All drone squad + Medic Soldier mod?

VelikiDrMr

Hey, so I know the game is realy old, but I've never played before, and I started playing recently. I've just made 7 human drones, but I've noticed that unless I include a sentient with the drones the squad is not ready. Is there a way to make an all drone squad? Am I missing something? If it can't be done in the game, is there a mod that allows it, or would anyone know what to modify to allow this?

The second thing is that I would like it if soldiers were able to use at least some basic medkits (I haven't really researched much, I don't know if there is basic and advanced or whatever.), cause I've only been sending purse soldiers on my missions, plus the reticualn soldier/scientist, so the only people who can heal me are the reticulans thanks to their psi healing device. I feel as if soldiers should at least know how to apply medkits, this seems like somthing that you learn in basic training. I would also appreciate if someon knows a mod that allows for this.

The third thing is, I've tried searching for files to make a few mods myself, and after reading ShadowWarriors Modding Tips, I've noticed that the folder structure is tottaly different than the one he describes? Is this due to the fact that it was written before v1.7, and if so can you only mod previous versions? One thing is i can't find the "trainings.txt", cause I figure just making "isavailableforsoldiers" true next to basic medic would do the trick for the soldier healing thing. Any help with modding would be appreciated.

Ermmm - have you even played tutorial ? You have soldiers, Soldiers/Scientists and Soldiers/Technicians that can go for missions.

Pure soldiers are the ones that only have white number besides them. Soldiers/Scientists have white and green, while Technicians white and orange/brown I don't know what name of that colour is.

The starting Soldier/Scientist is Genie who you play in Tutorial and I think she starts with Medicine skill to use Medkits. There are few others if you look closely. If for example you let that reticulan soldier/medic die you will get Human Rita who will be soldier/Scientist.

But in order to have medkits I think you need to research them....

And having one human for droid squad. Someone will have to make repairs for them (technician), someone will have to start them, or simply control them.

Ermmm - have you even read my post?

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I'll try to be more clear this time.

I know how the game works. I realize that you need the Minor/Major Medic training to use medkits, and I know it's only available for scientists. I'm asking if there is a mod that allows soldiers to train these skills.

Second, I was wondering if there was a way to send a team of drones without any humans on a mission. Just imagine I'm crazy and don't want to repair them. If this cannot be done, I would also like to know if there's a mod to allow it.

Thirdly, if these mods do not exist, I would like a little help from people who know how to mod, since I read a tutorial on it, and some data seems to be different than what the tutorial describes, most notably the folder's aren't the same, and I'm unsure of whether this is because of the new patches or if my computer is just weird.

I know of no mod that allows pure soldiers to use medkits. There is only 1 medkit, but there are 2 grades of "first aid sets" (AKA medkit ammo) , the advenced set needs major medic training

In my unpacked copy of Gamedata.vfs, trainings.txt is under units/configs. I had been looking at tthe possibility of making pure soldiers able to heal last year, when another of the forum veterans was ranting about this game, but without any luck then. I didn't see this idea then, it just might work!

I don't know if there's a way to totally avoid sending a sentient on a mission with drones, but i would think you would want to send scientists and/or technicians sometimes, to collect the extra experience for the science/technician classes that you are given on some missions. Also, drones do not have all weapon types available (like sniper rifles)

Yeah, I managed to find the trainings.txt, and made a mod that allows soldiers to train minor/major medicine, which I probably wont even level.

I made some errors when I chose my starting team, and now everybody else is under-leveled and I'm too lazy to train them, but looks like I'll have to, because I'm planing on attacking the Reticulans, and Oghie and Tabbie (sp?) are the only ones that are healing me.

As for the drones, yeah, I did include a couple of technicians with them, but I find it odd that you can't send only drones.

• 4 months later...

I've never actually tried to do this, but modding who does what ability is done by altering the weapon modes. Look in the items/config/weaponmode.txt file. Honestly I haven't tried doing this myself, or altering permissions for using tools/weapons, but it should be there. Right now I'm still trying to iron out a regeneration suit for humans. It seems to work so far, but took a little messing around to do it. Had to use a modified 'burn' effect with a negative number. I was originally trying to do a regen field (works, but would remove the Ret 'damage nearby units' function.) or a regen med kit (Works but you can't target a unit, only near a unit. Annoying!)

(EDIT: And I didn't even read the last post. Doh! Sorry. OK, so training.txt too? I thought it was just in the modes.)