#41 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

View Postdarkestaxe, on 04 July 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

In base defence missions TFTD places x-com aquanauts differently from how UFO placed soldiers. TFTD shows no prefference for General Stores or for Living Quarters. It starts in the top right facility tile and uses all of the open spawn points before moving left. Once it reaches the left side it moves down and back to the right side of the base. This continues until all aquanauts are placed. This affects what is /isn't a defenseable starting base layout.

in the following base layout:
[HANGAR --------] [HANGAR --------] [HANGAR --------] <<<--- Aliens in hangars
[lift -----]  <<< ---- Aliens in lift
[stores ] [Qrtrs --] [Lab -----] [shop ] [sonar ---]  <<<---- soldiers start in sonar and workshop.

Solution: Stick the access lift on the other side of the base. Spaced in the txt
[Initial Base]
Apply=0
row1=SubPenTL    SubPenTR    SubPenTL    SubPenTR SubPenTL SubPenTR
row2=SubPenBL    SubPenBR    SubPenBL    SubPenBR SubPenBL SubPenBR
row3=Empty   Empty   Empty   Empty    Empty    AirLock
row4=Empty   Empty   Empty   Empty    LivingQuarters  GeneralStores  
row5=Empty   Empty   Empty   Empty    Workshop Laboratory
row6=Empty   Empty   Empty   Empty    Empty    StdSonar

I finally was able to look into this more. As I understand it, the placement algorithm seems to favor the center of the base in a row of units.  When I reversed the initial optional layout design, which put the airlock and general stores on the opposite side of the base, I still had most of the aquanauts being randomly placed in the same areas.   In addition, the algorithm seems to scatter the aliens even more.  When I reversed the design, I had even more aliens spawning inside the main base.  I think this was done purposefully to make base defense harder on the player.

addendum: A lot of the issues come from how the nodes have been arranged in the base modules. It seems Xcom units tend to favor the sensor and tech modules slightly more than living quarters and storage areas. They did include code that makes the algorithm have a preference for "misc2" nodes.  The problem with alien spawning  is that with the sub pens containing the subs instead of empty space, the number of spawn points is reduced which means that there is more chances of aliens appearing at neutral spawn points inside the base.   I would have to become more familiar with reading the ROUTES.DAT file, but I suspect the problem is there are certain area that have spawn points that heavily favored by the randomizer.  In particular, the living quarters.  In all my various scenarios, it always seemed that there were often at least two aliens spawned in the first level no matter where in the base I located it.

At least testing this, I was also able to determine that the Base Disjoint bug fix is unnecessary and even puts the wrong tiles in the openings. It will be removed from the next version.

Edited by Tycho, 15 July 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#42 localhosed

localhosed

Bio-Drones : saying Fus Ro Dah since '95

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Will we get the same effect by changing the line for base disjoint in the INI as with your removal of it for the next version?
I'm looking forward to a base defense mission in my ongoing game soon.
All geoscape shortcuts seem to work fine.
....Using 'remove background land sound' today and MP3's.

#43 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

View Postlocalhosed, on 14 July 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Will we get the same effect by changing the line for base disjoint in the INI as with your removal of it for the next version?

That's correct.  I also located the code that makes the deep one "spit" instead of shoot normally.  It seems to be leftover code from the celatid. I also found the code that makes the Bio-drone burn the ground as it moves.  It seems to be leftover code from the silacoid.

#44 localhosed

localhosed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

Thanks. I will disable that then and see what happens at the first base defense of the game.
About celatid/deep-one and bio-drone/silacoid  , I probably am not the first person to guess that those were leftovers but I am sure you're the first person to actually find the code. Could those abilities be given to other enemies or units too? Ground burning civilians? Hah.

#45 Kasumimi

Kasumimi

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hello and thanks for your hard work Tycho.

When HQ4x=1 and D3D=1 the hq scaling doesn't work for me. When D3D=0 the HQ works (although the image is blurry but you can see the pixel smoothing clearly).
I must be doing something wrong -_-' any input?

Video Pitch=1
Max FPS=70
HQ4x=1
D3D=1
D3D Windowed=0

These are my settings where scaling isn't functioning. When D3D is set to 0 it works but the games feels much smoother with D3D on :(

#46 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Shouldn't you people keep some of your modding strength for the new XCOM?!

Kidding, I'm just amazed over and over at how inspiring X-COM games still are.

#47 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostKasumimi, on 15 July 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

Hello and thanks for your hard work Tycho.

When HQ4x=1 and D3D=1 the hq scaling doesn't work for me. When D3D=0 the HQ works (although the image is blurry but you can see the pixel smoothing clearly).
I must be doing something wrong -_-' any input?

Video Pitch=1
Max FPS=70
HQ4x=1
D3D=1
D3D Windowed=0

These are my settings where scaling isn't functioning. When D3D is set to 0 it works but the games feels much smoother with D3D on Posted Image
Thanks.  Glad to hear it is helpful.

What OS and video card to you have?  I'm not sure that it matters but, just in case...

#48 localhosed

localhosed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

HQ4x doesn't work for me either with D3D.  For reminder, Im on windows 7 64-bit, AMD Radeon 6850.

#49 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hopefully, this will get the HQ4X working with D3D.  Please try it and let me know.  My system won't support the resolution.

update: Released a new patch. See newer posts in this topic. Thanks for supporting TFTDextender!

Edited by Tycho, 16 July 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#50 localhosed

localhosed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

For me the 1.03p4 patch seems to make HQ4X work fine in both fullscreen and windowed with D3D enabled. That was a fast fix.

Edit : I'm glad you happen to know how to patch this game so well.
I noticed lately that two features that I think are very good about UFOExtender aren't working in TFTDExtender. I don't know if you have a TODO list, or plans for your patching, but those features are save equipment, doubleclick movement.and range based accuracy.

Have you noticed these not working? Anyone else? Save equipment makes the game much less of a hassle especially when you've got lots of troops.

I just stumbled into this from craft combat mechanics : "Also consider that all missiles AND cannons actually travel to their target and have a speed delta that is added on top of the XCraft's. This information is the first four numbers before the weapons' rates of fire in the executable" - Morgan525

Cool.

Another edit : Mp3 music works for me after 8 hours of using. Though I don't mind the fact,  it sometimes seems to stop playing music, maybe it is a side effect of using TFTDExtender or combomod, I don't know. Otherwise it seems fine.

#51 Kasumimi

Kasumimi

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostTycho, on 15 July 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Hopefully, this will get the HQ4X working with D3D.  Please try it and let me know.  My system won't support the resolution.

HQ4X works perfectly now. You are amazing - fast response and fast fix too.
Thank you very much sir, glad we have people like you improving Xcom games in 2012 :)

#52 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

View Postlocalhosed, on 15 July 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

For me the 1.03p4 patch seems to make HQ4X work fine in both fullscreen and windowed with D3D enabled. That was a fast fix.  Edit : I'm glad you happen to know how to patch this game so well.

I noticed lately that two features that I think are very good about UFOExtender aren't working in TFTDExtender. I don't know if you have a TODO list, or plans for your patching, but those features are save equipment, doubleclick movement.and range based accuracy.

Have you noticed these not working? Anyone else? Save equipment makes the game much less of a hassle especially when you've got lots of troops.

I think I've got saved equipment and doubleclick movement working.  I checked into ranged based accuracy.  I changed a slight formatting issue but I don't think that was a problem.  I verified that it works for me.

Here is the patch that should at least take care of the equipment and movement:

Update: New patched released. See newer entries in this topic. Thanks for supporting TFTDextender!

Edited by Tycho, 16 July 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#53 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

View PostKasumimi, on 15 July 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

HQ4X works perfectly now. You are amazing - fast response and fast fix too.
Thank you very much sir, glad we have people like you improving Xcom games in 2012 Posted Image

I follow the M. Scott theory to being a "miracle worker".  Posted Image

Actually, a lot of these are side-effects that Kryub or I have introduced with some of the conversion to TFTD or rearrangements to the way the various mod are being loaded.

#54 Kasumimi

Kasumimi

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:52 AM

The last update works fine in terms of equipment saving and double click movement too.

There is something strange that I noticed though. For some reason there are no reaction fire in the game.
I tested this extensively after playing a terror mission. Neither my agents nor the aliens react to enemy movement.

More Reaction Fire is set to 0 for me, I tested it with value of 1 and the result is the same.

#55 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

After much reinventing of the wheel..I finally realized that the problem I initially had with this mod, which I though I had fixed, somehow had been undone.   Any any case, this should make underwater weapons behave properly.
Talk about a really frustrating episode for me..

update: New patch is available. Please see new entries in this topic.  Thanks for supporting TFTDextender!

#56 Kasumimi

Kasumimi

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Again, fast response and fix. Those Gilmen aren't free kills anymore -_-'

Arigato :>

#57 Kasumimi

Kasumimi

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hmmm it seems saved equipment isn't working after all >_> (double click working fine though).

On a side note, the game doesn't seem to recognize the PSX CD in order to play the music. The MP3s work fine.

Edit: Sorry I don't want to spam you with requests. The game is fantastically playable as it is right now and your work is greatly appreciated.

#58 Nilex

Nilex

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hello again after couple pages,

Tycho, I found a little bug that is specific to extender because it includes a feature that isn't available in plain exe. I have Triton-1 in base 1 and Triton-2 in base 2. When i click to equip triton-2 and then on crew i have the option to reorder crew in craft and to click on their names to check their stats for my convenience. So far so good, those are both features of the extender. Problem is when i click aquanauts name and then try to scroll trough the soldiers list only in triton-2. As soon as i click either << or >> the list changes to soldiers list from triton-1 and stays there. I think it's meant to go only trough triton-2 list, conveniently allowing you to quickly reorder the guys based on their stats Posted Image (and if i recall it was like that in Enemy Unknown extender)
I'll attach a savegame again so you can quickly test it as bases and tritions are on stand-by Posted Image

And the problem of crashing when about to enter the tactical battle didn't appear again (30 missions so far). Btw, that glitch from my first post almost made me stop playing, halting my UFO series who knows how long Posted Image Thank you so much for helping me first time - no way i would know it only the matter of reloading before game creates crash site Posted Image

Also can i ask do you take small requests to improve some small things? I'm asking cause i wouldn't want to delay or derail your humble work. I'm not demanding at all Posted Image. No really Posted Image
For example i reaaaally wished that you make the Skip Intro work and boy was i glad when i tested patch6 Posted Image

Thanks again man for your work! You know, i started playing new Deus Ex: HR  (only good AAA game since half-life 1 i say) for the second time just before i started TFTD and after u helped me i hardly ran Deus again. You can't beat old DOS classic + the marvelous work to make it better in 2012 :)

#59 localhosed

localhosed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

I thought I had noticed 'some sort of difference' with reaction fire also, but kept testing since I thought it might have been just a long string of bad luck!
But I have not seen reaction fire (only from my troops) in a long time and was playing with more reaction fire=1, all throughout the week, many hours. But what complicated things is that I was using mostly weapons with only aimed shot (which don't work for reaction fire), but I am glad the bug was found.

These new developments are really exciting, thanks Tycho, I will use 1.03p6 today.

What was the error with underwater weapons on land=1 ? I ask in case I might notice it later.
Edit 1:
I haven't used 1.03p6 just yet but I noticed that in my game, I wasn't able to get Ion Armor available,  I guess because I made the mistake of researching Deep One Terrorist before I had Ion Beam accelerators researched (and/or maybe available also?)., Deep One terrorist is repeatable in my setup, I didn't edit that in (don't know how to edit exe related research stuff yet)., but repeating it after I had MagNav/IonBeam done did not give me access to Ion Armor (I have Plastic Aqua armor, deep one terrorist and ion beam accelerators)
Is it only me under these circumstances?

...So I edited my research.dat and enabled Ion Armor and can research it. It is record #61, like EU's power armor, listed on ufopaedia.org .
Edit 2 :
I confirm that I had coelacanth/gauss available after I finished researching Gauss Cannon craft weapon and before Gauss Defenses.

#60 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostNilex, on 16 July 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

Tycho, I found a little bug that is specific to extender because it includes a feature that isn't available in plain exe. I have Triton-1 in base 1 and Triton-2 in base 2. When i click to equip triton-2 and then on crew i have the option to reorder crew in craft and to click on their names to check their stats for my convenience. So far so good, those are both features of the extender. Problem is when i click aquanauts name and then try to scroll trough the soldiers list only in triton-2. As soon as i click either << or >> the list changes to soldiers list from triton-1 and stays there. I think it's meant to go only trough triton-2 list, conveniently allowing you to quickly reorder the guys based on their stats Posted Image (and if i recall it was like that in Enemy Unknown extender)
I'll attach a savegame again so you can quickly test it as bases and tritions are on stand-by Posted Image

And the problem of crashing when about to enter the tactical battle didn't appear again (30 missions so far). Btw, that glitch from my first post almost made me stop playing, halting my UFO series who knows how long Posted Image Thank you so much for helping me first time - no way i would know it only the matter of reloading before game creates crash site Posted Image

For example i reaaaally wished that you make the Skip Intro work and boy was i glad when i tested patch6 Posted Image
I glad its turning out so well, despite all the small issues.  I can imagine how bad I would feel about a game kept crashing on my first mission!  ugh!Posted Image  I'm happy to know it was just a bizarre occurance.   About the issue with the tritons, just to clarify things: The problem is not with rearranging the soldiers in the craft, correct?  the problem is only when you want to view the stats of the soldier by clicking on their name and then clicking either the left or right button to get to the next soldier...  if that is the case, I'll look into it at some point.  (I don't think I've ever tried that in any game.)

I didn't quite understand... Does "skip intro" work for you?

I'm actually amazed at how much I have been able to do, considering that I didn't understand anything about disassembly or coding with it until about 7 months ago. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users