33 replies to this topic

#21 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I started a new Classic Ironman. I have two snipers, two supports, one assault, all the rest on the roster are heavies. A heavy after heavy... But lately this is saving my arse. A terror mission with two Cyberdiscs and a group of Chryssalids all at the same time, from two directions, all home in on my group at the landing site. The two heavies shred them to pieces, even the rookie lived through.

Rockets are just phenomenal, area effect and very good accuracy. Fragments? Tell Cyberdiscs I don't give a damn about that grenade. And Chryssalids... Well. Posted Image

#22 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

All the classes can be excellent when used right.

My first complete playthrough had me using 3~4 heavies (due to the distribution of the Gifted units). They rocked despite their low accuracy progression, which seriously isn't as bad as many make it out to be. SCOPE them up, Bullet Swarm, pretend you are an Assault and get up close (and maybe flank) with the help of Skeleton and later Ghost Armor, or at least use your sure-hit weapons like grenades, shredders and normal rocket/blaster bombs. Once you get the blaster launcher upgrade, you no longer have to set up line of sight, just minimum firing distance and not worry at all about closed doors. Then Psi Heavies... Merry Christmas.

Built right, they're monsters. At least, in a more spread-out sense when compared to a high critical Assault with an Alloy cannon.

Funnily enough, despite my general lean towards the explodey builds, the one solider that I decided to take the supression fire route started racking up more kills than my best heavy in 1/3rd of the number of missions. With only 1 rocket, most of the kills were done with ordinary attacks. I'd credit the SCOPE and lots of indoor fighting for that.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#23 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

The issue with heavies is choosing your mixture. My top Heavy on my current CI game has Bullet Swarm, Suppression, Danger Zone, HEAT Ammo and Mayhem. I wanted a unit packed for gun duels while keeping an antiarmor ability.
But her mate has Holo-Targeting, Shredder, Danger Zone, HEAT and Rocketeer. Both units are a good complement of one another to take down any large targets - the Holo guy marks it and removes cover while the Gunner can kill it afterwards.
And a Rocket with Danger Zone and Mayhem... well that's 9 damage (using plasma) over a large area, or 18 against Robotic targets, or 12 (if you have Blaster Launcher) or 24 against Robotic targets... (if 24 is possible, never saw it yet)
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#24 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Oooh, hadn't thought about the possibility of 24 damage that way but it sounds like it should work given the skills and tech you chose.
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#25 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Pete, on 26 November 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

Oooh, hadn't thought about the possibility of 24 damage that way but it sounds like it should work given the skills and tech you chose.

Unless there's a damage maximum, which is also something I'm looking to test. Posted Image

EDIT: Just got a 16 damage hit on a Sectopod using a regular rocket. I'm starting to love the Suppress+HEAT+Mayhem+Danger Zone to deal with Sectopods - the Heavy advances, suppresses the Sectopod (6 points of damage right there) gives him a -30 Aim to miss its cannon fire and then shoots the Rocket on the next turn. And with Blaster Launcher it gets even better.

EDIT2: 24 Damage confirmed - Heavy + Suppression + Mayhem + HEAT + Blaster Launcher - this is the best anti-Sectopod weapon! First you suppress it and deal it 6 points of damage (plus getting rid of any close Drones) while restricting its Aim by 30%, then the Blaster Launcher finishes the Sectopod. And you only need 1 unit to do it! :D :D :D

#26 whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I seem to get lucky with finding sci heavies, and at relatively low level the bullet swarm skill allows you to make a very versatile sci soldier. As long as you shoot first you can fire once on a strong alien for good damage, and take down a weaker alien with mindfray in the same turn from almost any range with nearly 100% accuracy.

Once they're up to higher promotions, they take relatively little damage while in cover, and firing a heavy plasma and mind controlling an enemy in the same turn makes them one of the best units to completely ruin an alien advance. They will quickly take cover or fall back when faced with one of these guys, and in the next turn you can wipe out the cover with a rocket to open them up for your snipers with "in the zone"

#27 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

whirlingdervish, on 04 December 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

I seem to get lucky with finding sci heavies, and at relatively low level the bullet swarm skill allows you to make a very versatile sci soldier. As long as you shoot first you can fire once on a strong alien for good damage, and take down a weaker alien with mindfray in the same turn from almost any range with nearly 100% accuracy.

Once they're up to higher promotions, they take relatively little damage while in cover, and firing a heavy plasma and mind controlling an enemy in the same turn makes them one of the best units to completely ruin an alien advance. They will quickly take cover or fall back when faced with one of these guys, and in the next turn you can wipe out the cover with a rocket to open them up for your snipers with "in the zone"

I got 3 Psionic Heavies on my current game - after getting and using the 2nd I decided I needed to try a third. The issue to me is that Psionics unbalances the game towards the human player like the original - Heavies benefit like all other classes from the player using it.

#28 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

So much to do and all you need is 2 assaults with plasma rifles / alloy cannons :P And they can be captains not colonels :P
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

NKF Wrote :

SCOPE them up

I agree completely, I don't care much for the heavies, but when I do use them I always make sure they have a scope for that added extra muscle.
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#30 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Scope do help them - but even so a captain at mid range will have something of 50-65% chance of hitting anything. I might try to convice myself to give them grenades and get that 2 grenades options - should be 3 like medic.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#31 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

On no, not anything. Mutons. Those big brutes that seem to present an incredibly small target, dammit.

#32 Tammy

Tammy

Her Imperial Majesty

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Assault is my current favorite, though I'm still mourning the loss of "snake eyes," my beloved sniper, and I'm getting rather attached to "boom boom," my heavy who makes a very respectable number of kills despite her stripper nickname.

Oooh, also, I have a soldier now whose name looks so much like Ki-tat Chung that every time I see it, that's what I read. Should just change his name, but then what if something happens to him? :(
Queen and huntress, chaste and fair,
Now the sun is laid to sleep,
Seated in thy silver chair,
State in wonted manner keep:
Hesperus entreats thy light,
Goddess excellently bright.

#33 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Oh oh, what's his name??

#34 Tammy

Tammy

Her Imperial Majesty

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'll have to look, but it's so close to yours, that I just call him that. :)
Queen and huntress, chaste and fair,
Now the sun is laid to sleep,
Seated in thy silver chair,
State in wonted manner keep:
Hesperus entreats thy light,
Goddess excellently bright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users