XCOM: Enemy Unknown voted best strategy game at E3 by Gamespy

Hobbes

The relevant bit:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Best Strategy Game

Developer: Firaxis Games

Publisher: 2K Games

The competition in this category was stiff, with both the shiny SimCity and the proven Company of Heroes 2 making strong cases... but the return of turn-based XCOM is an event almost 20 years in the making, and the new aliens and advanced technologies we saw here at E3 gave us even more reasons to look forward to repelling this October's invasion. It's not just nostalgia powering this pick, either -- Friaxis' XCOM revival has even generated a ton of buzz among gamers who've never fired a Blaster Bomb Launcher at a Muton (including our console-gamer friends). We're hugely excited about turn-based strategy and tactics coming back into the spotlight, and that a classic PC franchise finally is getting its due with a fantastic-looking update.

It's great to see the expectation for XCOM:EU has beaten even that of Company of Heroes 2, a decent but pretty much the only competitor out there. SimCity's strategy as well, but it'd be extremely hard to even compare the two. They're so different in almost every regard.

I agree with FA. There is little known about CoH2 and I think it will be amazing too. Now if it was compared with Xenonauts it would be different (or UFO:ET2). Also I am wondering - SimCity as strategy? Ok I now that there is strategy involved there but then you can tell that every sim game is strategy...

SimCity is definitely a strategy game. Sure, it has nothing to do with war, but still, strategy games needn't be wargames. SimCity's simulationist nature doesn't interfere with its generic definition.

And yeah, no game can be considered "proven" before it comes out. There's a little bias there. tongue.png