103 replies to this topic

#21 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Shouldn't you go for Projectors/Heavy Cannon instead of Particle beam ?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Why "should" I go there?

#23 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

They are far better than Particle beam ?

#24 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

But particle beam does not stop at particle beam. Also the beam accuracy gives them unique turret stripping ability...

Though I admit I went for beams because I rarely do and wanted to have a lightshow.

I'll have to go for techs that add new ship sections next. Liir are just awesome with anything that needs direction, they turn like nobody's business.

#25 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 13 July 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

But particle beam does not stop at particle beam. Also the beam accuracy gives them unique turret stripping ability...

1. You have to have time in real battle to turret stripping. I prefer destroying.
2. Before you get to a good beam it is end game. Unless there are hidden values that I don't know of.

#26 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

At the upper edge of the free cluster we find a Human independent colony.

We're going beamy! For the moment at least. Phasers are really good and a better option
for medium turrets than UV beamers. I think.

Zuul find us somewhat... edible. However honourable their intention surely are, I'm glad
the military build-up at the colony has begun a few turns back.

First sign of our second neighbour. Hivers. Well, too bad for this system, it would make
a nice star haven. Also it lies in between the free cluster and (obviously) Hiver cluster.

Let's make the vastness of space a bit easier to grasp.

Next turn bugs surprise us with a decent enough proposal. Hivers can make a great ally, we
should not forget that. But ceasefire is enough for now, I wouldn't want to see our empire
swamped with their gates before we know each other a bit better.

Our intel tells us that the Zuul invading force is made up of mainly destroyers. Soror's
alert status goes down to orange and some of the built ships are sent to strip the only
remaining derelict. The other, as you can see in lower right corner, has already been taken
by Zuul. The icon stays on until we check the system.

Queen is removed. No, this is not a revolution, but a head rolled anyway.

Phaser PD is available (if) in AM era, so for now I got fed up with micromanaging beamers
to take down incoming ordinance.

Next time Zuul will not be as friendly, I'm sure.

Another cluster, another Zuul. At first I actually though this was an independent colony
(I think Zuul independents are not possible) but it turned out it is a Zuul empire with white
as empire colour.

Research is directed towards section-gaining waters.

Hrmpf... Third cluster, third Zuul! I'm enclosed among the Zuul! Hm, well, this can be good,
too. At least I'm not at war with races we can get friendly with... Meh, still not good.

A random encounter hit one of our worlds.

The Herald foretells the coming of a Suul'ka. Not sure which one, but probably the one who
created the Zuul. The Herald is a ship with clearly Zuul origin. And it lowers the morale of the colony.

Finally. But AM won't be enough to protect this colony for long.

Last of weapons research for the time being. Next is Advanced CnC, as commanding bigger
numbers of ships is becoming a nuisance. After that we go for some Xeno research. First tier
Zuul bark first - just enough to tell them to f... off. And get a pretty good War section.
Then probably Hiver, to tell them a story or two.

A mining trap obliterated our fleet. Six rather expensive ships...

I need to start the mining research to prevent such losses. Research in this case is
a refinery ship sent to a system marked for mining. Then the refining is turned on for
a turn to check for the trap. If it finds one... Better one refinery than a whole mining
fleet.

Ahhh, the fun of Zuul neighbours. The darker green colony above blue Zuul is Hivers, the
rest are Zuul.

#27 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

As promised, research takes us into communication.

Soror is facing two waves of Zuul attacks. As speed and manoeuvrability will not save
the day this time, we design a new cruiser class. "Branilec pesmi" (Defender of Song)
is here to stand its ground and destroy everything that comes in range of its Lancers.

A surprise! One of the Zuul has dreads! I'm not too worried, if this empire pushed for
DNs, it must have thrown everything at it. Which means that the rest is severely behind.

Heh, half of Zuul fleets gets eaten by VNs. Our scout could survive, but curiosity
killed the dolphin.

I find a "Silvaril" system. This system is special because it is named after a Kerberos
forum member who... I don't remember what he did, but he was rewarded by getting
a system named after his nick!

A "Space Voyager" system... That would be silly.

At turn 102 our mining fleets start bringing the goods at last.

This turn was full of happening. At a system where our Zuul expedition stopped for
refuelling (I was trembling in fear, having just had a mining fleet obliterated) VN attacked
and as this was not our colony, we destroyed the mothership. Bonus is nice, but we leg it
nevertheless. I wouldn't want to meet a VN Berserker just yet.

First wave hits Soror. Poor colony... It would be ok if I didn't let three of the slave
disks get away and enter the atmosphere. The results are horrifying. At least none of the
slave disks was able to deliver our brothers to Zuul worlds. Death is far better.

To add to the disaster, Zuul left a surprise gift. Their spawn is devastating our colony
even after the fleet is destroyed. Another Zuul fleet is on its way. As a small consolation,
the colony was able to repair the defenders.

Zuul infection drags like Monday. And when the second Zuul wave splashes over Soror in 105...

...colony just barely made it. One slave disk would be enough to destroy it, our beams took
care that none survived. Sometimes accuracy is vital. Colony took only passing shots yet
only half a million imperial citizens survived. Finally, Zuul infestation was cleared in 108.
The colony is far from up on its feet, it has almost zero production capability.

Empire free sector is being cleansed of Swarm.

This is a nice proposition, but not just yet. Let's get to know each other a bit better first.

We feed most of the money into research. Now for empire technologies. We'll probably visit
Hiver Xenotechs some more later, but now it is a race for money.

The true reason for Hivers offering us NAP. Their gate fleet was already en-route to our new
colony. They didn't heed our warnings - which we did send - and the conflict ended the only
way possible.

Money money money.(=research'n'ships)

And onward to dreads! Our first salvaged project is started, too.

Soror has not even recovered by now. Incoming fleet is twice the size of defenders.

Best defence is offence, but when Zuul are incoming, that is hard to put into action... Our
fleet, which dealt with VN Mothership, is already at the size 9 colony with AM. It is being
augmented with assault shuttle carrying destroyers of "PotapljaĨ" (Diver) class. And on the way
to relieve Soror. Being on the way is not the same as being there though so Soror will have to
weather it out for now. This Zuul fleet is much faster than former two, meaning that they left
node drilling ships behind.

This went pretty well, considering. There is optimism in our song.

#28 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,965 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

We shall cut through their dissonance.

Your chant grows stronger and sorrow, we know, you'll let not grow longer.

::

For it is clear and true and the unjust it shall subdue.

#29 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostThorondor, on 17 July 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

We shall cut through their dissonance.

Your chant grows stronger and sorrow, we know, you'll let not grow longer.

For it is clear and true and the unjust it shall subdue.

You should be killing aliens, not singing poetry.

#30 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 17 July 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

You should be killing aliens, not singing poetry.

Ah, but these are Liir. They see universe as a Song, its true form, and disturbances as disharmony. They value other beings as high as themselves as we're all just cords in the greater harmony.

Even killing aliens is only done to prevent the Song from falling silent.

Adopting a more... poetic approach to the game is very Liir-like.

I just hope not to disappoint Thor too much.

#31 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I had something different in mind - but never mind.

#32 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

I edited the post with the Herald. You can see the vid now.

Second turn seals the fate of Zuul attack at Soror.

Growing the Swarm may not be an option, but destroying it remains a source of income.

Hivers start an expansion into our waters from Star Haven.

Blue Zuul start fielding cruiser sized space hurting ships. These just happen to have a Node Canon
attached to their behind, and our beam equipped destroyers prove to be an inexpensive way to get
rid of it, before bigger ships close in and finish the job.

First the Herald, now this! Another new encounter which I have never seen before... Think of it
what you may, but this game is just full of content, much entirely dependent on chance. Love it.
What you see is Peacekeeper. It seems to have taken a direct route to our second sector.

Improving our ships.

A Zuul attack on our colony, guarded by Asteroid Monitor, ends very badly. For Zuul.

Though it has become evident that AM alone would not be enough, it needs support.

Hivers... What to do about them? Frankly I'd rather see them as allies than enemies. We'll send
them some friendly messages.

As beams in general are not best at destroying colonies, Zuul get to meet our assault shuttles.

Research into income, lowering cost, and increasing the numbers on the battlefield.

First dreadnought is planned and production is started. A "Metronom" class ship. It will give
the beat to battles.

Why do we need it? Well, Hivers can tell. They are paying us a visit with their own.

What we know of.

In turn 129 Peacekeeper reaches its destination. Apparently it has something to say!

#33 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,965 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Seldom does form meet function, in such a complete, harmonious junction, as when you are this atuned to creation, SV. :)

Now sing, brother, an introduction, of your finest vessel production - lest our neighbours want conversation...

#34 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

I wonder who will notice the reference of Space Odyssey of Arthur C. Clarke at the end of the message :) (on a side note a brilliant story even in current times)

Enforcer is actually the easiest Grand Menace though it forbids expansion it makes sure your worlds are safe. Wonder what I will get :)

And I thought you will record all Herald speech. Though he speaks about one Suul'ka in lore there are 7 or 8 of them and you can summon one of them in SotS2 while playing Zuul.

#35 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

This looks quite good. It seems I'm doing something right here.

Oh look!

Peacekeeper is here to help us against the Zuul scourge. Finally, somebody else that saw
a need to sing in tune.

Right?

Wrong.

Sorry for the really confusing vid, I was trying to coordinate the action and get good angles
at the same time. I failed utterly at both. Results...

Obviously Peacekeeper Enforcer (PE) was not amused by our vacation at a Zuul colony. As it
only wants to stop all fighting, it is allied to the owner of the colony, who is clearly not
an aggressor. This was our bigger Zuul destroying fleet, and only two ships survived. "Korala"
(Coral) class repair and salvage cruisers are expensive enough to be worth saving, even if it
means I'll need to build a refinery to haul them back.
Our advance against the blue Zuul empire is seriously thwarted. And this was the only Zuul
empire we had a nice shot against, both of us not having dreadnoughts yet. For the time being,
we retreat the second fleet to our colony to think things over. Right now, PE seems more of
a problem than a blessing, even though its goal is a noble one.

Research is thrown into even more ships on the battlefield. Not that we have them built. Any
more.

We're scouting Morrigi cluster. Obviously Morrigi and Humans have at least a non-aggression
pact. A fact worth remembering.

Our song will be heard.

This was though through...

Either we throw a great deal of money into fighting our potential ally, or we let them be.
Taken into consideration that our propaganda cruiser is on the way to Hiver empire, we accept.

Oh COME ON!

So PE decided that the Swarm needs looking after? You know, more than perhaps

this world?! Same turn, naturally. Tully survived with heavy death toll among the planet swimmers,
only one cruiser lost. Zuul fleet remains. BTW, it turned out that PE is always ready to
peacefully resolve the fight. After all the swarmers were eliminated the Swarm decided it wants
to fight no more, so after I noticed that both Swarm and PE have the little dove icon in the
lower left corner (check in the vids) I went for it, too, and the battle ended before the whole
fleet was obliterated. Good to know.

Yeah yeah ok, I don't even know where you guys are. But if we meet, I'd rather not fight.

On turn 132 our colony Ymar is hit by a massive Zuul fleet. Ymar has an AM, but getting PE to help
is even better!

Zuul are caught between a rock and a hard place, so I should have the time to steady the camera
and do a slightly better job than last time.

Ah, that was a sight.

Frankly the reality was slightly worse but the movie was utterly ruined by flickering, so I had to
reload and film it anew. What you saw was a perfect harmony between defenders and PE, reality was
weirder. For some reason PE and AM got into a fight in the last minute and it seemed as though AM
was going to be destroyed. PE didn't use its most powerful weaponry (like the disintegration ray)
on it, so I only lost the defending fleet and a satellite or two. Anyway, real results:

Still, the colony was defended and the damage to AM was not worth crying about.

Then, a turn later, PE finally notices Tully, which by some miracle survived two turns. Miracle was
scientifically explained with Zuul' lack of a CnC ship, so dreadnought was not present in the
second battle.

Our colony is saved! PE is forgiven. Being enclosed between all these Zuul empires, please stick
around.

We dive into risky waters. That is why we send everything we have into research to get through them
as quickly as possible. Even though we have all kinds of nice options open after researching AI
without an incident, we dare not jump there. We go for more Xenotechs and I finally remember that
Trade Creole gives us a boost in that direction.

We know more, but still not enough.

#36 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

SV I am shocked that you didn't know that PE halts any attack plans for time being... or did you do it on purpose ?

He also kills defenders if they have enough ships that don't fit PE point of view.

#37 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 23 July 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

SV I am shocked that you didn't know that PE halts any attack plans for time being... or did you do it on purpose ?

He also kills defenders if they have enough ships that don't fit PE point of view.
He he he, I did know what its purpose was and thought this would happen. I wasn't sure though, as I have never met it before. But not provoking it would give little material for a vid. ;)

I didn't know about the defenders. Are you sure about that? As far as I know, it is supposed to attack if you build too many warships.

EDIT; But I REALLY didn't think it would defend the Swarm.

#38 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

If defenders have something more of a 2 Dreadnought worth command points remaining he "adjust" the defending side to appropriate number

#39 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Propaganda cruiser "Poet" is parked at Hivers' doorstep. That should at least prevent a drop
in our relationship.

After researching Trade Creole, we take initiative with Morrigi.

A quick addition of two support techs.

Allows us to build "Slepi videc" (Blind Seer) destroyers at all our colonies.

Hmmm, it seems we'll all sing Kumbaya after we get rid of Zuul. Or this is just the effect of
a grand menace (PE) present. Relations may explode later on.

We're doing quite well money-wise and trade is bringing almost half our income!

Let's finish at least one Xeno research tree.

Zuul disregard the PE and attack.

We find a Tarka cluster and start an exploration wave.

Yup, nice to have the big guy around for now.

Posted Image

This world in my first cluster gives me a wish to revisit the biotech tree. With some input
it could become a really good colony.

#40 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

You forgot about 2 last techs with Hivers.

And you just barely caught up with turn time, so I will wait for your next update :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AAR, SotS, Liir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users