Happy to return to S2 after so many years + a question...

Vapor

Hello!

What an amazing coincidence that just as I rekindled interest in playing SS again GOG has released a 64 bit compatible and DRM free version, which I can confirm works perfectly with win7 64. Happy day! Would have had to jump through some annoying hoops to get my cd version working.

My question about the mod Difficulty Grade Changes involves how to remove it's inclusion of Headshots Should Kill. HSSK is great in theory, but, IME, the actual effect is to make aimed headshots almost impossible to make, while also lowering the % of all aimed shots. Really defeats the whole notion! Can't fathom why the creator of DGC included HSSK as it is a vanilla optional mod. Everything else about DGC is excellent though.

I understand the method for creating .db files is problematic on win7... unfortunately that is all I have access to. So I suppose my question is a request for a version of DGC without HSSK enabled. I've searched around unsuccessfully. If there's a way to do this myself I welcome and advice/info.

I understand the method for creating .db files is problematic on win7... unfortunately that is all I have access to. So I suppose my question is a request for a version of DGC without HSSK enabled. I've searched around unsuccessfully. If there's a way to do this myself I welcome and advice/info.

Hi, Vapor. I don't know much about DGC, but if you are interested in modding it is quite possible on Win 7. I have a 64bit version of the OS and both Sentinels and H&S editors work just fine. Instead of MSDE (SQL server) you'd need the free 2005 MSSQL Express from Miscrosoft to do the trick.

~Blunter~

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm trying to figure out where the editor is in the GOG installation. No sign of MapEdit.exe anywhere, though the Editor_EULA.rtf is there. There was no option to install/not install the editor during game installation...dntknw.gif

Awaiting help on the GOG forums.

• 1 month later...
Right now I'm trying to figure out where the editor is in the GOG installation. No sign of MapEdit.exe anywhere, though the Editor_EULA.rtf is there. There was no option to install/not install the editor during game installation...dntknw.gif

I don't have the GOG version (just the Gold version), but MapEdit is found in the C:\Program Files\JoWooD\Silent Storm folder (assuming a normal install). Sometimes the online sites which offer games for download stuff files in their own directory instead of the game directory. Is there a "Good Old Games" folder on your computer anywhere? I'd start the search there. If not, then I don't know what else to say except GOG might not have included the map editor. I'm pretty sure the map editor was released in later versions of the game, so maybe GOG has an earlier version for download. Or maybe they didn't want to include it due to size (it's pretty big at 8+ MB). ;)

My guess is that since you have an Editor EULA file, that the editor should be a part of the installation. If you didn't get an option to install the editor during installation, the install program is to blame.rolleyes.gif

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the editor is not included in the GOG install. I haven`t seen any clarification from a GOG rep in this thread but the likely reason is confusion re compatibility issues with newer Windows. Strange that they left the EULA in...

I do own the original NA disk version so perhaps I`ll give that a shot sometime. I`ve gotten distracted though!teehee.gif