Who have X-Com Apocalypse Beta1? write pls

makus

@makus thanks for asking this. Hopefully we'll get results that can assist with OpenApoc

Just an update on .exe modified dates for those versions (i've booted up my disk with the damaged copies on)

Beta 2 - 12th/6/1997 - Uniform date across all components

Beta 1 - A mix of dates ranging from 23/3/1997 through 20/4/1997

Debug - Dates starting 14/12/1996 through 11/2/1997

It's worth noting that the "Apocalypse Cheats" were only for these versions and were "leaked" on to the web during development. We were never meant to see them. Indeed the original cheats file explicitly states they were never to be shared outside of Microprose/Mythos.

The "Debug" version is the holy grail. It was the last version with most of the semi-implemented features present. Things started to be cut-out from Beta1

The main difference between Beta1 and Beta2 is the removal of multiplayer due to synch issues (peer-peer)

Beta1 used to crash every few minutes if i recall correctly whether in MP or SP. By Beta2 that crash had just become the black prompt that appears all the time... Never knew what it was...

Wish I did not throw away that CD where I had pirated copy of X-COM Apocalypse. Reading from the desciption I guess it was Beta 2 because I remember having issues with it. Either the AI turn did not end or it had DOS4GW crash. It also was a version where you could buy Mind Shield and every buyable item was on the market despite being unvailable from the start like the Marsec Armor or plasma gun, also the Retribution missile had unlimited ammo.

I had a look at what I have but mostly everything is 6/25/1997 or 6/17/1997. The Polish version was something really late like 7/1998 which was strange. Other than that, looked through my old files to see if I had anything in that, but no. Almost everything was the Collector's Edition which I used to help j'ordos decipher part of the exe. ;)

There's probably someone out there who has a pirated version like silencer mentioned.

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

I'll see what I can do. The Debug exe isn't going to be in any of the stuff I have, pretty sure on that. Is there any differentiating features between beta 1 & 2 besides date? Is the exe file size the same?

Many thanks Zombie, no apart from the removal of Beta1 multiplayer functionality due to desynchs there is little functional difference between Beta1 and Beta2.

Most of the stuff that is different are in the form of PCK files that were no longer in use but included in the Beta1 distribution in the same way the long defunct planet.pck was still included in Beta2.

That said if you do have ANYTHING earlier than Beta 2 then it will greatly help the OpenApoc project.