Endless Space Preview

Azrael Strife

Endless Space

Azrael Strife gazes into Endless Space, the 4X game in development from Amplitude Studios, and finds common ground with genre-defining games by in an attractive new package.

Click here to read the full article.

Thank you, AS! Great preview! The hands-off space battles approach reads just ideal for a grand strategy, I don't want to lead the ships by hand, make each roll over and such. Fleet actions are as far as an admiral handles it and this is the most I'm comfortable with.

Indeed, a problem we often find in 4X game is how time consuming and boring the micromanagement of large battles, not to mention colony management when you're empire is too big, this game is so far striking a good balance between micro and macro.

I've read more about this on other sites and I'm having to restrain myself from buying it as I can see my free time going out of the window but I'm on the verge of giving in and buying my first new game since Portal2 ;)

A common mistake I'm seeing people make when commenting on articles about the game is "those are nice cutscenes, but what do the battles really look like?" when they are, in fact, the battles.

For a mere £20 I might just get the fancy edition to show support more than anything. I'm not even sure I'd use my votes on the design but for £20 and so many comparisons to Master of Orion the game is right up my alley.

(Hang on, I also bought Revenge of the Titans, so this would be my first full-price game purchase, and even at this price it's a bargain).

I've been waiting for a good 4X space game since 'Ascendancy'. I had hopes for 'Birth of the Federation' but that never really got finished.

I hope ES is setup to run on multiple cpu's. These 4x games always slow down to nothing towards the end of the game.

This is the most promising one I've seen in a long, long time. I was tempted to pre-order but 'summer' is a little too vague.

That's what put me off SotS to be honest, it's more detailed and I don't have the attention span for it. And the interface - I know, it's not all about looking pretty but it put me off as well tongue.png

I'd completely forgotten about Birth of the Federation - I had fun with that one but it just wasn't as replayable as MoO.

EDIT: Okay, I just bought Endless Space. Downloading now smile.png

EDIT2: Downloaded and going through the tutorial screens. I've not even done anything yet but this game is gorgeous and the interface is simple but amazing (simply amazing).

Sure thing. The interface is so smooth I might record bits of it with FRAPS, but no promises. That said, I think the interface is smooth because I'm comparing it to MoO2, so I'm sure other games in the genre have looked nice since then too wink.png

Az - your article has had over a thousand views in 3 days. That's a new record and I think testament to how interested people are in this game smile.png

I have a q, too! As far as I went through the listed features of versions, I saw no gameplay reason to get the upped versions, just "honorary" ones. These mean very little to me, so I was thinking about getting the normal version. Have I missed something or would that be correct?

They literally just give you votes to spend on the remaining development.

I went with Emperor edition because to me it was still quite cheap with the 20% discount but I understand not everyone wants to part with more money for the same game (it is a bit nuts if you're never going to use your votes).

I think Emperor edition gives you access to a unique hero character too - one of the Endless species who the game is named after, which is also why I love the title of the game; not only is space endless, but you're playing in Endless space.

I think the small galaxy size I've picked for my first game is a bit too small though - I've already bumped into 2 other races, one with a rubbish firefight (scout ships do so little damage at the start that it was a draw, but very pretty :)).

I went with Emperor edition because to me it was still quite cheap with the 20% discount but I understand not everyone wants to part with more money for the same game (it is a bit nuts if you're never going to use your votes).

Gift me :P