TFTD Extender

Tycho

Hopefully, this will get the HQ4X working with D3D. Please try it and let me know. My system won't support the resolution.

HQ4X works perfectly now. You are amazing - fast response and fast fix too.

Thank you very much sir, glad we have people like you improving Xcom games in 2012 :)

For me the 1.03p4 patch seems to make HQ4X work fine in both fullscreen and windowed with D3D enabled. That was a fast fix. Edit : I'm glad you happen to know how to patch this game so well.

I noticed lately that two features that I think are very good about UFOExtender aren't working in TFTDExtender. I don't know if you have a TODO list, or plans for your patching, but those features are save equipment, doubleclick movement.and range based accuracy.

Have you noticed these not working? Anyone else? Save equipment makes the game much less of a hassle especially when you've got lots of troops.

I think I've got saved equipment and doubleclick movement working. I checked into ranged based accuracy. I changed a slight formatting issue but I don't think that was a problem. I verified that it works for me.

Here is the patch that should at least take care of the equipment and movement:

Update: New patched released. See newer entries in this topic. Thanks for supporting TFTDextender!

Edited by Tycho

HQ4X works perfectly now. You are amazing - fast response and fast fix too.

Thank you very much sir, glad we have people like you improving Xcom games in 2012 smile.png

I follow the M. Scott theory to being a "miracle worker". wink.png

Actually, a lot of these are side-effects that Kryub or I have introduced with some of the conversion to TFTD or rearrangements to the way the various mod are being loaded.

The last update works fine in terms of equipment saving and double click movement too.

There is something strange that I noticed though. For some reason there are no reaction fire in the game.

I tested this extensively after playing a terror mission. Neither my agents nor the aliens react to enemy movement.

More Reaction Fire is set to 0 for me, I tested it with value of 1 and the result is the same.

After much reinventing of the wheel..I finally realized that the problem I initially had with this mod, which I though I had fixed, somehow had been undone. Any any case, this should make underwater weapons behave properly.

Talk about a really frustrating episode for me..

update: New patch is available. Please see new entries in this topic. Thanks for supporting TFTDextender!

Hmmm it seems saved equipment isn't working after all >_> (double click working fine though).

On a side note, the game doesn't seem to recognize the PSX CD in order to play the music. The MP3s work fine.

Edit: Sorry I don't want to spam you with requests. The game is fantastically playable as it is right now and your work is greatly appreciated.

Hello again after couple pages,

Tycho, I found a little bug that is specific to extender because it includes a feature that isn't available in plain exe. I have Triton-1 in base 1 and Triton-2 in base 2. When i click to equip triton-2 and then on crew i have the option to reorder crew in craft and to click on their names to check their stats for my convenience. So far so good, those are both features of the extender. Problem is when i click aquanauts name and then try to scroll trough the soldiers list only in triton-2. As soon as i click either << or >> the list changes to soldiers list from triton-1 and stays there. I think it's meant to go only trough triton-2 list, conveniently allowing you to quickly reorder the guys based on their stats smile.png (and if i recall it was like that in Enemy Unknown extender)

I'll attach a savegame again so you can quickly test it as bases and tritions are on stand-by smile.png

And the problem of crashing when about to enter the tactical battle didn't appear again (30 missions so far). Btw, that glitch from my first post almost made me stop playing, halting my UFO series who knows how long smile.png Thank you so much for helping me first time - no way i would know it only the matter of reloading before game creates crash site smile.png

Also can i ask do you take small requests to improve some small things? I'm asking cause i wouldn't want to delay or derail your humble work. I'm not demanding at all rolleyes.gif. No really smile.png

For example i reaaaally wished that you make the Skip Intro work and boy was i glad when i tested patch6 biggrin.png

Thanks again man for your work! You know, i started playing new Deus Ex: HR (only good AAA game since half-life 1 i say) for the second time just before i started TFTD and after u helped me i hardly ran Deus again. You can't beat old DOS classic + the marvelous work to make it better in 2012 :)

I thought I had noticed 'some sort of difference' with reaction fire also, but kept testing since I thought it might have been just a long string of bad luck!

But I have not seen reaction fire (only from my troops) in a long time and was playing with more reaction fire=1, all throughout the week, many hours. But what complicated things is that I was using mostly weapons with only aimed shot (which don't work for reaction fire), but I am glad the bug was found.

These new developments are really exciting, thanks Tycho, I will use 1.03p6 today.

What was the error with underwater weapons on land=1 ? I ask in case I might notice it later.

Edit 1:

I haven't used 1.03p6 just yet but I noticed that in my game, I wasn't able to get Ion Armor available, I guess because I made the mistake of researching Deep One Terrorist before I had Ion Beam accelerators researched (and/or maybe available also?)., Deep One terrorist is repeatable in my setup, I didn't edit that in (don't know how to edit exe related research stuff yet)., but repeating it after I had MagNav/IonBeam done did not give me access to Ion Armor (I have Plastic Aqua armor, deep one terrorist and ion beam accelerators)

Is it only me under these circumstances?

...So I edited my research.dat and enabled Ion Armor and can research it. It is record #61, like EU's power armor, listed on ufopaedia.org .

Edit 2 :

I confirm that I had coelacanth/gauss available after I finished researching Gauss Cannon craft weapon and before Gauss Defenses.

Tycho, I found a little bug that is specific to extender because it includes a feature that isn't available in plain exe. I have Triton-1 in base 1 and Triton-2 in base 2. When i click to equip triton-2 and then on crew i have the option to reorder crew in craft and to click on their names to check their stats for my convenience. So far so good, those are both features of the extender. Problem is when i click aquanauts name and then try to scroll trough the soldiers list only in triton-2. As soon as i click either > the list changes to soldiers list from triton-1 and stays there. I think it's meant to go only trough triton-2 list, conveniently allowing you to quickly reorder the guys based on their stats smile.png (and if i recall it was like that in Enemy Unknown extender)

I'll attach a savegame again so you can quickly test it as bases and tritions are on stand-by smile.png

And the problem of crashing when about to enter the tactical battle didn't appear again (30 missions so far). Btw, that glitch from my first post almost made me stop playing, halting my UFO series who knows how long smile.png Thank you so much for helping me first time - no way i would know it only the matter of reloading before game creates crash site smile.png

For example i reaaaally wished that you make the Skip Intro work and boy was i glad when i tested patch6 biggrin.png

I glad its turning out so well, despite all the small issues. I can imagine how bad I would feel about a game kept crashing on my first mission! ugh!bleh.gif I'm happy to know it was just a bizarre occurance. About the issue with the tritons, just to clarify things: The problem is not with rearranging the soldiers in the craft, correct? the problem is only when you want to view the stats of the soldier by clicking on their name and then clicking either the left or right button to get to the next soldier... if that is the case, I'll look into it at some point. (I don't think I've ever tried that in any game.)

I didn't quite understand... Does "skip intro" work for you?

I'm actually amazed at how much I have been able to do, considering that I didn't understand anything about disassembly or coding with it until about 7 months ago. :)

What was the error with underwater weapons on land=1 ? I ask in case I might notice it later.

I had to write in assembly language in order to insert the necessary code into the right spot and not mess up the rest of the subroutine in the process. In my code, I made an error in how to set a memory address, which prevented it from accessing the information on weapons. As a result, it didn't get the right values and considered all weapons unable to use snap shot at reaction checks. It was a matter of changing "mov ax, word ptr 0xabcdef[esi]"to "mov ax, word ptr ds:0xabcdef[esi]."

I can't read the assembly instructions but I know what you mean with the rest of it. The effect on snap weapons would explain why I wasn't seeing reaction fire since I modded pistol-class weapons to only have snap shot as in civilian's mod.

Do you like the Heavy Laser mod Seb76 did for UFOLoader? I would like to see that for Heavy Gauss in TFTD! - to make it again a one-of-a-kind weapon compared with other heavy weapons, with exported Acc, Tus and energy requirements to the INI, the only reason I didn't use that as standard with UFOLoader, because it was not adjustable , otherwise it was awesome in my opinon..

. I don't remember if seb76's original mod for the heavy laser took in account normal damage and stats from obdata.dat. If so, my modded damage which is lower than the usual , is just waiting for this kind of 'hack'!

And in that case I might give slightly more damage to sonic pistol....

I ask for more things because you seem plenty skilled at doing it. But do you have more plans too?

I can't read the assembly instructions but I know what you mean with the rest of it. The effect on snap weapons would explain why I wasn't seeing reaction fire since I modded pistol-class weapons to only have snap shot as in civilian's mod.

Do you like the Heavy Laser mod Seb76 did for UFOLoader? I would like to see that for Heavy Gauss in TFTD! - to make it again a one-of-a-kind weapon compared with other heavy weapons, with exported Acc, Tus and energy requirements to the INI, the only reason I didn't use that as standard with UFOLoader, because it was not adjustable , otherwise it was awesome in my opinon..

. I don't remember if seb76's original mod for the heavy laser took in account normal damage and stats from obdata.dat. If so, my modded damage which is lower than the usual , is just waiting for this kind of 'hack'!

And in that case I might give slightly more damage to sonic pistol....

I ask for more things because you seem plenty skilled at doing it. But do you have more plans too?

I never played with the heavy laser mod for EU. I can see how it fit for the laser, since a laser is a continous beam and not really a "blaster" like most sci-fi portrays them to be. But then, it should have applied for all the laser weapons, not just the heavy, but Seb wanted the HL to be special. I always thought gauss weapons should have autofire, but that is a standard OBDATA.DAT mod that anyone can do, if they so choose. I've already modified the gauss tank to do that.

• I've got fixes to remove the leftover code from EU as it relates to the Terror Units:
    • Deep Ones will get an electric blast shot and not the "spit-fire" from the Celatid.
    • The Bio-Drone stops burning the ground like the silacoid.

• I hope to find and make an exclusion for the production routine to limit a production of one item to only the maximum number of technicians for that item.
  • It seems Blade removed the fix for soldiers who were MCed at the end of the game becoming MIA even though Xcom won the battle because it was ressurrecting KIA soldiers as well. I might see if I can fix that.
  • I also want to look into whether a solution can be had for the two ships that are switched to switch them back and not require players to replace files.
  • I hope to make ship missions randomly determine the use of the cruise liner or cargo ship (originally the second stage) models.
  • I'm thinking about giving a hp bonus to all aliens until Xcom performs an autopsy on the species to learn the location of their vital organs (like in the movie "Battle of LA"). This would give more importance to performing autopsies rather than just as a stepping stone to new tech.

Edit 1:

I haven't used 1.03p6 just yet but I noticed that in my game, I wasn't able to get Ion Armor available, I guess because I made the mistake of researching Deep One Terrorist before I had Ion Beam accelerators researched (and/or maybe available also?)., Deep One terrorist is repeatable in my setup, I didn't edit that in (don't know how to edit exe related research stuff yet)., but repeating it after I had MagNav/IonBeam done did not give me access to Ion Armor (I have Plastic Aqua armor, deep one terrorist and ion beam accelerators)

Is it only me under these circumstances?

That is because the requirement for Ion Armor has been changed and a live deep one is not the requirement anymore. Of course, if you've hacked the research.dat file and are able to produce them, you probably know what the requirement is.

Yep that is correct, get through the soldiers only in triton-1 or triton-2 depending in which 'triton list' i am. And just noticed i forgot to attach the save file smile.png

Uh oh, i just discovered a nastier version of this bug. Was going to tell you that you have to scroll through any other list except triton-1 to see the bug, so i tested what happens if i scroll thru triton-1 list cause then bug wouldn't show. But yep it does. After I click first name on triton-1 crew list and try to scroll whole PC freezes and ctrl+alt+del is needed. And i just can't help but to re-order the guys based on their TU this being the most convenient method smile.png

Skip Intro works (tested with patch6), my mouse thanks you for that. Seeing it took more punishment to get thru the intro then mouse of a Korean starcraft player smile.png To fix that was my 2nd wish. 1st is to make save equipment work but i didn't yet have a chance to test if it does or not. You say it should work, Kasumimi says it's still not; I'll give you my input too when i test it. My final wish is a bit luxurious: i'm wondering if it's possible to slow down then moving of an arrow above the selected soldier? biggrin.png It's not the arrow but also the enemy Xarquid also animates up/down at same speed so im thinking they're connected somehow. Kinda to slow animation down to normal level but keep the game running normally, not slow it down too. To combat this i have limited fps to 44 to get animations a bit slower but it also slows down entire game. Hope u get me smile.png

About the reaction fire: i never saw it either from mine soldiers or aliens. My 'more reaction fire' is 0. Only exception that i encountered is when enemy Xarquid returns fire after i hit him on my turn. Don't know if that qualifies as reaction fire tho.

7 months you say? Is that what they call on internet: level asian biggrin.png

EDIT: Just had my soldier react fire for the first time and he wasn't fired upon himself (GAME_8). End turn and alien should come out of his sub, kill one of my guys, then other guy kills him in the back :). Keep End turning until it happens, might not happen on the first go.

GAME_3.rar

GAME_8.rar

"That is because the requirement for Ion Armor has been changed and a live deep one is not the requirement anymore. Of course, if you've hacked the research.dat file and are able to produce them, you probably know what the requirement is"

I had forgotten I was using alternate research=3 and prefer to keep using it. I had a feeling that's what was going on. Kind of nice for mystery in a new game. IIRC research.dat has 00 00 1B (offsets 02 to 04) for ion armor. Ufopaedia has that being a number of things, xcom craft or armaments, hwp's, base facilities, or alien research. Well, I'll keep playing and testing research.dat. Will you release 'spoilers' or a way to determine what the modified tree is?

You modified Gauss tank in a personal mod or in tftdextender? I would like to use that change too.

• I hope to make ship missions randomly determine the use of the cruise liner or cargo ship (originally the second stage) models.
  • I'm thinking about giving a hp bonus to all aliens until Xcom performs an autopsy on the species to learn the location of their vital organs (like in the movie "Battle of LA"). This would give more importance to performing autopsies rather than just as a stepping stone to new tech.

I like those particularly.

About bio-drone 'tracks' , but doesn't it add a gameplay element, making it known when a bio-drone is near or present? And of the deep one's attack, isnt it also a gameplay element that they can attack in an arc, like a grenade over obstacles, but without an explosive area of effect? It could change gameplay, though not necessarily a bad thing, I think it adds variety to those units. Do you plan to remove the arc or only improve the shot effect of the deep one? Of course I would like you to do whatever you want, but also am curious about what you will be able to do with the deep-one shot replacement.

Edit :

I can't load a coelacanth/gauss onto the triton because it says 'not enough rounds to rearm sws'. I have been using this savedgame always with tftdextender 1.03 or greater, I don't know what could be causing that. Is it just me?

Edit :

I can't load a coelacanth/gauss onto the triton because it says 'not enough rounds to rearm sws'. I have been using this savedgame always with tftdextender 1.03 or greater, I don't know what could be causing that. Is it just me?

How many rounds of tank gauss ammo do you have in your base?

Well, I think I got the save equipment finally working. I would be interested to hear how this works on two stage missions.

update: new patch version is available. See new posts in this topic. Thanks for supporting TFTDextender!

Edited by Tycho

I had a weird problem (or just a suprise) at a combomod alien base on land so I got caught up in that and doing stuff with research.dat and so I didn't test save equipment but I am looking forward to it.

I'm not able to manufacture anything that looks like gauss tank ammo but I can manufacture gauss cannon ammo for the craft weapon. Maybe its my savedgame malfunctioning and I will need to edit in the ability to manufacture that..?

Thanks. I think i'll edit the dat file to call it "General Big Gauss Ammo" or something..'Large' Might not fit in the string..

Would you consider putting a note of that in your patch notes, and that you need something around 60-90 rounds to equip a gauss tank? I didn't get the exact amount. Although that might only be general TFTD knowledge, I don't know what bug you fixed with the gauss tank ammo because I rarely used it in TFTD.

Edit : I tested.. Each Gauss tank requires 50 'General Big Gauss Ammo' to load on to a ship.

'General Big Gauss Ammo' seems to fit fine in manufacturing menu and buy/sell menu when replacing the string at the end of english.dat .

Edit : something's definitely 'weird' with manufacturing formula... I read your explanation before, but maybe didn't understand it, since this seems not what I expected , when manufacturing some gauss rounds takes 18 hours instead of 5 like the game reports. I thought the problem was only some sort of inefficiency when an item could be made in less than one hour....But could this (silent wasting) be intentional, to simulate some kind of rising inefficiency when the number of technicians working on a single simpler task also rises? Well, maybe the formula could use a rewrite like you (or someone) says.

I found the problem that Nilex reported: The problem with modding TFTD after EU is that one has gotten use to knowing the offsets by heart. One forgets that some files in TFTD are larger than EU and their layout is completely different. Its easy to scan through the code and forget to verify the offsets in the algorithms for all the variables.

This should fix the crash when viewing the soldiers' stats after clicking on them in the crew dialog window. I verified in a simple test that the mod for equip soldiers worked. I don't know if there will be any strange side-effects when proceeding to the second stage of a mission. I would advise everyone to save their game before you think you'll be ending the first stage.

Update: New patch released. See newer entries in this topic. Thanks for supporting TFTDextender!

20 technicians making 20 units of Gauss Ammo reports 0/5 days/hours in the manufacturing screen, but I counted the number of hours roughly it took, it was around 18 hours. Do I misunderstand something about the manufacturing screen?

Otherwise the manufacturing screen says it takes 5 technician hours per unit, and 2 space.

Edit : Ok, good. I understand your post that comes after mine.

No. Your not missing anything. The problem here is that the algorithm used in the manufacture screen to determine the length of time for the order is not the same one used by the hourly activity subroutine, which determines how many items have been made since the last hour. The same problem that was in EU on the reported monthly maintenance cost versus the amount actually deducted at the end of the month.