TFTD Extender

Tycho

I've checked it and they control music volume but only in Battlescape and only in DOS version (it's not a future of DOSBox). As I understand Your post it'd be very hard to implement this function to CE version?

I've already done something similar in EU. It would just require adapting the code for TFTD.

The num-pad +/- keys are indeed the midi volume controls for the dos versions of UFO/TFTD. The midi volume should stay the same as you move between the Geoscape and Battlescape though.

Note that it only affects the music, not the ambient audio you hear in TFTD's battlescape.

- NKF

I'm still getting crashes to desktop during Battlescape missions. Although it's happening a lot rarer than in Beta 9 it's still there. I have a theory though - it might be something with grenades interacting with other objects such as landscape.

I got this problem couple of days ago during USO recovery mission when alien grenade exploded on a sunken galleon wreckage. Also in last mission (Terror Site) when a threw a smoke grenade to cover my soldier from aliens fire. After the end of my turn grenade got off on one of those really small hills. Immediately after that the game crashed with message "application failure". It happened while using last version and when I reverted to 1.0.7.2.

Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot but I've attached my save game file.

EDIT

Another crash couple of minutes ago while I was trying to finish terror mission mentioned above. This time I've managed to capture a screenshot with a crash info, though I don't know if it helps.

post-6123-0-27371100-1457557177_thumb.jpg

EDIT #2

While setting up production of Ion Armour I've found such a glitch:

post-6123-0-27626400-1457622963_thumb.jpg

GAME_5 Aliens Terrorize Tonga.zip

Edited by Ros

• 1 year later...

Hi, it's been almost a year with no updates, is this project dead?

Second question, if it is still being worked on, is there any chance of getting a "general store size" mod like UFO Extender has? I kinda liked having less inventory management to worry about by setting the stores to 255 instead of 50 items. I know it was cheating, but it made it more fun than the constant hassle.

• 5 months later...

Five years sure passed quickly since my last post in here. Dang it.

Great to see this project evolved over the time I was away. It is invaluable for us that want to experience the game like it was intended (minus the bugs), but with essential optional quality of life improvements which were all but common in the '90s.

I've read through the whole topic again and checked out the latest version - I very pleased you decided to allow us personal choice about all the things you so diligently worked to implement. Your application of coding skills that you've learned along the way (and with UFOex) really showed when I compared the exe&dll sizes to older ones, hehe. Much more compact compared to before even with more features thrown in.

Of all the new stuff you've put since 1.05p4 I only selected Slow Geoscape Clock, lol. Just can't get myself to change the game too much. Difficult to teach old dog new tricks kind of thingy... I do like the new clock though. Mine also passed 3mins in-game for 1 sec of real-world on slowest speed and I didn't like it, even it was how I remembered it. Now I don't have to endure that feeling of being rushed when making decisions about multiple alien ships in Geoscape.

Since my last post I played for only a week more before I got exhausted of my 4-month long on-and-off playthrough. Game worked flawlessly with my minimalistic [Mod] choices. That Save Equipment was the last on my list that needed fixing! After that week I discovered another UFO game called: UFO Extraterrestrials Gold! I though I was done with hunting aliens in corridors and playing same ol' same ol' rehashed mechanics but that game turned out to be de-facto UFO type standard for me (unlike Xenotards which was a major disappointment). It got me hooked so bad next 2-3 months that I completely forgot about TFTD. And this topic, but that was largely due to my lack of notification understanding.

Hope whoever reads doesn't mind this minor digression of mine. To make up for it I'll leave you a tip. This one is on me:

(I believe most people set this wrong as per ufopedia.org and ExtenderINIref.txt advices)

- To set proper game aspect ratio on a 16:9 monitor change Screen Ratio=1.111111 (D3D only)

(six decimals because I dunno how many are needed but old Seb's loader had 6)

This will get you properly upscaled 320x200 screen and globe will be a perfect sphere.

Formula: X = [your current monitor ratio] / [game screen ratio]

Values in [] are in decimals. "Game screen ratio" should be 16:10 (or 1.6), but you can set it to whatever you wish (eg 4:3).

• 2 years later...

Is this project dead?

I was hoping for a few features from the X-com counterpart to be implemented,

First, the General Stores mod, where you can increase the capacity of general stores from 50 up to 255 (or was it 254?).

Second the cheat that lets you see all the aliens on the map or control the aliens.

The second I mostly want for the "Where is that last alien?" scenarios. When I have to search one of the huge maps for that one alien hiding in a closet (often literally, especially on ships) and just wind up wasting lots of time with the boring search.

• 2 months later...

Recently I came back to tie up loose ends of my 2 never completed TFTD playthroughs (one 8 years old now - started at the begging of this topic as witnessed by my cringe inducing posts, the other even older at 14...). Grabbed the latest extender for the first time but it has shown it some outstanding issues still, even with very conservative .ini setup. Manufacture crash when setting exact number of units to produce for example, and many battlescape related crashes occurring on alien turns (sometimes reload and end turn fixed it as they reacted differently). Always when last alien alive panics however. Mostly it's safe to play unless raiding alien colony (1st stage) where it crashes regularly. I carry around extender v1.05p4 and quickly shuffle files around to bypass rough crashes. Pretty playable as far I'm concerned.

I'll forever stick to TFTDextender over OpenXcom only because 2 things: vanilla AI and save compatibility. Although I cheated once and loaded my save in OXC only to marvel at my perfect eyesight as I discovered I placed bases perfectly far away from each other! They sure poshed it up with many other QoL stuff, no question.

@slickrcbd

I like to think Tycho took a well deserved vacation. And then aliens probably abducted him as he was revealing all their secrets. Hope he's OK though. Whenever I revisit this forum I remember the excitement at the beginning and watching new extender develop before our eyes. Probably opposite for Tycho as the only thing he remembers is assembly code and endless stream of bug reports, lol.

I too would like to see the project finished. At least squishing the few remaining bugs, but wouldn't object additional "Where is that last alien?" (and reveal alien bases on gescape) flag. Don't get me started on last alien base raid and one elusive mtf Tentaculat. In the end I resorted to learning XcomUtil just because I heard it can reveal map using VIS flag. The only program I found that managed to end that long misery of mine.

Don't see it happening but extender's latest source code from 2013 (unpatched v1.07) is available in case some freak of nature is willing to continue Tycho's sacred work. Highly wishful thinking on my part, especially with OXC doing almost everything better. One can hope.

Greetings from a fellow Aquanaut.

• 3 years later...