XCOM Enemy Unknown Q&A - Ask Away!

Pete

Well time has marched on, lots of new things have been revealed and we'd like you to submit your questions for another interview/Q&A.

In case you've missed it, there's mention of multiplayer as well as a good video showing a

If you've got questions, post them here and when there are enough we'll pass them on to be answered smile.png

Edited by Kret
Fix video link

1. Will there be demo before the release. If not then threaten him with demo spam :P

2. Maps for multi - will they give for free with updates or payed DLC.

3. What types of DLC will be there - we know it is inevitable.

4. Why it has to be so awesome ;)

5. Motion scanner - will it be there and how improved it is over old version.

I watched it, but I think he was generalising when he said your points could be spent on "whatever you want". My first thought was "a dozen sectoids!". My second thought was that there're probably going to be caps on the use of certain unit types that is independent of your point allowance (to prevent players from creating such large squads), but the interviewer didn't press the point - I'm sure Jake's got more to say about it.

But we don't know how many points you will have to start and how many points each unit will take. So I am guessing that you will not be able to have 20 sectoid soldiers. And how was it deployed in UFO2000 because it is taking similar route. Also Fallout Tactics had similar point values for units though FT had limit of 6 soldiers per squad because that was game limitation.

I imagine that in multi you will have 4-6 men squads too just like single. I think I have counted that many in this movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a game mode that does not allow you to select perks that your soldiers get, allowing for a more "lifelike" game?

Do the actions of your soldiers have any influence on which perks become available? As an example; would a successful destruction of a cyberdisk give better chances for HEAT ammo perk?

Why does shooting normally end your turn? Surely shooting at the start of a turn should take just as much time as at the end of it...

Do soldiers and aliens have a limited field of view or is everything in a sight radius revealed to them?

1. What DLC / expansion plans are there, for what platform (important in order to decide what platform(s) to get the game for)?
  2. Does the German version (avalable at Amazon.de) include the English language (it's not as sure as you might think - Bethesda's Brink and Hunted for example did not contain the English version - the game suddenly defaulted to French :( )?.
  3. Will the German version be updated/patched along with the US version (2K has a bad track record there -> worst example NBA 2K10)?

1.- Are multiplayer squads limited to no more than 6 units? (Noticed this on the squad selection for multiplayer, just want a confirmation on it)

2.- Are there any other playmodes besides single player campaign an 1v1 multiplayer? Like 2-4 Multiplayer, 2v2, capture the flag, challenge missions, survival mode (defend against waves of aliens), co-op missions (not necessary campaign). Are you considering adding any of these at a later date?

3.- Will you hold a "Play vs the makers" event some time after the release of the game?

4.- What can you tell us about cross-platform multiplayer? (I know from the stream that it isn't available, but that they would like it happening)

5.- Since it's turn based, have you considered implementing or have you implemented a recovery wait for players that get disconnected?

6.- Will there be spectator mode for multiplayer games?

7.- Replays on campaign are not in, but what about multiplayer games?

8.- Is there any benefit in shooting without moving for non snipers? (Better accuracy?, more shots?)

9.- Is is possible to "free" one of your mind-controlled units by mind-controlling it yourself?

10.- Do we have the PC requirements available yet?

11.- Is the "Thin man" based partially on the myth of the "Slender man"?

3.) If the game meets and exceeds sales, would you consider doing a remake of Terror From The Deep?

They were asked about potential sequels on the PAX live stream, and Jake said the only post-launch thing they have in mind for the time being is taking a vacation. tongue.png

Yes, Shiv:

https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2407/shiv.png

If you watch one of the PAX streams, you will see a laser one in terror mission.

I would add to the question list:

Can countries return to funding XCOM after they see that XCOM is actually managing stuff. Is there other penalty except losing money if country leaves the council will missions in that region be tougher ? I am referring to the Apocalypse Friendly/Hostile state of organisation.

Jake lately said about poison being powerful. How does the poison damage affect on the armour soldier is wearing because as we can see Armour = more HP. Is poison a direct damage number so soldier in Titan armour get little damage comparing to soldier without armour or something like it always takes away 1/3 of maximum HP or something like that.

Yeah, I don't like the SHIV designation either. I know they tried to go for the cool backronym thing, but they dropped the ball. Shivs, as noxtheroxstar showed, are very improvised crappy weapons. That's not the kind of name you want for a class of increasingly advanced unmanned weapons platforms. I'll stick to calling them HWPs, and when and if modding support's released, I'll rename all mentions of SHIV directly.

As for countries who have left the council returning, I can't quite speculate on that. However, the implied ultimate outcome is shown on the Doom Tracker that appeared when Greg abandoned his Impossible terror mission and China left the council. Much like in the original game, if enough nations back out, it's game over. And taking from the boxes of the Doom Tracker, it'd seem that point is reached when eight countries (half the council) give up on XCOM.

And regarding the Thin Man's poison, from that one MP match in which it made its appearance, I gathered it doesn't cause actual damage but rather (at least) considerably lowers the victim's movement capacity and accuracy for two turns.