#41 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 20 October 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Did you get the achievement ? If not there is more.

Silencer is right, if you got the Edison achievement then you researched everything, if not you missed some! For me I was one off as I needed to interrogate a floater and they simply stop coming later in the game! I'm trying again for that achievement in my easy game and going for the other one too that you get for taking one soldier on EVERY mission. It's taking quite some time as I have to be super careful with her but it's on easy so not too bad ;)
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#42 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

1 sniper should kill one with double tap. Alloy Cannon also with double fire works good against them.

View PostThe Veteran, on 21 October 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

interrogate a floater and they simply stop coming later

They are rarely seen in larger UFOs. Sectoids on other hand disappear completelty.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Actually I was missing a captured sectoid as well when I reached end game in my normal playthrough but was still able to get one in a small ufo. After that though I didn't see any more so guess I was just lucky with that one eh :D

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#44 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Apparently I missed Interrogating a Floater too, lol and....Fusion Lance
Guided Fusion Launcher. Bah, I think I'll do what you did Vet, and just play a game on easy.
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#45 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Make sure you start in a different location mate as you need to win a game in each of the five for another achievement ;) For the fusion weapons you need to do a battleship mission which is easy enough by reloading your other game but floaters (in my experience) are gone for good now!

#46 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Ye gods... achievement junkies.

#47 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

Whee! Won the game in October on Classic.

Never saw a battleship all game, though. And just barely managed to scrape together a crack team of four colonels, a major and a captain for the final mission, the rest of my soldiers were squaddies or worse. :)

#48 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Another old timer, checkin' in. =]

My final mission on first playthrough on Normal, had my crack team of Colonels: two Assaults with Alloy Cannons (Boomer from Germany and Cowboy from Scotland), two Snipers with Plasma Sniper Rifles (Deadbolt who's been Gollop'd, and Pharoh both from Germany), a Heavy with Heavy Plasma (Nuke... also from Germany. Gee, I didn't realise my top team was 2/3 German!) and a Support with Plasma Rifle (Stacks from South Africa). They stand in a tight formation just inside the corridor leading to the final room. I get Nuke to activate Inspiration to give everyone a Will boost, and then I send in Stacks as far in to the room as possible with Ghost activated. Cue unskippable and inaudible movie (I wonder if Uber Ethereal and Bane from Dark Knight Rises are buddies?). Massive WTF moment, as my support is now completely flanked. And at this point in time, all I know is that four new units have appeared behind him, given away by the purple puff of smoke one of which is an Elite who is standing right behind Stacks.

I Ghost and move my Assaults to the left and right wings to try and flank the enemy, having them dash as far as possible along the far walls before taking cover. Second WTF moment as the rest of the room is revealed, I now see there are two more Ethereals and another Elite Muton. I move Deadbolt forward to the left balcony so I can MC the Elite Muton standing in front of the left ramp next to Stacks (hehe, 136 Will makes short work of those puny Elites). I get Pharoh to Headshot the remaining Elite, ending my turn. To my amusement, Uber Ethereal floats on down from his balcony next to the MC'd Elite, as does the Ethereal on the right wing. Well, the amusement stopped when Uber tries to MC Deadbolt from all the way across the room... (now I think about it though, if I could MC the Elite, then Uber could MC me) but it fails! Haha, eat my 136 Will! At this point, I'm super glad I activated Inspire before entering the chamber. Now both remaining Ethereals do their Psi Phing and go on to kill the Elite. Well, no chip off my shoulder, that's one less enemy to take care of.

My turn starts, and Stacks is revealed. I get Nuke to shoot a rocket in the middle of the room to try and splash some damage, but I must have put the cursor on the wrong level or something since it looked like it went right in the middle of the Ethereals, but no damage is dealt to anyone. I put Boomer, who took the left flank, into Ghost mode, activate Run&Gun, and make a dash almost right next to the Ethereal still standing in the left wing (one tile away to protect him from splash damage on Ethereal's death). Double shot with Alloy cannon, +50% crit damage from Run&Gun and +100% crit chance with Ghost should make short work of the Ethreal, right? Damn damage reflect on first shot! Left side Ethereal is left with 5 HP. Similar move by Cowboy on the Ethereal on the right luckily takes him out. Pharoh snipes at the Ethereal on the left, which takes him out, before Double Tapping on Uber, who gets a nasty reflect back. Deadbolt takes two shots at Uber, the Headshot gets through but the remaining shot reflects back at her leaving Uber on 6 HP. Now left with one remaining unit with Action Points left, Stacks activates Ghost for the 100% crit chance, he turns around and runs up almost next to Uber. One shot is 76% chance of hitting, with 100% chance of crit. I pray, and hit the 1 key to tell Stacks to shoot with the last remaining Action Point... and the shot lands!

I tell you, while EU'12 is a lot more streamlined and simplified compared to the originals and seems very buggy (my overall sentiments are very similar to Vet and Alan), you still have the essence of the games. It's great, looking forward to my second play through on either Normal Ironman or Classic regular.

#49 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

So there's me whining about later missions and the final mission being a bit tricky on my first playthrough - I'm now playing on Classic, which is quite simply brutal, but I did read that the Blaster Launcher is available somewhere later in the game.

Obviously my first playthrough was a bit rushed, so I look forward to entering the final mission again at some point with the right tools for the job this time, instead of light plasma rifles and pea-shooters ;)

Has anyone gone into the final mission with a Blaster Launcher? Did it help?
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#50 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I did. If Heavy could fire rocket and move it would be useful. The range of rockets/blaster launcher is not that great. The damage of Blaster Launcher is 9 points If you would get that perk that increases damage I think you could do better but here you have a choice. Either 2 shots for 9 that in summary should be better than 1 shot that does 15 (I think). Your still best option is sniper with double tap and plasma sniper to the face of Uber Etheral. Or assaults with Run&Gun + Double Shot + Alloy Cannon to the face and of course Ghost Armour.

#51 Knan

Knan

Napalm squaddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Got half my team mind-controlled at the end there, but thankfully my sniper was still up and took out Uber Ethereal in the end, while the Volunteer ran for his life from a bunch of murderous teammates.

Anyone taken a SHIV in there? Useful?

#52 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostKnan, on 28 October 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Got half my team mind-controlled at the end there, but thankfully my sniper was still up and took out Uber Ethereal in the end, while the Volunteer ran for his life from a bunch of murderous teammates.

Anyone taken a SHIV in there? Useful?

It took me 5 attempts on my first try (on Classic, no Ironman) but afterwards it's easy. I equipped my 3 Heavies and 1 Assault with Psionic Shields (my 6 Colonels were all Psi Operatives but the Ethereals controlled nearly all of them before), left the Sniper on the door and the Support (Volunteer) next to him.

First I sent a controlled Muton Elite to the central lower part. Then after the animation I sent the Heavies forwards to those platforms, and had one of them activate the Telekynetic wall. The Ethereals either shot at my soldiers (but with 4 damage) or tried to control them (1 got controlled, even with the Mind Shield), but I kept firing Sniper shots and rockets and the High Ethereal (ignore all the others, once it's dead the others die as well) until it died.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#53 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

It wasn't apparent to me the first time through that you just have to kill the main guy - I realise it now of coerse, but I think it would have made that room a bit easer. Too easy maybe if you're lucky enough to make it into the room with a good line of sight and powerful weapons.

On Classic the health of many of the aliens is greatly increased so I look forward to doing this mission again with the right tools :)

#54 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

What's the Telekinetic wall?

#55 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostKi-tat Chung, on 29 October 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

What's the Telekinetic wall?

When a soldier reaches the last psi rank it can choose between that ability and Mind Control. It gives +40 Defense for 1 turn to all friendly units on its radius (about 7 squares I think).

#56 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostPete, on 28 October 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

On Classic the health of many of the aliens is greatly increased so I look forward to doing this mission again with the right tools Posted Image

Not all. Alien HPs are the same on Normal/Classic for the higher tier aliens like Ethereals, Muton Elites, Bezerkers, Sectopods and Chryssalids - the problem is really dealing with Thin Men/Outsiders/Mutons with 4 HPs instead of 3. Thin Men can be really dangerous at the beginning on Classic if you activate more than 1 group of 3.

#57 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Activating too many groups has been a pain on this play through, but I have also encountered the "bug" of groups appearing out of thin air in already seen territory on a least one map, whereas they usually spawn on the edge of your field of vision if course.

#58 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

I think I noticed that PSI gifts are generated randomly. In one moment I had my assault being gifted next thing after load in same batch of 3 people my other soldier was gifted. I wonder if someone could test it too. If loading will not do maybe playing some mission (other save), exiting the game and re-loading just before sending to PSI lab to check if it is true.

#59 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 03 November 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

I think I noticed that PSI gifts are generated randomly. In one moment I had my assault being gifted next thing after load in same batch of 3 people my other soldier was gifted. I wonder if someone could test it too. If loading will not do maybe playing some mission (other save), exiting the game and re-loading just before sending to PSI lab to check if it is true.

Maybe it's a chance thing, just like shot accuracy percentage? Could be something as simple as will/1000, so having 100 will gives you 10% chance?

#60 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

That would rather be a no-no. You can screen rookies and rookies have 40WP. So that would mean the only best soldiers for screening are colonels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users