What is that?

dwilkie

OK, I'm in week 3 and I just got called to an alert, and the attackers were nearly all anthropods. None of them got a shot off because my agents were all carrying akimbo disruptors and cut them down as soon as they appeared (thats 8 disruptors in my 4 man team :) ) but, having returned to base, I have an alien artifact to research. It's description says "Alien Beam Weapon" and it looks like its a shoulder launched weapon. Its going to take me ages to research it, so I want to know now, what is it? Is it the much vaunted Heavy Disruptor? :angel:

Does it look like a large maroon thingy with a pig snout-like tube (the business end, you'll see it in the ufopaedia entry once it's done) and is a bit hairy on the other end?

That'll be the Devastator. The disrupter gun's big brother.

- NKF

Isn't that the whole point though? You do the research and then plough through the enemy :)

Dimension missiles do rock though... unfortunately they cut through most armour and shielding pretty well too... which is why I use two shields for the cumulative effect :)

Yea the only better gun is the Toxi-Gun.

I would not say that the Toxi-Gun is better, it's quite different. Both weapons have advantages and disadvantages. As said before the Toxi-Gun is able to shoot through energy shields, but the Devastator is much more accurate. Therefore my guys carry both weapons and use them for different situations. The Devastator is for aliens without shield (from the start or after removing the shields by controlling them) and the Toxi-Gun is for all other aliens. I do it this way because I try to spare ammo. Furthermore the damage made by A- and B-Toxin is not higher than the damage of the Devastator.

Inanna

I generally try to mix up the Devastators and Toxiguns. Let's face it, the toxigun rate of fire is boardering on insanity. :) Besides, I like the Devastator beam... ZAP ZAP! Who cares if it's ugly like a wart on a wart on a wart? :)

No offence to people of above condition. :argh:

• 2 weeks later...
*chuckles* i've done that before. it was when i was making the transition from tb to rt... i was used to using auto fire for toxi guns.... and ran out of ammo like that *snaps fingers* i tend to use them on aimed now. makes em more accurate and stops them guzzling ammo.