Damn, I hate that weapon

Zomis

I was wondering which weapon it is that shoots a long green shot and if an agent is hit, then the agent will lose all his/her armor.

I don't know if the X-Com armor (which I have never seen yet) protects against these damn weapons, but I really hope it does.

I think the weapon is called "Entropody Gun/Cannon/Launcher" or something, but I am not sure that it really is that one.

But how should I avoid these weapons? (real-time)

The gun that fires that homing green crap is called an entropy launcher. That gun is one bad mother because one shot can stript your agents of armor or even weapions. Theres little you can do to avoid being hit but shields can stop it from eatting your armor. (In fact shields could take about 5 hits before going down). If you have shields equip each person with one or two (and if you don't arm everybody with stun gas and toxi guns and get some asap). Also don't even try researching them for your own use. They don't do damage to aliens (but they may be good to use aginst the cult?...) X-COM armor doesn't protect aginst they stuff (saddly). I hope this helps and remember "Don't Get Hurt"

-PSY GUY- :power:

It's an entropy launcher, and the best thing to do is to drop everything--armor included--and run! :power: (only if you're not close enough to cover to get behind it quickly enough) Personal shields are great when you go up against these things, preferably two or three. On the plus side for these weapons, if you shoot an alien with one, it dissolves his weapons just like it does your stuff, leaving him an unarmed sitting duck.

Actually, the entropy missiles chew up 1/3 of a personal shield. On the third missile, be prepared to lose a shield. If it's your last shield... well, a brisk run in the cold air will kill off the enzyme.

Very nasty. Very nasty.

Pity you can't manufacture the pods.

It's great to make anthropods and skeletoids get blown up with their own grenades. Rather poetic justice. :angel:

- NKF

If that happens again, check your armour endurance. Just hover the mouse over each item of armour. You'll notice they'll be badly damaged.

I did notice that if you're wearing a full suit of X-Com armour, and not carrying anything that'll explode like a gun or a high-explosive grenade, damage will sometimes be spread over all the bits of armour just enough to not destroy anything.

Don't expect the armour, or your gear, to survive when the next entropy missile hits though. :power:

- NKF

Entropy wouldn't be so bad as long as it didn't have that mini launcher like characteristic.

Its too much trouble trying to use entropy to take down there shields. I rather MC two aliens and make them shoot each other (after they drop there shields of course :devil: . I don't know why but my shields seem to to take about 5 hits before going down. It could be due to them recharging or them taking less than average damage. Oh well.

-PSY GUY- :power:

When I was away I had taken my laptop to play in the late hours when I was at camp, so I am completely hooked to apocalypse again. I almost forgot what a brilliant game this is, it's one of the few games you can use current military tactics to clear out a site, thanks to the realtime element with the option to pause the game.

This doesn't count anymore when you got teleport devices and stuff, but you know what I mean.

all i can say is if you get hit by one of those weapons make your guy drop every single bit of his equipment unless you want those votex mines to go of prematurely lol. first time i got hit by that weapon i laughed as it did no damage... then boom.. my whole team died because a mine got desolved lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The entropy enzme doesn2t kill you

Yes, it really has the lowes damage in the game. But it's true power lies on chewing all types of equipment. Your armor melts, the clips and the grenades you are carrying explodes!!! You see, the enzyme doesn't kill you, -you'll take only the impact damage if you are hit by the missile w/ empty inventory-bu the clips you are carrying will

The best thing when hit by the entropy is drop down EVERYTHING, and run away like hell!!!

• 4 years later...

Entropy Enzme doesn't kill? I've had more than a few squaddie's bite the dust after getting hit by the enzme. (Now admittedly I've had even more got up in a blaze of their own explosives)

If you do the strip tease thing and then get hit again, you can pretty well kiss your squaddie goodbye. Same if you get hit and don't drop your armour. Now I agree it does no initial damage to health but I suspect it's some sort of total damage thing, ie does x amount of damage minus your armour durablity.

Any thoughts anyone else? hint hint NFK... :)

Whatever you do, do not trust a single word this NFK guy has to say. He's just out there to spread misinformation and defame me. :)

The entropy missiles do have impact damage, which can cause HP damage when you're not wearing anything. Not to forget that it can also cause critical wounds. The wounds will definitely drain away your health over time. Luckily you shouldn't lose too much health in the 3 seconds that the enzyme is active and reach for a medikit.

Enzyme effects mainly damage the hitpoints of your items (i.e. the durability). The only direct damage is done through the missile's impact damage and the destruction of any items damaged by the enzyme.

- NKF

I've experienced the same effects "The Killer" describes. I've seen it happen more than once, where a soldier will be hit with the Entropy gun and lose armor quickly. I've found that if I allow the soldier to be immobile, then the enzymes will eventually damage and kill him. If I have him running around rampantly, it seems to not damage so badly, and I've never seen a soldier damaged or killed that way. (But that could be coincidence.)

Are you sure residual entropy enzymes don't damage the body?

I imagine it's the equipment you're carrying that's doing the damage. Exploding ammo and grenades hurts! :)

I found my olde-power sword campaign and was pleasently surprised that I was just before the point of getting the teleporters in this game. Quite a good run considering all I had for ranged weaponry involved power swords and stun grapples! Still, it gave me some entropy missiles to run a few tests on.

I first tested by shooting against an armoured soldier. Once the missile hit, I removed everything (and I mean everything, not just the armour). No health loss over the next 3 seconds.

The next test was to fire at the unarmoured soldier. The soldier received impact damage from the rocket, but health did not degrade any further for the next 3 seconds. (No wounds - this was a lucky test!)

Lastly, I suited up again, and fired a missile. Waited 3 seconds, nothing. Of course, this was a full suit of disrupter armour, so it didn't get eaten away thanks to its durability. :) Fired one more time, suit was eaten away and still no health loss.

From all this, my only explanation for the health loss would be from the destruction of equipment on you, or you're taking on the impact damage from more missiles, or you've got wounds. But you never know.

Here's an interesting finding. Unarmoured soldiers will behave in smoke the same way that unit do when they standing in fire. You lose control of their movement and and they attempt to flee from the smoke until they're out of it. Armoured agents will just stand there. Makes logical sense - no smoke filters.

In the case of an unarmoured agent suffering from the entropy enzyme, they will automatically flee whenever a puff of smoke is generated off their body.

- NKF

If that is the case, can ammo blow up and hurt a soldier, without a visual confirmation? (Like, the ammo will burst and cause damage, but you would not see any explosion or stray bullets on the battlefield, just damage will occur.)

I am confident grenades were not involved in any incident with entropy (At least not getting killed by entropy), as I tend to have specialized soldiers for grenades, and I believe I would see the actual explosion burst from their body.

I wish there was at least a discernible pattern to how entropy eats your equipment, as that would mean greater ease in fighting it.

Can you remember the type of ammo your soldier was carrying? I'd like to give it a run.

I did pack a soldier with some M4000 and plasma gun ammo and ran the test. It seems the entropy ate away the armour first before destroying the M4000 ammo.

I barely missed the burst when the M4000 ammo went, as it was brief and it was amongst the confusion of the smoke around the soldier. Strangely enough, no health damage was done. However, when the plasma gun ammo went, the soldier died instantly, at the same time of the visual confirmation. I was carrying three clips, so it might've caused too much damage.

One possibility at how entropy enzyme works is that it does x amount of damage per second, and this is distributed amongst the inventory items. There might be an order to the amount of damage that is dealt to items, or this was just outright randomness as to what was damaged first.

- NKF

I barely missed the burst when the M4000 ammo went, as it was brief and it was amongst the confusion of the smoke around the soldier. Strangely enough, no health damage was done. However, when the plasma gun ammo went, the soldier died instantly, at the same time of the visual confirmation. I was carrying three clips, so it might've caused too much damage.
While I haven't seen mere AP ammunition blow through and detonate grenades/ammunition, the light disruptor does do this on occasion.

Hmn, actually, my encounter occured while I was using disruptors. But I know I also use Autocannons well into the game as well, so there were also soldiers killed using those... (I carry one of each ammo type with them.) But I know I saw at least one die with only disruptors.

• 1 year later...