TFTD Extender

Tycho

I actually noticed something else just now. When playing the default midi tracks (after setting mp3 playback to "Apply=0"), the midi versions of those two tracks seem to be reversed in the same way. Would that be a seperate function from the mp3 function, or are they basically the same thing?

Midi music is handled by calls to a particular file ID. If the midi is playing the same music as the mp3s for a particular event, which is switched from the PSX order, I would have to conclude that the designers' of the PSX version switched their files.

Midi music is handled by calls to a particular file ID. If the midi is playing the same music as the mp3s for a particular event, which is switched from the PSX order, I would have to conclude that the designers' of the PSX version switched their files.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but are you saying that those themes are supposed to be reversed in the PSX version?

I was curious, so I went and downloaded an ISO of the PSX version of TftD. The mission debrief themes in that version play in the same order they do in the original DOS version ("Debrief Good" for good, and "Debrief Poor" for poor).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but are you saying that those themes are supposed to be reversed in the PSX version?

I was curious, so I went and downloaded an ISO of the PSX version of TftD. The mission debrief themes in that version play in the same order they do in the original DOS version ("Debrief Good" for good, and "Debrief Poor" for poor).

OK. Now I understand the entire issue: The DOS and PSX version's both play the same music for the Good and Poor Debriefing while the Window's version has them reversed . Maybe I misunderstood your original post, but I thought we were only comparing the Window's and PSX versions until now. To be honest, I haven't given this issue a lot of investigation: When playing, I usually check that I have a positive score or how many many aliens captured alive before getting back to Geoscape, I don't pay attention to the music as long as there is music playing at the time. I'll look into this a little further. Thanks for taking the time to research it!

update: I compared the DOS game to Windows and the music was reversed. The "sadder" song with what sounds like a harp playing, was the "good" outcome song while the "more positive" song with what sounds like a trumpet, played for the bad outcome. The decision point on what song to choose had the trumpet playing when the score was less than or equal to zero. I changed this to be when the score is greater than zero. I can't check the mp3 playback as my system exits the game when it tries to play an mp3.

Edited by Tycho

OK. Now I understand the entire issue: The DOS and PSX version's both play the same music for the Good and Poor Debriefing while the Window's version has them reversed . Maybe I misunderstood your original post, but I thought we were only comparing the Window's and PSX versions until now. To be honest, I haven't given this issue a lot of investigation: When playing, I usually check that I have a positive score or how many many aliens captured alive before getting back to Geoscape, I don't pay attention to the music as long as there is music playing at the time. I'll look into this a little further. Thanks for taking the time to research it!

update: I compared the DOS game to Windows and the music was reversed. The "sadder" song with what sounds like a harp playing, was the "good" outcome song while the "more positive" song with what sounds like a trumpet, played for the bad outcome. The decision point on what song to choose had the trumpet playing when the score was less than or equal to zero. I changed this to be when the score is greater than zero. I can't check the mp3 playback as my system exits the game when it tries to play an mp3.

Yeah, sorry about that. I should've made it more clear what I was comparing. If you care, this thread over here has suggestions on how to get the mp3 soundtrack working if it's causing your game to crash.

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530

I'd be happy to test mp3 playback when you post the next patch though. Thanks a lot for looking into this!

Yeah, sorry about that. I should've made it more clear what I was comparing. If you care, this thread over here has suggestions on how to get the mp3 soundtrack working if it's causing your game to crash.

https://forums.steamp...d.php?t=1146530

I'd be happy to test mp3 playback when you post the next patch though. Thanks a lot for looking into this!

Thanks for the offer but the link you provided helped me get the mp3 working after I converted into .ogg format. I checked and the files play correctly with my correction to the code. Thanks a lot! :)

version 1.05 patch 1: note: you will first need version 1.05 from the files section of this site or from the UFOpaedia site.

• Aircraft will now automatically engage an airborne target when it reaches water. Barracuda will automatically follow and intercept a very deep USO once it reaches a shallower depth. The only time a player will receive the "Mission too deep" message is if they dispatch a Triton to a site in very deep water.
  • Unconscious units that die after their body has been moved and later caught in an explosion, will have their corpse appear where the body was killed rather than where the unit initially went unconscious.
  • Particle Disturbance Detector animation has been slowed.
  • Fixed the music that plays at the mission summary screen, depending on a good/bad outcome. The music now matches the DOS version.
  • Fixed an issue with save equipment that prevented some units from being reequipped.
  • Fixed an error that prevented access to the Leviathan research topic when playing with alternate tech level 3.
  • Fixed End Of Battle routine:

1. Units MCed when the last alien is killed will not become MIA.

2. For aborted missions, all units will be checked for MIA status solely based on their position on the map. Units MCed or unconscious in the Xcraft at the time of aborting, will not be MIA.

3. On multiple-stage missions:

• Units that are unconscious when the last alien is killed will continue to the next stage.
  • All units will have their energy and morale restored to full and stun level reset.
  • In addition, each unit will receive a small amount of healing (up to a maximum of 10 points) and the severity of any active fatal wounds will be lowered (to a minimum of 1 for each location).
  • [Note: The last two options were already in-game but only occurred on ship missions, I just adjusted the routine to include all multiple-stage missions.]

update: new version released. See new posts in this topic. Thanks for supporting TFTD Extender!

Hi Tycho

I would just like to thank you for all your fantastic efforts on this. Your loader makes a great game so much better! Do you have any plans to tackle the small ship mix up in Terror or the issue where the Aliens continue to attack a base with an endless supply of ships when you destroy one with base defences? If not no probs, still an amazing bit of work.

More important fixes!

If I were Firaxis, I would send all the extender programmers five free copies of the new game ....and the strategycore operators too, and myself and anyone else reading this while I'm at it...and a bar of muton soap. Not that they smell like mutons, but if there were such a thing, I would want to have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why trying to use MP3 files for the soundtrack causes the game to crash for some people?

This problem just started happening to me out of the blue when the game was playing mp3s perfectly before. It's not something that was caused by the newest patch, because mp3s were playing fine when I tested it a few days ago. I've done the work around of using .ogg music files instead of .mp3s, but I'm puzzled as to why the problem happens in the first place.

EDIT - Actually, never mind. I figured out why it was happening on my end at least. The problem seemed to have been caused by a codec I installed to allow Windows Media player to - ironically enough - play .ogg files. I did a system restore to before the codec was installed, and the problem disappeared.

Edited by JurassicUtility

Does anyone know why trying to use MP3 files for the soundtrack causes the game to crash for some people?

This problem just started happening to me out of the blue when the game was playing mp3s perfectly before. It's not something that was caused by the newest patch, because mp3s were playing fine when I tested it a few days ago. I've done the work around of using .ogg music files instead of .mp3s, but I'm puzzled as to why the problem happens in the first place.

EDIT - Actually, never mind. I figured out why it was happening on my end at least. The problem seemed to have been caused by a codec I installed to allow Windows Media player to - ironically enough - play .ogg files. I did a system restore to before the codec was installed, and the problem disappeared.

Good job finding out the issue, Jurrasic! I've had a similar problem with MP3s, where the game hangs whenever it switches to a new MP3 or starts to replay the same one again. I'll check my codecs and see if one is to blame.

Good job finding out the issue, Jurrasic! I've had a similar problem with MP3s, where the game hangs whenever it switches to a new MP3 or starts to replay the same one again. I'll check my codecs and see if one is to blame.

You might also try setting "Music change freeze=0" if you have it enabled. I don't know if it affects mp3 playback, but it was definitely screwing up midi playback when I tried enabling it.

The specific codec that caused the issue was this one . It's a codec that's directly linked to on the official ogg vorbis site, so I was a little surprised it was causing issues. The other weird thing that happened was that while I was able to play .ogg files using TFDExtender, but not mp3s. UFOExtender with the original X-COM would crash the instant it tried to play both .mp3 and .ogg files.

Hi,

i am really excited about your TFTD Extender...unfortunatly, i get some weird glitches when running the TFTD CE (bought it via steam, running it manually with the exe, not through steam) on my Windows 7 machine..

Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

You'll need to be more specific, "weird glitches" tells me nothing. What folder did you copy the Extender files into? What exactly is happening that you call a glitch? Have you changed any of the settings in the INI file?

Hi,

i am really excited about your TFTD Extender...unfortunatly, i get some weird glitches when running the TFTD CE (bought it via steam, running it manually with the exe, not through steam) on my Windows 7 machine..

https://img6.imagebanana.com/img/if1eh55p/thumb/glitch.jpg

Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

I think I know what your problem is. Go to the TFTExtender.ini and change D3D=0 to D3D=1.

Tycho, thanks for your diligent work. I can't not word it how much i appreciate it :)

Also Seb76, X-guy too (sry can't remember name) and Kyrub - thank you all. Now we can re-live our memories! friends.gif

After been away for a while and coming back now i see new updates ohmy2.gif Bravo Bravo grin.gif

I'll test it soon enough alien.gifhunter.gif

I just released a recompiled version of 1.05p1, which is now 1.05p1.1. This new dll requires the MS VC2008 redist to be installed on the computer. It does seem to resolve some compatibility issues with Windows 7. File available on UFOpaedia site. Follow the link in my signature.

Hi there everyone, I have been a huge fan of X-COM since I was 14yrs old back in 1994. I have just started playing again as I now have been converted over to the PC side of gaming and not too upto date with Mods etc. I need someone to talk me through the procedure step by step to get the extender working with TFTD if possible, I have the steam version. I am also happy to chat on skype and even share screens just so someone can help me out get this set up correctly. I also want to add the MP3 soundtrack to the game. Please help :0(

Hi there everyone, I have been a huge fan of X-COM since I was 14yrs old back in 1994. I have just started playing again as I now have been converted over to the PC side of gaming and not too upto date with Mods etc. I need someone to talk me through the procedure step by step to get the extender working with TFTD if possible, I have the steam version. I am also happy to chat on skype and even share screens just so someone can help me out get this set up correctly. I also want to add the MP3 soundtrack to the game. Please help :0(

I had some hiccups trying use the steam version as well. I'll try to help you out.

The first thing you want to do is copy or move the "Terror from the Deep" folder to different location - you can probably find this in "Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/Common". I have yet to see a method of getting the modded version to work in Steam, so the easiest thing to do is to just move the game files and run it outside of Steam.

Next, you'll want to download three files from this page: "version 1.05", "version 1.05p1", and "patch 1.05p1.1".

In your "Terror from the Deep" folder, find the "TFD" folder and extract the files you downloaded in the order I presented them (Select "copy and replace" or "yes to all" whenever prompted to overwrite). This page has basic install instructions and mentions some prerequisites that you'll need to run the game and some of the mod's features. It also tells you what each option in the .ini does. Make sure you open the "TFDExtender.ini" file and change "D3D=0" to "D3D=1" if it isn't already. I think most of the best options are enabled by default, but you can read over what each option does and tweak to taste.

To launch the game, make sure you double-click "TFDExtender.exe" and not "Terror from the deep.exe". That will be the file you want create a shortcut to for easy access.

Now for mp3 music.

Under MP3 change "Apply=0" to "Apply=1". Create a new folder inside TFD and name it "MP3". You can place whatever music you want in the MP3 folder (as long as the file names match what is in the .ini), but I'd recommend Kain's awesome remastered soundtrack. Some people have problems with the game crashing when it tries to play mp3 files, the work around is to use .ogg files instead.

And... I think that's it! If you have any problems I'm sure that I or someone else will be able to give you a hand. Have fun killing lobster-men!

biggrin.png

Edited by JurassicUtility

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to use TFTDextender with Xcomutil? I'm particulary interested in its AutoCombat feature. During the late game tactical fights become very annoying.

As I understand, most of other [important] fixes/mods are already implemented in the extender.

I know that UFO Extender is compatible with XcomUtil but I'm not 100% sure about Terror.

For Enemy Unknown, you can't use DOSbox with Extender so you have to run the setup for XcomUtil through a windows command prompt and the start the game the same way.

Yes, I'm aware of it. However, if I'm not mistaken, I have to launch the game using the xcomutil exe-file to use autocombat feature. I googled pretty hard beforehand and stumbled upon this discussion https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User_talk:Seb76#UFOloader_and_Xcomutil Not very encouraging I'd say.

Let's try the other way round. Is there any chance that autocombat option will be implemented to the extender?