekend and it had a chance to dry out in there finally. Took a peek at the floor in there and there are a couple areas where the paint started to bubble up so it looks like I'll be doing a little touchup on it. I'll probably put another coat on the threshold of the one red door again and I still want to put another coat on the long table in the backroom (kinda been putting this off). I want to try to get the cooler floor done first as you never know when it has to be turned on again. The other areas can wait until a less hot and humid day is forecast. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#445 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:31 PM

It's good to be appreciated before one is pushing up daisies, right, Zombie? ;)

And, suprise, surprise - painting projects becon thee once again. As you say, never done but you're quite proactive so things never really get out of hand with you on site. :)

#446 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:27 AM

So I was back at the cemetery again today, this time planting some of the grave sites. I didn't get it all done, but most of the paying customers are complete and finished. Here's what the featured grave stone planting looks like.

DSC00097JPG.jpg

In the back are 4 lavender-pink geraniums, in front of that is 2 packs (8 plants) of pink petunias and the whitish plants in the front are dusty miller (2 packs, this time 12 plants). A lot of people think it takes a lot of plants to fill up a grave, but it's honestly not that bad - especially if you have 4 perennials coming back every year. On this particular grave I normally use salmon or peach geraniums, but we didn't have a lot of that color left at the store so pink it was (I try to use up the colors we have the most of so as not to wipe our selection out).

Some graves (like this one) are "dealers choice" meaning I have complete control over what plants go in, the quantity and color. Other graves have specific colors to abide by, but here again, I have control over how many of each to use (some years the geraniums are big and bushy and thus require less plants to fill an area). Still other graves are requested to contain only perennials. There's one grave I do that's so small it doesn't pay to put in a perennial as I can fill it up with just annuals for cheaper so that's the oddball in the bunch. Eventually I might stick a couple perennials in there though - it depends if I have another grave site with some perennials that don't look so full, I might dig those up and use them for the small grave. It's kind of a strategy thing when you boil it down. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#447 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:56 PM

The pictured ensemble works very well, Zombie.

I can see how a dash of peach geraniums in there would fit in quite perfectly too as an alternative pairing. There are different shades of green foliage and the mix of shapes and sizes captivates the eye.

It's fair to say that, as demonstrated, people are very safe in trusting your "dealers choice" arrangements. Posted Image

#448 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:33 PM

Ha, you might have stumbled upon a well paying niche job, Z! "Flowering your dead loved ones inc." :D

Personally I'm more in favour of pure stone, no maintenance. People have been stealing flowers (even some pigmey bushes) from my father's grave, so I proposed to close up the hole in the stone with a stone lid. My mom did not like the idea...

#449 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:16 AM

Last week I was cleaning out one of our delivery vans. The carpeting on the floor under the drivers side was caked full of dried up crystalized salt (from melting snow in winter). Tried scraping it off with a putty knife but had 0 luck with that as it was stuck too tight to the carpet fibers. What to do... hmmm? I went full out this time and doused the crusted areas with soapy water, brushed it in, then I went around to the passenger side with the garden hose and sprayed out the drivers side with water. Worked great, but now I had a flooded drivers side to contend with. I used a rubber squeegee to scrape the majority of the standing water out the door, then got out the wet/dry vac and sucked the carpeting as dry as I could. Put a fan on it with the door open and it dried in an hour or so. Looks beautiful now! Posted Image

While I was waiting for the carpeting to dry, I decided to clean out the back. For delivery, we have a 4x8 foot sheet of 5/8 inch thick plywood to protect the floor and on top of that is an indoor/outdoor commercial mat (these are commonly used in entrance ways to stores and such - we got a few of these for free a long time ago when a grocery store was throwing them out because they were showing their age). We use the mats because our vase delivery boxes and crates "grab" on to the mat and prevents stuff from sliding around or tipping over. Took out the mat and cleaned it off with some bleach and bucket cleaner then rinsed it off and let it sit in the sun to dry (The bleach doesn't leave marks on the commercial carpeting as those are made out of plastics and rubber).

I was looking at the 4x8 sheet of plywood and it it was pretty dark with who knows what (probably just ground in dirt, it wasn't black mold or anything nasty). I can't just clean the mat and not do something to the wood, that's just wrong. Well, out comes the bleach again. Used a 50% diluted solution of that with water and some bucket cleaner, this is after rinsing.

DSC00098JPG.jpg

That did diddly squat. Time to bring out the big guns: 50% straight beach with 50% wooden deck cleaner and some bucket soap. Scrubbed on that with a rough broom for a little while then applied a second coat and scrubbed some more. After rinsing.

DSC00099JPG.jpg

It's a lot better, that's for sure. But the wood is still dark in spots. I was honestly out of options at this point as straight bleach and deck cleaner is about as caustic as I can make it. Had to call it good enough - left it in the shed to dry overnight. This is what it looked like the next morning:

DSC00100JPG.jpg

Even better. Still not perfect but at least the dark spots kinda disappeared. (Maybe the dark spots were from ground in rubber from the back of the mat)? The only issue was that all the scrubbing I did raised the grain of the wood and caused fibers to stick out all over. I ended up sanding the board by hand with 50 grit sandpaper against the grain (lightly) to loosen up those fibers. If you ever have to do something like this I would highly suggest using a random orbit sander with 100 grit sandpaper - it would still loosen up the fibers without causing a lot of deep scratches because of the random obits the pad makes. Anyhow, you can see the commercial mat to the right of the board drying out. This is what it looks like back in the van:

DSC00101JPG.jpg

At least everything is fresh and clean again. Have to do a little more detailing inside yet when I get the chance... clean windows and the vinyl and plastic parts and then apply some Armor All protectant to give it the new van look. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#450 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:48 AM

So now I know, Zombie - that's what they call an overnight sensation! ;)

After the initial post-bleach & deck cleaner defiant impression of "That's all you got? Ha!" :P I sure didn't expect that plywood to so dramatically improve upon drying.

Goes to show once again you know the strength of your chemicals. Orbit sander finisher: noted.

All I'd maybe add as a final touch would be something like an odor absorbing air freshener (example).

Regardless, van ready to ship out! :)

#451 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 07:09 PM

One of the most impressive things about your work, IMO, is that you take something others would toss away as unusable and buy a new thing (board in this case)... and make it look - at least in the majority of the area - better than it ever did.

#452 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 03:11 AM

View PostThorondor, on 23 June 2021 - 09:48 AM, said:

All I'd maybe add as a final touch would be something like an odor absorbing air freshener (example). Regardless, van ready to ship out! Posted Image

Our vans never smell bad. It's not like we store stinky gym socks in there or something. The only air freshener we have is the natural perfumes of the flowers. Posted Image

View PostSpace Voyager, on 25 June 2021 - 07:09 PM, said:

One of the most impressive things about your work, IMO, is that you take something others would toss away as unusable and buy a new thing (board in this case)... and make it look - at least in the majority of the area - better than it ever did.

Thanks. Part of the reason I end up reusing, refurbishing or fixing existing items is because I do not have any kind of maintenance budget to draw from. Well, that's not entirely true, if something is beyond my capabilities or doesn't pay to fix I'll petition the bossman for a new one (or if it's small, I'll find one lightly used off eBay for cheap). Most often it would just take too much time to get something new rather than fix what you already have. And with COVID, I'd much rather stay at work than going shopping. Posted Image

Well I promised you guys I'd show you how I make smaller boxes from larger ones so there's no time like the present. In the past, flowers came in big coffin-style cardboard boxes with approximate dimensions 48x20x12 inches or 122x51x30 cm (which I assume is optimized for shipping on wood pallets). Sometimes you do not need the enormous quantities a box this big holds so smaller boxes are used (but based off the big one). There are half-boxes (half as high as a full size box) and quarter boxes (half as wide as a half box). A lot of our flowers these days are shipped in what I call eighth boxes (half as high as a quarter box) with approximate dimensions of 48x10x3 inches or 122x25x8 cm. Our suppliers do not take back this size box because they are just too small to reuse. We used to recycle them but I noticed that they are just a little different from normal beer flats which we use a ton of. Beer flat:

Posted Image

Getting empty beer flats isn't hard or expensive, most liquor stores or convenience stores will probably save them for you to pick up. But it boils down to time. It takes a long time to sort the boxes out by type and stack them up (all are slightly different). If I make them up myself, everything is uniform. Heck, you can even purchase unfolded beer flats yourself from Uline supply. Anyhow, here's a pic of an eighth box with carnations:

DSC00102JPG.jpg

There is a plastic strap which holds the carnations from moving around. All of the boxes from this company have 3 holes for strapping even though not all flowers require a strap. These holes are spaced out evenly in the center of the long side of the box so it makes it dirt easy to figure out the center. These boxes are way too long for us to use as-is, but if they are half as long they are almost perfect. So step 1 is to cut the sides down in the center:

DSC00103JPG.jpg

I just use a Victorinox paring knife for this part as I can cut through both layers at once. After that, step 2 is to cut the base:

DSC00104JPG.jpg

I use a utility knife for this step and all other cutting steps. Now the box is in half. But we only have 3 sides. Time to construct the final side ourselves. It's a little difficult to explain, but you need to cut the two edges the same length as the box is high. After that you need to score the base so it folds up nicely (can't cut completely through)! This is step 3:

DSC00105JPG.jpg

The next step is optional, but I like to fold the bottom up first, then fold the side flaps over that so the sides are properly creased (alternatively you could score the cardboard like you did for the bottom, but this takes more time). This is step 4:

DSC00106JPG.jpg

You could stop right here and staple the box together and it would be fine. I like to staple the box together with the flaps on the inside of the box so it doesn't "catch" on things (plus it looks nicer). I've been using two regular ACE clipper staples for each flap as I ran out of heavy duty ACE clipper staples (my suppliers can't get them even though they are listed on the ACE clipper website and ACE will not sell to a non-wholesaler like myself). Anyway step 5:

DSC00107JPG.jpg

And that's all there is to it. After I staple some together I stack them up so they are easier to store inside our old-time styrofoam full size flower boxes (you can refer back to a pic in this post if you want). Granted, I have it easy because these boxes have a center already marked. It's possible to make up a smaller box like this without the handy holes but you either have to guess at the center, or mark it, or make some marks on a table to use as a template. In any case it's a handy skill to have for a Zombie Apocalypse or just to show off. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#453 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 03:05 PM

Well, thanks for that; it's all now properly stored away in my mind, Zombie. Posted Image

Your explanation on how to cut to the extent a resulting fourth side would become of the same desired height as the other sides is quite understandable, particularly because the purpose is evident and well captured in your pictures.

What I'd say is especially fortunate for you is that the end size of the box - post fourth side "fabrication" - meets your intended storage requirements, seeing as the original boxes have a center marked but they are then "shortened" as a result of your process, so making the completed boxes of less than half of the length of the source box.

If I'm making sense to you... Posted Image

#454 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 08:01 AM

He he he, at the second photo, I just had to think about
Flowers
By
Irene
:D

But yes, pretty neat way to transform a box of less useful dimensions (with that length probably prone to folding whenever you put anything but flowers in it) into two much sturdier items. Tnx.

#455 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 03:32 AM

Last week was bucket brigade cleanup again. We had a bunch of used buckets from Mother's Day which were sitting there idle so it was time to bleach them clean. Because it was warm outside I could use the hose to rinse off the buckets then haul them into the back garage and stack them up. I kinda lost track of how many buckets I did, bit it was North of 150, that's for sure.

DSC00108JPG.jpg

I didn't have enough room to stack everything so the 5-gallon white pails had to wait, and there were at least 30 of those plus a good stack of 2 1/2 gallon pails. I figure those can be rinsed off along with our usual pail cleanup every week. So you can probably guess what I'll be up to on Friday. ;)

On thing which was bothering me was the small planting area along the South side of the small garage. Recall I dug out all the dirt, replaced it with cow manure, and planted White Coneflowers, Canterbury Bells and Corkscrew Rush grass. The Canterbury Bells were nice for a couple years but they were only biennials (only come back once or two seasons of growing then die out). The Corkscrew rush was a good idea but just didn't survive the harsh conditions along the garage so only one of those survived. Anyhow, this is what it looked like (see, I remembered a before pic this time):

DSC00109JPG.jpg

A weedy mess, plus there were some 4" wide x 10 foot lengths of green PVC pipe I was storing along the garage temporarily. Time to put those away, get rid of the weeds, and replant with something else. We didn't have much of a selection of perennials left over, but we did have some Pink nodding allium (in the onion family and supposedly a Wisconsin native plant so it should survive). Put in 9 of those and capped off the end with a Stella d'Oro daylily.

DSC00110JPG.jpg

The new plants got a fresh "charge" of granular starter fertilizer at the bottom of each hole. Hopefully that'll give them a good footing. From start to end, this project took only one hour so I was pretty impressed how quickly I got it done. The alliums and lily are kinda scrawny right now so I doubt they will get much bigger this year yet. I'm hoping that next year the alliums will grow enough to set flowers in July, because I figure I can "harvest" some of them for cheap cut flowers. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#456 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 09:21 AM

Sounds like a real bucketload of work you've got done there already, Zombie. Posted Image

As for the small planting area, that before picture reminds me of just how nature tends to go its own way regardless of how neatly things are set out - only to end up looking shaggy and unruly once again.

To wind back the clock and refresh our memory some more:

• August 4th 2019 - 3 white coneflowers (Echinacea), 6 Canterbury Bells (Campanula) and 8 Corkscrew Rush grass (Juncus) + black-eyed Susan

small_plntng_area_sth_side_sm_garage_04-08-2019.jpg

• June 25th 2020

small_plntng_area_sth_side_sm_garage_25-06-2020.jpg

So, here's to new beginnings and may we all prove as resilient as those plants, that we may see what you've now started flourish next July.

Thinking of seasons and enduring the weather, I do notice the weathering of those wooden door frames.

*David Attenborough voice* And thus the cycle of restoration seamlessly continues... Posted Image

#457 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 04:07 AM

Today I had a little bit of time at the end of the day so I started work on that bedroom in the lower flat which needs major help. Initially this was just a storage room for the shop, but the tenant subleased this out to a gal who was whacked out on who knows what. First step was to clear it out as there was some furniture in there, a seat for one of our delivery vans and a futon (ours). The only thing I couldn't move out of the room myself was the futon frame as it's really heavy and can't be easily disassembled. No problem, I'll work around it. Here are the four walls (clockwise from entering):

DSC00112JPG.jpg DSC00113JPG.jpg DSC00114JPG.jpg DSC00115JPG.jpg

That first wall is a real mess as there are some pretty big gouges and nail/screw holes:

DSC00118JPG.jpg DSC00119JPG.jpg DSC00120JPG.jpg

The other walls are not quite as bad but all have some issues. Two walls were half-assed painted in an accent color and one even had black painted flower stencils on the wall. The last wall (the one to the right of the door leading into the room) had a big crack so I ended up carefully scraping the area around it down to the plaster, then scratched out the crack to make it wider (seems counterintuitive to make a crack bigger in order to fix it, but you need to get something inside to bond the pieces back together). Here's the crack taped up with fiberglass mesh tape:

DSC00121JPG.jpg

I put a coat of mud on that and filled in the rest of the divots and holes on that wall with caulk. I also started on the third wall (basically working counterclockwise) and yup, there was a bad crack on that one as well. I just mudded those cracks in and I'll come back after sanding to apply tape over that. I'll get pics of that tomorrow. :)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#458 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:57 AM

That place has more than a fair share of pockmarks, Zombie. ;)

The door seen to the left in the first picture has all sorts of surface "features", including even some grayish (mouldy?) spots that continue upwards to the very ceiling.

In a way, I'm kind of surprised to see there was at least some attempt (even if half-hearted), by either the tenant or subleaser, to repair some of the holes.

At the risk of getting a little philosophical, I'd say the state of the place is sort of reflective of the condition of the person that was inhabiting it.

By your hand, it is well known, things will now start to mend so better times are ahead.

#459 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,597 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 02:38 AM

View PostThorondor, on 08 July 2021 - 08:57 AM, said:

The door seen to the left in the first picture has all sorts of surface "features", including even some grayish (mouldy?) spots that continue upwards to the very ceiling.

I had a closer look at that last week and it isn't mold. The spots were visibly raised above the surface of the door so I lightly scraped at it with a putty knife. I still wasn't quite sure what it was so I continued at it until my putty knife had a bunch of the stuff on it. I mushed it between my fingers and it seemed waxy and oily at the same time. When I tried washing my hands, water beaded up on the fingers that touched the stuff so it's some type of oily compound. Maybe dried hand lotion? I honestly have no idea. Since I know it's oily, that means paint thinner can remove it - I'll have to wipe down the wall and door to see if that works. Posted Image

So I worked on the room a little bit more last week and scraped out the wannabe patches on the next wall. Some were pretty deep... all the way down to the wood lathe behind the plaster. Before and after repatching.

DSC00122JPG.jpg DSC00124JPG.jpg

Better. The wall with the window on it wasn't too bad, I only patched one small hole to the upper right of the window and also another hole near the right corner.

DSC00126JPG.jpg

The last wall had some issues so I had to do some bigger patch jobs. One above the closet door and a couple spots to the left corner.

DSC00127JPG.jpg

The next day some of the deeper spots still hadn't dried fully so I ended up digging a little bit of the patching out, taping over the low area and then mudding the area. This time I put a fan in the room on full blast so the next day I checked it was all dry. Then the unenviable task of sanding the spots commenced. My recommendation for cleanup is to sweep as much of the dust as you can first, then vacuum whatever is left so as not to clog up the filter on the vacuum. Anyhow, the last thing I did that day was to remove the plastic switch plate and the two outlet plates and soak them in ammonia (78%?... as strong as you can get it) with soap overnight. The next day lightly brush the plates to remove any stains and lightly scrape any old paint off - I guarantee they will look brand new... no need to replace them. Posted Image

With everything sanded I considered it time to put some texture over the spots in order to conceal my handiwork.Posted Image  You can do this manually with a trowel and a large taping knife, but I don't have the tools or experience to do this decently so I opted for a spray on texture using this product (Homax knockdown texture):

Posted Image

It looks so easy, but don't be fooled, it's not. There are no instructions on the can on how to get the thing to spray, it literally took me 20 minutes to figure it out. The dial on the top for the blob size never really worked properly. Open it a little bit and the stuff would tend to collect around the nozzle and start to ooze down the can dripping it all over you or the floor. Open it too much and the nozzle would fall off causing a huge mess. Many a profanity was uttered through my mouth to put it mildly.Posted Image I only got the can to spray semi-decently on one setting (right in the middle) which was too heavy for my liking but it'll have to do

DSC00129JPG.jpg DSC00130JPG.jpg

If I paint now it would probably be passable from a distance, but not up close. I might try to lightly sand the texture down to a better height to match, dunno yet. That would probably help though. Posted Image

Yesterday I caulked the crack between the quarter round molding and the baseboard and also selectively caulked any cracks between the baseboard and the wall. Today I taped up the floor around the perimeter of the room and painted the baseboard and quarter round molding. I also painted the frame around the closet door. Looks a lot better now (sorry no pics of this). Up next is to wipe the wall and door with paint thinner to remove that residue, then paint the door frame and window frame. Possibly after that I'll prime the textured spots and put a light coat of paint on it because the only other step is to roll on a coat of paint and call it good enough. I like the sound of that. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#460 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,532 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:28 AM

Nice and steady Zombie will get your flat ready. Posted Image

Patching things up is getting to be a quite literal job description but progress is remarkable already - no more cratering!

I see you've had a bad case of "spray and pray" there with that Homax delivery system. The described operation does seem to justify some of the adjust nozzle, and expletives to match, action. Posted Image

Looking at the results you've achieved though, it turned out serviceable alright.

I do agree that some sanding would still be adviseable for the texture not to stand out as much and, of course, reach that lofty advertised goal of an "invisible repair".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users