457 replies to this topic

#441 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

Unfortunately new version isn't working on my system (Windows XP SP3). On Geoscape everything is fine but when I sent my aquanauts on a mission to recover shot down USO it crashes after couple of turns. All I get is this error message:
TFTD 1.0.7.3 Beta_crash.jpg

BTW, I can't get any version of TFTDextender to work on Windows 7. It crashes after running main executable. Any useful tips / guides?

#442 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

1.07.3beta:
  • Fix for a crash during battles
  • Fix an error with the Alternate Tech Tree mod: Option 1 now stacks correctly with Option 2.
  • The game will now load all unit graphics when loading a saved battle.  This will prevent invisible units and seems to make the game more stable.
Click here to download

#443 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostRos, on 02 March 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

Unfortunately new version isn't working on my system (Windows XP SP3). On Geoscape everything is fine but when I sent my aquanauts on a mission to recover shot down USO it crashes after couple of turns.
BTW, I can't get any version of TFTDextender to work on Windows 7. It crashes after running main executable. Any useful tips / guides?

I had a typo in one routine which was causing the crash.  

Some people get the Extender to work with no problem and others find their system doesn't like it at all.  I think it has to do with video or sound drivers but that is just a guess.  Does the original _patched.exe loader work?

#444 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostTycho, on 04 March 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

1.07.3 beta10:
  • Fix for a crash during battles
  • Fix an error with the Alternate Tech Tree mod: Option 1 now stacks correctly with Option 2.

Thanks Tycho! Testing it right now and everything seems to be working fine in Battlescape mode.

Although I've still have a problem with Alternate Tech Tree mod but this may have something with my stupidity Posted Image To test this mod I've started a new game with Option 2 selected and using an editor I've put into my stores a Deep One corpse and small amount of Aqua Plastics. Next I've done the research:
- first Deep One corpse which unblocked Aqua Plastics,
- after researching Aqua Plastics I got Plastic Aqua Armour,
- now to obtain Ion Armour I should research Ion-Beam Accelerators but after researching it I get nothing. I even tried researching Accelerators before Plastic Aqua Armour but result is the same - I don't have "Ion Armour" topic.
I know I'm missing something but what?
I've attached my savegame -seems that "7z" file format is not permitted.

Attached Files

#445 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:06 AM

1.07.3beta:
  • Ion Armor will now be unlocked correctly with Alternate Tech Tree mod under options 1 and 2.
  • Replaced the prerequisite for Ion Armor from a live Deep One to Zrbite on option 1 and 2.
Click here to download

Thanks to Ros for helping me isolate the problem!  

The issue wasn't in my logic for unlocking the research but that the section of code, where Ion Armor is unlocked, is skipped if the completed research is not a live alien.  I had to alter the code to shorten the jump destination.

#446 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

View PostTycho, on 04 March 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

I had a typo in one routine which was causing the crash. Some people get the Extender to work with no problem and others find their system doesn't like it at all. I think it has to do with video or sound drivers but that is just a guess. Does the original _patched.exe loader work?

Yes, it works! Thanks Tycho for the tip! I haven't been using Steam version because it's very strange DOS / Collector's Edition hybrid. Instead I've been using CE version downloaded from some abandonware site. Yesterday I've applied TFTDextender on my Steam version and it worked. So I guess it's not that bad anyway Posted Image

View PostTycho, on 06 March 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

1.07.3beta:
  • Ion Armor will now be unlocked correctly with Alternate Tech Tree mod under options 1 and 2.
  • Replaced the prerequisite for Ion Armor from a live Deep One to Zrbite on option 1 and 2.
Click here to download Thanks to Ros for helping me isolate the problem! The issue wasn't in my logic for unlocking the research but that the section of code, where Ion Armor is unlocked, is skipped if the completed research is not a live alien. I had to alter the code to shorten the jump destination.

It's been a pleasure Posted Image Thanks Tycho - You're THE MAN!
One question about new version though. In my playthrough I'm at the beginning of March - so to finally have Ion Armor I should just copy Your updated files or begin a new game?
And last but not least - would it be complicated to add a functionality of increasing or decreasing the in-game music volume? Right now music is very loud and there's no way to change volume. Besides it'd be cool for example to play UFO: Cydonias Fall soundtrack Posted Image There was such possibility in DOS version but I think only in Battlescape.

#447 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostRos, on 06 March 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yes, it works! Thanks Tycho for the tip! I haven't been using Steam version because it's very strange DOS / Collector's Edition hybrid. Instead I've been using CE version downloaded from some abandonware site. Yesterday I've applied TFTDextender on my Steam version and it worked. So I guess it's not that bad anyway Posted Image
From what I understand about the Steam version, you get both the CE and DOS version but the link that steam creates activates DOSBOX and the DOS version only.  I'm not sure if it has been changed now or remains that way.   I know a lot of people wanted a link to get steam credit for playing the CE version, and I think someone on their forums figured out how to do that.

One question about new version though. In my playthrough I'm at the beginning of March - so to finally have Ion Armor I should just copy Your updated files or begin a new game?
There should be no problem with continuing your game but if you've already researched all the prerequisites for Ion Armor, it won't be available until you complete research on something else.

And last but not least - would it be complicated to add a functionality of increasing or decreasing the in-game music volume? Right now music is very loud and there's no way to change volume. Besides it'd be cool for example to play UFO: Cydonias Fall soundtrack Posted Image There was such possibility in DOS version but I think only in Battlescape.
If you mean Mp3 music, it shouldn't be that much trouble to put a volume control on it, as I've already done so in UFO. MIDI music is another issue.  UFO had the problem of the sounds being too loud.  I had to implement BASS for everything to fix that issue.

#448 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostTycho, on 06 March 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

From what I understand about the Steam version, you get both the CE and DOS version but the link that steam creates activates DOSBOX and the DOS version only.  I'm not sure if it has been changed now or remains that way. I know a lot of people wanted a link to get steam credit for playing the CE version, and I think someone on their forums figured out how to do that.

Actually, I've found out it's very simple. All I had to was copy Extender files to my Terror From The Deep Steam directory and run TFTDextender.exe. It works like charm, although I don't have time right now to test it further. Besides I've created backup directory of TFTD Steam directory and I run Extender from there.

There should be no problem with continuing your game but if you've already researched all the prerequisites for Ion Armor, it won't be available until you complete research on something else.

Ok, thanks for the answer. I did quick test and in my current game, after researching Ion-Beam Accelerators, I've finally got Ion Armour (although I've already researched live Deep One). Also in my new, test game everything worked as You described. So thanks again!

If you mean Mp3 music, it shouldn't be that much trouble to put a volume control on it, as I've already done so in UFO. MIDI music is another issue.  UFO had the problem of the sounds being too loud.  I had to make BASS control all the sounds to fix that issue.

Yes, I meant MP3 music. Would it be possible for OGG files (which actually I'm using from some OpenXCOM mod) as well? They have the exactly same names as MP3's.
I've found out that in Steam DOS version "README.txt" it's written as follows:

MUSIC VOLUME
Pressing Plus key '+' or Minus Key '-' anytime whilst playing X-COM: Terror From the Deep will increase or decrease the in-game music volume.
So maybe it'd be a good idea to use those keys?

#449 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

View PostRos, on 06 March 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yes, I meant MP3 music. Would it be possible for OGG files (which actually I'm using from some OpenXCOM mod) as well? They have the exactly same names as MP3's.
I think BASS will play them.  Have you already tried them?

So maybe it'd be a good idea to use those keys?
The game has no internal controls over sounds or music.  Those keys probably control the volume of DOSBOX.

#450 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostTycho, on 07 March 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think BASS will play them.  Have you already tried them?

Yeah, I already have tried them as I prefer OGG Vorbis over MP3. BASS plays them without any problems.

View PostTycho, on 07 March 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

The game has no internal controls over sounds or music.  Those keys probably control the volume of DOSBOX.

I've checked it and they control music volume but only in Battlescape and only in DOS version (it's not a future of DOSBox). As I understand Your post it'd be very hard to implement this function to CE version?

#451 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostRos, on 07 March 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

I've checked it and they control music volume but only in Battlescape and only in DOS version (it's not a future of DOSBox). As I understand Your post it'd be very hard to implement this function to CE version?
I've already done something similar in EU.  It would just require adapting the code for TFTD.

#452 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

The num-pad +/- keys are indeed the midi volume controls for the dos versions of UFO/TFTD. The midi volume should stay the same as you move between the Geoscape and Battlescape though.

Note that it only affects the music, not the ambient audio you hear in TFTD's battlescape.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#453 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostTycho, on 08 March 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

I've already done something similar in EU.  It would just require adapting the code for TFTD.
Glad to hear it, cause it's very useful function. TFTDextender users would be grateful :)

#454 Ros

Ros

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

I'm still getting crashes to desktop during Battlescape missions. Although it's happening a lot rarer than in Beta 9 it's still there. I have a theory though - it might be something with grenades interacting with other objects such as landscape.
I got this problem couple of days ago during USO recovery mission when alien grenade exploded on a sunken galleon wreckage. Also in last mission (Terror Site) when a threw a smoke grenade to cover my soldier from aliens fire. After the end of my turn grenade got off on one of those really small hills. Immediately after that the game crashed with message "application failure". It happened while using last version and when I reverted to 1.0.7.2.
Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot but I've attached my save game file.

EDIT
Another crash couple of minutes ago while I was trying to finish terror mission mentioned above. This time I've managed to capture a screenshot with a crash info, though I don't know if it helps.
TFTDextender 1.0.7.3 Beta 11.jpg

EDIT #2
While setting up production of Ion Armour I've found such a glitch:
TFTD Ion Armour Glitch.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by Ros, 10 March 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#455 slickrcbd

slickrcbd

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

Hi, it's been almost a year with no updates, is this project dead?

Second question, if it is still being worked on, is there any chance of getting a "general store size" mod like UFO Extender has? I kinda liked having less inventory management to worry about by setting the stores to 255 instead of 50 items. I know it was cheating, but it made it more fun than the constant hassle.

#456 Nilex

Nilex

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:34 AM

Five years sure passed quickly since my last post in here. Dang it.

Great to see this project evolved over the time I was away. It is invaluable for us that want to experience the game like it was intended (minus the bugs), but with essential optional quality of life improvements which were all but common in the '90s.

I've read through the whole topic again and checked out the latest version - I very pleased you decided to allow us personal choice about all the things you so diligently worked to implement. Your application of coding skills that you've learned along the way (and with UFOex) really showed when I compared the exe&dll sizes to older ones, hehe. Much more compact compared to before even with more features thrown in.

Of all the new stuff you've put since 1.05p4 I only selected Slow Geoscape Clock, lol. Just can't get myself to change the game too much. Difficult to teach old dog new tricks kind of thingy... I do like the new clock though. Mine also passed 3mins in-game for 1 sec of real-world on slowest speed and I didn't like it, even it was how I remembered it. Now I don't have to endure that feeling of being rushed when making decisions about multiple alien ships in Geoscape.

Since my last post I played for only a week more before I got exhausted of my 4-month long on-and-off playthrough. Game worked flawlessly with my minimalistic [Mod] choices. That Save Equipment was the last on my list that needed fixing! After that week I discovered another UFO game called: UFO Extraterrestrials Gold! I though I was done with hunting aliens in corridors and playing same ol' same ol' rehashed mechanics but that game turned out to be de-facto UFO type standard for me (unlike Xenotards which was a major disappointment). It got me hooked so bad next 2-3 months that I completely forgot about TFTD. And this topic, but that was largely due to my lack of notification understanding.

Hope whoever reads doesn't mind this minor digression of mine. To make up for it I'll leave you a tip. This one is on me:
(I believe most people set this wrong as per ufopedia.org and ExtenderINIref.txt advices)

- To set proper game aspect ratio on a 16:9 monitor change Screen Ratio=1.111111 (D3D only)
(six decimals because I dunno how many are needed but old Seb's loader had 6)
This will get you properly upscaled 320x200 screen and globe will be a perfect sphere.
Formula: X = [your current monitor ratio] / [game screen ratio]
Values in [] are in decimals. "Game screen ratio" should be 16:10 (or 1.6), but you can set it to whatever you wish (eg 4:3).

#457 slickrcbd

slickrcbd

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

Is this project dead?
I was hoping for a few features from the X-com counterpart to be implemented,
First, the General Stores mod, where you can increase the capacity of general stores from 50 up to 255 (or was it 254?).
Second the cheat that lets you see all the aliens on the map or control the aliens.
The second I mostly want for the "Where is that last alien?" scenarios. When I have to search one of the huge maps for that one alien hiding in a closet (often literally, especially on ships) and just wind up wasting lots of time with the boring search.

#458 Nilex

Nilex

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:24 PM

Recently I came back to tie up loose ends of my 2 never completed TFTD playthroughs (one 8 years old now - started at the begging of this topic as witnessed by my cringe inducing posts, the other even older at 14...). Grabbed the latest extender for the first time but it has shown it some outstanding issues still, even with very conservative .ini setup. Manufacture crash when setting exact number of units to produce for example, and many battlescape related crashes occurring on alien turns (sometimes reload and end turn fixed it as they reacted differently). Always when last alien alive panics however. Mostly it's safe to play unless raiding alien colony (1st stage) where it crashes regularly. I carry around extender v1.05p4 and quickly shuffle files around to bypass rough crashes. Pretty playable as far I'm concerned.
I'll forever stick to TFTDextender over OpenXcom only because 2 things: vanilla AI and save compatibility. Although I cheated once and loaded my save in OXC only to marvel at my perfect eyesight as I discovered I placed bases perfectly far away from each other! They sure poshed it up with many other QoL stuff, no question.

@slickrcbd
I like to think Tycho took a well deserved vacation. And then aliens probably abducted him as he was revealing all their secrets. Hope he's OK though. Whenever I revisit this forum I remember the excitement at the beginning and watching new extender develop before our eyes. Probably opposite for Tycho as the only thing he remembers is assembly code and endless stream of bug reports, lol.
I too would like to see the project finished. At least squishing the few remaining bugs, but wouldn't object additional "Where is that last alien?" (and reveal alien bases on gescape) flag. Don't get me started on last alien base raid and one elusive mtf Tentaculat. In the end I resorted to learning XcomUtil just because I heard it can reveal map using VIS flag. The only program I found that managed to end that long misery of mine.

Don't see it happening but extender's latest source code from 2013 (unpatched v1.07) is available in case some freak of nature is willing to continue Tycho's sacred work. Highly wishful thinking on my part, especially with OXC doing almost everything better. One can hope.

Greetings from a fellow Aquanaut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users