Psi-Clone

psi_morph

• 1 month later...

Nah, whenever I activate one, it just makes fancy noises and the red lights light up, otherwise, it won't work. The pink elephants on the monocycles think so too ... :power:

Oh, you know what, I realised I'd forgotten to mention something: You must break psionic lock before your poor mind-bender victim hits the ground. They tend to realise it's you doing it if the unit's still under mind control. You can break the psionic lock by opening up your mind bender and selecting the mind control attack again as if you were targetting another unit.

- NKF

• 8 months later...

Oh, yes, you can actually 'use' a psi-clone, just like the mind-shield and the nifty motion scanner. Technically speaking, of course.

But it doesn't do anything when activated. So it works by not working. :power:

Seriously though, no, turning on the psi-clone provides no positive or negative side effects.

- NKF

Well, same way you activate most other equipment really. Like the medikit, or motion scanner. Just put it in your hand and click on it. There will be a white selection box around the item and that means it is turned on. The same thing works with the mind shield, one of the items that were officially removed, but can still be stolen from Marsec and used to temporarily (or permanently) boost psi-defense beyond the norm.

Unlike the other equipment, however, there's no indication whatsoever that the psiclone has any effect when it's turned on, so it ...

Wait a second, do you mean in real terms, as in how they apply the psi-clone? Hmm, well, I suppose you plug it in somehow. By the look of the thing, it's like a real big micro chip. Either you poke the sharp bits directly through your skin, or plug it into a cybernetic interface of some sort (i assume androids would have these). Or perhaps there's some sort of device that you use and plug the psiclones into in order to obtain its effects (sort of like a virtual reality set with neural interfaces to stimulate your senses, or something that sounds like that).

- NKF

Oddly enough, if you use a mind bender and convince the guards to kill themselves by jumping off a tall structure, the organisation doesn't really appear to notice or care. Perhaps, not immediately. But any damage to their building while X-Com soldiers are present in the area and they will get mad.

:power:

Genius!

Do they really get mad, though? I raided Marsec loads of times (gradually piecing together suits of their armour, well before it went on sale) and their guards once fired a rocket launcher or something... well, something blew up, at least. Nobody cared.

Also, Mind Shields WORK? How? I've got a warehouse full of the damn things, I wanna try them!

I usually 'raid' marsec early on just to get power swords before they are officially released to the public. Lovely weapons those.

But when their moronic rent-a-cops start playing their usual game of catch with live munitions... things get wacky. Often one will have a stroke of genius and throw an armed proximity mine. I'd hate to see that happen next to those retribution missiles. In any case, if they damage the floor, walls, or any of the scenery, the company won't like you as much as before (even though you had nothing to do with it). The overall effect is very small, but it can build up over time.

As for the mind shield - just put it in your hand and activate it. Your psi-defence will be raised slightly. Your stats should reflect this improvement. If you win the mission or have the soldier exit the mission while the mind shield is still turned on, the temporary improvement becomes permanent.

- NKF

Nope. If you raid the Marsec buildings, mainly the weapons factory, you can easily pick one up in any one of the item spawn locations (you learn to recognise where the equipment hot-spots are after a while). It might take a while, but one will eventually appear.

It has a proper Ufopaedia entry if you check the game files, but the game sends you to the stun grapple entry instead if you try to examine it.

It's a small reddish orange and grey device about the size of the mind bender.

- NKF

hey...here's a question...what the hell were the deadly effects or brain eating effects that a psiclone caused in the megaprimus youth or whoever the hell was using them...was that just a scare tactic created by the government or what were these cool little things actually doing that was physically bad???....(besides throwing sensovision off the board almost)

i guess its just like drugs. considering it is pretty much the contemporary drug...

(iow, the pleasure is pretty big at the start, but as your body gets used to it, the pleaseure gradually gets lower and lower, until the original dose hardly does anything to you. then you need more to get to the point you did at the start etc, etc. plus, you you could experience anything you wanted, when you wanted, you would probebly go insane, don't you think?)

• 14 years later...

hey...here's a question...what the hell were the deadly effects or brain eating effects that a psiclone caused in the megaprimus youth or whoever the hell was using them...was that just a scare tactic created by the government or what were these cool little things actually doing that was physically bad???....(besides throwing sensovision off the board almost)

I know this is fifteen years late, but...

There's TTBOMK no official answer as to what the problem with Psiclone is. My guess, however, is that the "detrimental effect on the health of young citizens" is simply the poop-socking problem. Someone who gets badly addicted to Psiclone use would probably withdraw from the world and use it constantly (unlike a modern-day drug, after all, once you have a Psiclone it doesn't "run out"); at best, this would greatly decrease their productivity in society, and at worst they'd die/get malnourished from neglecting to eat, go insane from neglecting to sleep, etc.

I imagine some people could use it and remain functional, much like there are productive amphetamine addicts in the modern world. But there'd be a lot that couldn't handle it responsibly.