Unfortunately, in the process I learned that there was much that couldn't be acheived without a fair bit of executable editing, a technique I still haven't put any effort into learning. However! kryub noticed my progress, and offered to assist with such tweaks as were required.
And within a few weeks he'd solved most of my problems... Though that was probably about a year ago now. Since then I've been occasionally polishing the thing, and although it's still not "perfect", if I aim for perfection then I'll never be releasing it. I would say it's fully playable at least, and that's pretty good. So here's a beta!
- Polygon count on the geoscape globe has been upped considerably.
- No more "no interception over land" messages.
- No limitations as to what equipment works on land (as you'll be spending a fair bit more time there!)
- Region maps and alien flight zones have been pretty much entirely rebuilt, they'll now go for a full-globe invasion!
And of course, thanks to anyone who ever contributed to the UFOpedia wiki. There's too many of you to track.
Battlefield generation has also been improved considerably - you may now play ANY mission either on land or at sea, and the overhead map is also fully functional. Of course, most issues listed on the old alpha forum thread have been resolved.
You need a copy of UFO:EU, and a copy of the CE (Windows) release of TFTD. Yep, DOS support has been dropped. Nope, there's next to no chance I'll be adding it back in.
- Backup your copy of TFTD. Once ComboMod is installed, you won't be able to revert the changes otherwise.
- Install Java if you somehow still lack it.
- Extract my toolkit directly into your TFTD folder.
- Take a look in the bb_tact\ComboMod folder, and run "ComboInstaller.bat". It'll ask you for the path to your UFO:EU installation, then churn away for a bit. If you have extracted Dawn City to a folder separate to your game folder, you can optionally specify that path too, allowing you to import that set in addition to the vanilla Urban maps.
- Extract TFTD Extender to your game folder. (Previous users: This was optional, but now is required.)
ComboMod needs (or at least I think it needs) and will automatically enforce the following settings:
All Items Usable On Land=1
Underwater Weapons In Air=1
Remove Background Land Sound=1
Block Intercept Over Land Message=1
Block Mission Too Deep Message=1
- If you wish to use XcomUtil, extract it into your game folder.
- XcomUtil currently does not support TFTD Extender, but if you do wish to try using them together, extract this extra patch into your game folder (Note: currently that patch expects the TFTD Extender launcher to be called "TFTDLoader.exe". You may need to rename it. Without XcomUtil you can use either title).
Either way, XCU users will then need to run XCUSetup.bat. Make sure to leave its "Battle Field and Terrain" features OFF, and be sure to enable the ComboMod addon when prompted!
Extract the fresh version of my toolkit, restore your backed up game EXE, re-run the installation program.
- The survey ship isn't loaded properly during battles, resulting in a weird "invisible" ship. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is caused by XcomUtil's EXE splitting code (which I blatantly stole for my own mods - all credit to Scott!).
- An issue which is definitely caused by the EXE splitting code is that you'll get a "crash" message every time you start/end a mission. Just hit the "close" button and gameplay will continue as per normal.
- I've got a suspicion terrain detection may be a bit screwy around the poles.
- The lakes don't match the land when zooming in on the geoscape.
- The terrain generator doesn't have the same chances of spawning certain map modules as the original games have... 'cause I don't know the odds. Anyone care to pull them from the EXEs for me?
Update 1 (23/07/2012):
- Added RMP files for two MU maps the game doesn't include.
- Removed the majority of the direct executable tweaks in favour of TFTD Extender.
- BBMod now incorporated.
- Can now load in Dawn City in addition to (as opposed to "instead of") the vanilla Urban maps.