Files Section

Pete

I've just rolled out the new files section which rids me completely of one program that I've had to maintain for years and have been meaning to do away with for a long time :)

It's had some testing, but there will doubtless be the odd error here and there and I do have several improvements in mind already.

All old links will either redirect automatically to their new location or, in the case of a very few files I removed from the new system, will simply redirect to the root files page.

As noted here, comments for files will be handled in a special forum and allow the possibility for file authors to more easily keep track of comments regarding their work.

At present, only Thorondor and I can add/edit files, but this will change over the coming weeks as I add more functionality to the system. In the meantime, file authors can contact me with their updates and I'll happily do them for you.

If anyone has any questions, please ask away!

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a BIG request/plea:

Last year when bomb_bloke added the TFTD Extender to the files section, he did something that linked the file information to the initial post of the TFTD Extender's topic. However, this is a problem in that the file section uses HTML and the topics do not, so there is a problem of format in the forum post. Zombie was kind enought to grant me special persmissions that allowed me to edit using HTML to fix this. This worked for a time but now it apparent that something will cause the two to be synched again and the information in the forums section gets reverted back to the information from the file section. Since no one but an admin can make changes to the files section and they are either very busy or no longer active, can someone undo whatever BB did, so that I can keep the forum topic updated without fear of losing all changes? PLEASE!!?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll look into this right away. There is a field to link the topic to the extender comments/description, but I'm not sure why that suddenly isn't working.

Edit: Pete recently updated the CMS software (which controls the site and the files) as it was out of date. Apparently the only change was new colors in the admin area, but maybe something didn't carry over correctly. From what I see, the forum topic number field is correct, and the first post in the TFTD Extender topic and files description match each other. I performed a dummy edit on the file page so maybe that'll work. If that doesn't, try deleting your cookies and tapping CTRL+F5 on the page a few times so that you have a current copy of the page and not a cached version. Then try editing the topic post again.

If none of that works, then we may have to resort to manual admin editing in the files section so the description will pass to the forums properly. It could be that the pipeline that links the files to the forums is only a one-way-street - for example, edits made through the files section will pass through and update the forum post, but not the other way around. If that's the case, then we'll have to contact the CMS devs to see if something is broken on their end. wink.png

- Zombie

I'll look into this right away. There is a field to link the topic to the extender comments/description, but I'm not sure why that suddenly isn't working.

Edit: Pete recently updated the CMS software (which controls the site and the files) as it was out of date. Apparently the only change was new colors in the admin area, but maybe something didn't carry over correctly. From what I see, the forum topic number field is correct, and the first post in the TFTD Extender topic and files description match each other. I performed a dummy edit on the file page so maybe that'll work. If that doesn't, try deleting your cookies and tapping CTRL+F5 on the page a few times so that you have a current copy of the page and not a cached version. Then try editing the topic post again.

If none of that works, then we may have to resort to manual admin editing in the files section so the description will pass to the forums properly. It could be that the pipeline that links the files to the forums is only a one-way-street - for example, edits made through the files section will pass through and update the forum post, but not the other way around. If that's the case, then we'll have to contact the CMS devs to see if something is broken on their end. wink.png

- Zombie

Zombie, the issue is that I don't want the comments section of the file linked to the forum. The files section information is out-of-date and since no one has the free time to update the files section (since I have made several requests to different people with no action taken by anyone), I've restorted to using the initial post in the forum as the go-to for the latest files, features, and information. After I became able to edit HTML, it was manageable until something re-synched that post back to the files section information and undoing EVERYTHING I changed. The trouble with the two being linked is just too much.

Zombie, the issue is that I don't want the comments section of the file linked to the forum. The files section information is out-of-date and since no one has the free time to update the files section (since I have made several requests to different people with no action taken by anyone), I've restorted to using the initial post in the forum as the go-to for the latest files, features, and information. After I became able to edit HTML, it was manageable until something re-synched that post back to the files section information and undoing EVERYTHING I changed. The trouble with the two being linked is just too much.

I tried deleting the forum topic number from the field just now (to hopefully de-link the existing TFTD Extender topic from the files section comments), but it just creates another topic in the files area in the forums. It doesn't really fix anything, just recreates the same old problem. wallbash.gif Not sure if there is a way around this at all. So, sorry. :(

Did you contact me regarding updating the file page? If you did, and I didn't do anything, then again, I'm sorry about that. I had some nasty RL issues which cropped up this year. None of them prevented me from doing any work on the site, but I just didn't feel like it. Now that these problems are gone, I'm trying to be more active around the site again. If you need something done, send me a PM or post in this forum or the Your Views forum and I'll try my best to get it done. whistling.gif

- Zombie

I tried deleting the forum topic number from the field just now (to hopefully de-link the existing TFTD Extender topic from the files section comments), but it just creates another topic in the files area in the forums. It doesn't really fix anything, just recreates the same old problem. wallbash.gif Not sure if there is a way around this at all. So, sorry. :(

Did you contact me regarding updating the file page? If you did, and I didn't do anything, then again, I'm sorry about that. I had some nasty RL issues which cropped up this year. None of them prevented me from doing any work on the site, but I just didn't feel like it. Now that these problems are gone, I'm trying to be more active around the site again. If you need something done, send me a PM or post in this forum or the Your Views forum and I'll try my best to get it done. whistling.gif

- Zombie

Well, whatever you did, it seems to have worked. I can edit the topic without using HMTL code and so far the changes have stuck. It's been over a day now. Thanks Zombie!

Well, whatever you did, it seems to have worked. I can edit the topic without using HMTL code and so far the changes have stuck. It's been over a day now. Thanks Zombie!

Super! Glad it worked for you! Hopefully It'll stay that way. sweat.gif

- Zombie