How to use dynamite.

octarine

I've just come across my first mission where i need to blow something up.

The only equipment I have capable of blowing things up is dynamite, but I can't figure out how to use it.

My guy has the dynamite in hand. The mouse cursor doesn't change like it does for using medical kits. There is a "use" icon to the left of his portrait, but clicking that seems to do nothing.

How do I use it?

1. Click use icon.

2. Click on desired location.

3. Place dynamite

4. Run for it.

I use the dynamite always on the first scripted encounter with beastmen. If correctly placed and timed I can rack up plenty of kills and sometimes gain 2 levels.

Also you can destroy anything with normal guns - it will just take longer. Anything that is destructible.

• 5 months later...

Dynamite is a timed mine, not a grenade. You can throw grenades, yes, and assault grenades are great for that, but dynamite is a box you have to set up on the ground.

If you don't have run yet, send your whole crew to the location, plant the dynamite with whoever has it (use, right-click ground beside target, must be ground you can walk to), then have them all evacuate, far. Once you get run, it's easier to keep your crew apart (they don't need run, just the person planting it), to keep the enemies further back from your tech, then have the tech run off. Keeps you safe in case anything pops up on them; the technician can quickly run up, plant the box, and run away before most enemies realize she's there.

If you are having trouble using dynamite, or grenades, or rockets, just use projectiles (NOT lasers!) and attack the 'ground' where the object is, it takes a lot of fire, but you can render it to a pile of scrap with enough bullets.

However, I do highly suggest learning to be a professional with dynamite: You can install it at chokepoints when your sniper/scout spots the enemy coming through, get back, and watch it decimate them. Some pros will even kill off the entire first group of beastmen during the portal incident with well timed dynamite, but I've only managed to kill about half of them myself.

• 3 years later...

1st note: Explosion seems to destroy guns and ammo. The initial boom to disable target making them drop weapons are fine, but subsequent one seems to destroy items on the ground.

Dynamite seems to to affect planes, not cubic space. In Excavator's Hyperspace Gate, if the crawlers move to the initial cliff, and we set the dynamite on top, while they are at bottom, they wont get damaged. Or more extreme, the Mech guarding the excavation's energy device. Set the explosive on the ground wont affect it, must be on the step that contain the device. On another hand, in another mission, TNT set at the top of stair affect the beastmen moving on the sloping ladder just fine... I dont get it~

Explosive can damage/kill Nature Forces. I killed one in a robot mission (not beastmen yet) but it seem to not register as research topic. Must be on the beastmen. (I finish 1st beast men mission later, not meeting any NF but the research topic appear). A great way to cause damage (equal xp).

I dont think surveyor affect dynamite. Pauline doesnt do any different than Harald, I dont think.

Although a runner will have advantage, in and out out of hostile fire faster. This is my main method to ammo conservation: Harald run like a ferret on sugar rush, setting the TNT on route of enemies that detecting him, then run away. If need be, Samantha from far away can fire on enemy that moving, which seem to incite them to stand and return fire, which position them nicely at the location.

Final note: currently, at the beginning, dynamite is a valid tactic, though expensive. The twins level up solely due to dynamite runs. With good timing, even level 1,2 can do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

A good tactic of catching fast units moving down a straight line (like a cliff, or corridor) is putting TNT ahead, but contact mine way back. So that if they move too fast for the timer, they still catch the mine and detonate TNTs. Even if they move too fast and outside of the contact mine's range, when it belatedly detonate, it will trigger any explosive in range, ensure hostiles still catch it.

This is enemy's advance direction>>

------------------------------------------------------

TNT Contact mine TNT

With Contact mine(s) at chokepoint where they have to go through. This will make sure spiders get it for certain.

So your inventory should contain two types, timeds and contacts, just so you can have flexibility in design your traps.

Note that the cover might block off explosions, so mind where you put explosives. E.g: in maps with some barrels as cover on map, if you put explosives on one side, and move on the other side of those barrels, the TNT might not catch you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TNT ........ Contact mine ........ TNT

........ ........

........ ........ Cover or obstacle ........ ........ ........

........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ..

The cover or obstacle may block part or all blast of the contactmine, but cant block the TNT simultanously detonated.

• 4 weeks later...

Fast moving targets like Matriarchs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contactmine

..................Contactmine

....................................Contactmine (if the route is bigger than 2 tiles)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically you must make sure every tile of the width of the route is cover by contacts, with increase radius, so that even a fast runner like Matriarch will get caught by the belated detonation of the OTHER mines instead of the triggered mine, forcing a trip/fall.

Big moving targets like Spider

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contactmine

Contactmine

Contactmine (if the route is bigger than 2 tiles)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are generally slow so would get hit once mines are triggered. So the priority is to make sure that they get hit by as many blast as you can. So you can just line them up neatly and wait for fire works.

Supplemented with TNT

As long as the TNT is within 3-4 tiles of a mine blast, it will get detonated and add its own destruction to the site. Of course, it will self detonate after 15 sec and clean them up anyway, so beware about combine TNT with other types.

Note: mines on target's inventory or hands will get simultanously detonate with the trap.

Note: at the final fight, I record 700+ TNT used up, with 300+ in total of contactmine+Ret+Beastman. Even the final fight see the use of TNT and human contact mine.

FINAL note: TNT is the weapon of choice for Impossible difficulty, as it bring more bang for production time compared to other weapons.