To Celebrations Galactic!

Thorondor

• 2 weeks later...

ss_fcf15d536bf828c21fccab97656d0b854e81ef14.600x338.jpg?t=1550771807

What started as a crusade has become a war of retribution.

Across the galaxy, ancient alien artifacts are being discovered, giving civilizations powerful new capabilities. Meanwhile, as civilizations try to carefully balance building an economy, funding an ever growing war machine, and engaging in diplomacy, the humans of Sol III have invented a game-changing new technology - Hypergates - which, when connected, allow for rapid transit across the galaxy.

With two new major civilizations and the concluding campaign to the Galactic Civilizations III backstory that serves this massive space 4X sandbox game, Retribution asks the question: How will you rule your galaxy?

::

Galactic Civilizations III's Retribution Expansion DLC is now out and available on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

9ee0d765833c0afcb4883e784dc47ad5f838820d_400x225.png

Worlds in Crisis introduces several new world events with ideological choices, new planet types, and over a dozen new planet features. Long-time players will find many new strategic options while players picking up the game for the very first time will also encounter exciting new experiences.

In Worlds in Crisis, players may encounter worlds struggling with crises from planetary mutations, to raging pandemics, to murderers on the loose, and much more. Each crisis tells a planet's story and the player's decisions on how to handle them will determine how it resolves in the end.

Galactic Civilizations III's upcoming "Worlds in Crisis" DLC and the major v4.0 update to the base game have now been revealed here. The DLC is purportedly "coming soon".

• 11 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPGcO514Us

The newest installment of its award-winning space 4X strategy sandbox game series takes the best of what its predecessors had to offer and adds to it with many new and exciting features.

As the all-powerful leader of a spacefaring civilization, the player must seek out new star systems and discover the exciting potential of the subspace realm. There are thousands of worlds to colonize and dozens of civilizations - both old and new - to encounter.

Galactic Civilizations IV is currently slated to be released sometime next year.

Wargamer's Joe Robinson writes a little more about what to expect here. Stardock's own Brad Wardell has kind of foreshadowed some of this previously as well here.

[Official site]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I just wanted to point out that this series (not sure about 4) uses XML files. Not only can you create Events, you could modify the research tree. IMO 2 was the best in the series, we'll see how fair 4 goes. I liked the metaverse where you could share your creations. I dabbled in it, created races from MOO2 and implemented them into the game which was downloaded many many times.

However, I was not happy with the third games DLC, if you wish look at the reviews on Steam and you'll see that the bulk of DLC was just a cash grab which didn't really add enough to the base game to justify the price.

As a huge fan of Master of Orion/Gal Civ series I wait with baited breath on this and hope that Stardock won't become what EA is.

-n0x

Well, n0x, from what I can tell they're intent on changing quite a few aspects of the game for this sequel (namely with regards to affording some more macro level empire management instead of constantly required microing).

I've read dev diaries where they are even mindful of the so-called onboarding experience (a player's first contact with the game and how the game eases that from the get go).

They're striving to improve the overall formula too instead of simply rehashing it, but that can prove tricky as we've seen in other series in the genre, so it's good they're testing it as they are in these betas.

We'll see how things ultimately pan out upon full release.

Thanks for insight Thor, I usually follow the news in regards to the 4X strategy genre. Good to see you still do what you do, otherwise this game announcement wouldn't have been on my radar. Hopefully they can improve, I agree.

The last thing we need is for this series to turn out like Moo3, which was so damn tedious I think looking back I might have played 20 hours and threw the CD's back into the box. Where as with Moo 1&2 I spent hundreds of hours on those games when I was in my teens. Hell, I still have the official strategy guides to this day sitting on one of my bookshelves.

-n0x