Looking for modding tips

Zetsubou

Hey guys,

Ive been modding Fallout NV for several years now and decided to give UFO: AS modding a shot. Its a bit obvious Im late to the party, but hey I love this game, but think it needs alotta work. Before I go any further, could someone give me some tips on where to start? Heres what i wish to do

I'll be wanting to add new custom armor models and guns. These models will come from my own collection of stuff Ive modeled over the years. Got lots of stuff, some is just a bit high poly (20k-60k polys). Im fine with making them simple replacers smile.png

Additionally I wish to create new maps, as Im truly sick of the current ones lol. That was one of the main reasons I stopped playing was because of the bland maps. I want to add new buildings/landscape pieces to them, just make them more interesting, perhaps more lively with random civilians fleeing/gang battles.

I would also like to change the voices and character portraits of your soldiers as the current ones feel rather bland, and change the battlescape music.

Changing the mission types is a must aswell. I absolutely dreaded those missions where you had to search through crashed alien ships, found this extremely tedious.

Lastly I would like to use some of the animations from various enemies for new unit types, like we do In Fallout NV(import original creature, a .nif>remove its mesh>import new, custom mesh >add skin to new mesh>add new skin to original creatures bones> a new unit type is born grin.gif). We do this because its basicially impossible to import custom animations into fallout, so the only way to make new units, like a pilotable mecha for example, is to hijack an existing creatures bones from its .nif and use its existing animation files of a supermutant for example.

I can't help you, but a lover of AS is always welcome.

I always play vanilia AS, for I perfected the French localisation (it was greatly needed!).

https://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?20106-French-UFO-Aftershock

I'm never bored for now.

Maybe one day I'll translate ACM too and play this good mod. You should try it:

https://www.strategyc...ufo-aftershock/

Interesting. Ive played AMC and its pretty good. Though it could use some tweaks, and ditch some of the tedious maps.

Hmm it appears that everyone with UFO modding experience has truly moved on. Drat, woulda been nice to bounce some ideas off em.