Modding fatal wounds, smoke grenade stun dmg per round and some other stuff

cremo

Hi all..

I'm quite an old gamer but new to X-COM: EU. I just love it! One of the best games ever IMHO.

Anyway, after playing for a bit, I would like to tweak how combat works, and have been playing around with the great "UFOextender" mod, as well as with Jennifer Stein's "XcomED" editor.

With those I was able to edit important things like alien-tank stats and MOST of the weapons details .. Yet i wasn't able to do some stuff and here I am asking for some help to you modding veterans.

1. first off, I would like to edit how fatal wounds are dished out: currently a soldier gets 3 fatal wounds for shots exceeding 10 damage to health. I would like to alter those with rule by which a soldier receives 1 fatal wounds every 10 damage received (meaning that a shot which deals 47 damage to health would also give 4 lethal wounds instead of just 3, while a 17 dmg one would give 1).

That's because in my mod soldier and units will have 200 health and weapons will be all retweaked in order to do more damage, having choosen such a big health bar because it allows me to rebalance the weapons over a greater "probability spectrum" to balance the various weapons (whilst a 50 hp bar would mean, for example, than oneshot kills would at least occur 2% of times without taking into account fatal wounds that expand it to almost 10ish percent in a matter of a turn).

Luckily I was able to balance this by increasing the damage resistance of terrain tiles with XcomED (actually making them more resistant to non HE weapons, since i don't like that a laser shot can incinerate a brick wall).

2. Secondly, I would like to tweak the stun damage per turn of smoke grenades, in order to make non power armored soldier be more cautious with them (whilst, currently, they are able to stand in a smoke grenade almost endlessly without major risks). I've tried increasing the smoke grenade DMG, but only thing i got was a bigger explosion with the same damage over time.. I've also tried to increase to 200% the stun damage modifier for unarmored soldier but to no much avail.

I would also like to mess with fire damage per turn and the "cathing fire" mechanic afterwards if possible, since they should be similar and would make fire more interesting.

3. Third off, i would need to edit the recruit starting random stats.. this should be ane easy one.. yet mods tend to only let you tweak the maximum caps and not the starting ones.

4. Last but not least, i would require to edit HWP's weapon stats.. something not possible either with UFOEXTENDER (there are only instructions to alter items in the OBDATA file) nor with XcomED (albeith this one enables you to edit HWP stats).

Thanks for the attentions.. Hope someone will be so kind and patient to help me out!

P.s. keep in mind that my modding skills don't exceed editing wordpad .ini files and using premade .exe editors so far.. but if there's any guide, I'll give it a try!

• 1 month later...

Editing these are a bit more difficult than the basic object stats. Stun damage handling and fatal wounds are handled as part of the program code, while the stats for HWP turrets are buried in the data portion of the executables. With a hex editor (or MS Edit, if you have a copy) you can find these for your game version and tweak them. Mention of the offsets can be found here:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=TACTICAL.EXE

For the stun and fatal wound handling however you may need to ask someone with assembly knowledge on where they are and how you can tweak these. I imagine they could be incorporated into the UFO and TFTD Extenders, but you'd better contact their respective authors for those.

- NKF