Striking back is a necessity. So often do conflicts begin unprovoked that it is nearly impossible to always be in a position to preemptively deal with a threat before damage is inflicted. In XTeam Software Solution's wargame, Retaliation: Path of War, dealing with the taking of initiative is a central theme.
Retaliation: Path of War is a new and original hex-and-counter turn based wargame. It has been designed and developed with the main purpose of offering a fun and easy to learn wargame, without the complexity and hyper realism of traditional simulation wargames while at the same time keeping all the interesting and challenging elements of tactical reasoning.
Have you enjoyed playing many matches of Risk with your friends but often felt limited by its simplicity and yearned for something more? Have you been engaged in realistic battle simulations lasting several hours (or days!) and wished you could just get to the point and vanquish your enemies?
Then you've come to the right place: whether you are a seasoned strategist or a casual gamer, you will love crushing tanks and conquering bases in Retaliation!
To reprise the main features:
• Special rolls with special results (e.g. self-damage)
• Initiative (who acts first) decided randomly each turn
• 20 main terrain types influencing movement, combat and production
• Units can merge (two units become one) or split (into two or more units)
• Combat is handled sequentially but considered simultaneous: units have a last chance to fire back even if completely destroyed by enemy's attack
• Reinforcements awarded according to controlled territory, but the richest terrain tiles are the ones harder to defend
• Free, fast, easy, wargaming fun
The game is now freely available via Desura but further enhancements are already announced, like the addition of a more deterministic 'no luck' mode where the element of chance is removed from play.