DAMN BRAINSUCKERS

NCC-1701-F

How many people just hate brainsuckers???? They pop up every time you kill an arthropod and etc....... but the worst part is, you've got to punch through the armor YOU put on the guy who got brainsucked..... Am i the only person who hates this............. and also, whenever you see a brainsucker, do you ever yell at your troops, "Shoot his ass, come on, shoot his ASS"???

if you hate brainsuckers, play in real-time, it is easier to kill them that way...I used to hate brainsuckers when I played turn-based, but now that I am playing Real time, I love them because the more brainsuckers I see the fewer other dangerous weapons has arthropods :power:

• 2 weeks later...

Ever have an occasion where for just one brief moment, one of your soldiers is separated from the rest of the squad? Or you have to have a single unit run off for some important task or other that requires that the soldier comes in from a different angle not realising that a brainsucker was chasing from behind?

Ever suddenly run out of bullets just as a brainsucker lands on your companion? Alternately, ever have a situation where the only armed fellow nearby just happens to only be equipped with a marsec heavy launcher and the poor fellow being brainsucked is equipped in a full suit of marsec armour and doesn't have any AP grenade or an autocannon loaded with HE shells on hand?

Ever play turn based? Now there's a real bugger if there's a swarm of brainsuckers.

Ever have your life-saving shots miss or not get there in time or even your AP grenade didn't hit the ground in time or you primed to a split second too late?

What about having large groups of soldiers (i.e 12 - 24) and, in the middle of a heated battle, not realise that one of the soldiers was brainsucked until after the fight's over or you see a pile of X-Com armour lying on the ground?

I have. It bites. :power:

If you've never had such situations before, then good for you. But they still shouldn't be underestimated.

Drop your vigilance for one very brief moment, and even the most battle hardened trooper will turn against you.

- NKF

Just wait till you get full suits of disrupter armour. You practically won't feel a thing, even when you're not wearing personal shields. All they can do is reduce your armour durability.

So while your X-Com armour holds together, you're popper-proof. :power:

- NKF

Twenty huh? Well, no. The resulting clouds will only be as effective as if you'd only thrown one (although each gas puff will be saturated, so they'll last a bit longer). You'd have to time your throws just right to get the benefit of the initial impact of each stun grenade, but that would take too long.

If the popper runs through the cloud long enough, it should get stunned. You might want to make a long corridor of stun gas which the popper must run through before it gets to you. Now, that might work. It would only need about 2 or 3 grenades timed just right.

As for the most ideal number of stun grenades: Well, there isn't one. Just bring as many as you need. My standard kit usually has 2 - 4 stun grenades in one of the side pockets.

Personally, I like to capture poppers with stun grapples. It's a lot easier, but a heck of a lot riskier too if your shots miss at the critical moment.

- NKF

wrong. if you've had a popper get up after being hit by a distruptor then it must have been at least partially stunned by something else first... like maybe it ran through some stun gas.

when poppers get hit by stuff like lasers, disruptors, and plamsa then tend not to pop, they just die quietly which does look rather like them when they're stunned.

Well, they are required if you want to use toxin and anti-alien gas weapons later on. Otherwise, for winning the game, they aren't compulsory. But it's so easy to get brainsuckers, especially if you find them in pod-form, so you might as well reasearch them.

- NKF

i just get atleast two people with stun grapples on autofire in RT and poppers don't stand a chance. i had six people (well, four really, two others were too busy firing at a christilis next to them) with one stun grapple each person on autofire taking on 3 or 4 poppers. 1/2 a minute later, mmmmm.......purple chicken meat with an explosive taste! (got the purple chicken of our own Carlos!)

• 4 weeks later...

Brainsuckers can easily avoided by making FAKE steps -change your direction often- if you ever played Half-Life, you'll understand what i mean.

Poppers can be easily avoided by marsec armor, while the brainsuckers can jump nearly 4 squares tu kiss you in the face :power:

it is useless trying to capture a popper. When you are researching psi-morph and megaspawn, you'll need the popper reserach too. And the personal shields will assist you a lot in that mission...