Revenge of the Titans Co-op anyone?

Pete

Revenge of the Titans  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a co-op mode in Revenge of the Titans

• Yes, defending against the titan onslaught with a friend would be awesome!
    • No, I don't feel that that would add much to the experience.
    • I have another suggestion (please specify).

As you may remember, Charlie wrote a great review for Revenge of the Titans a while ago.

One of the things she mentioned she would like to see in the game is a co-op mode.

princec - one of the fine chaps from Puppygames who made the game - then commented that:

If we got enough interest we might see about making a co-op expansion for Revenge.

So - if you've played the game, then please vote. If you haven't, then I'd recommend it as it's quite fun and challenging (well, to me at least - your mileage may vary!).

I'm not sure if it would be enjoyable. The game would have to expand, or change considerably, I think. Otherwise, as it is now, you place your towers, defend, and you're done. As long as one player doesn't hog all the resources (you should share a pool of stuff, otherwise you're just playing alongside each other, and it's great fuel for arguments) you're okay. I think you'd have to divide the responsibilities, with one player being given half of the unit types, and one player the other half, so one handles airborne threats and resource collection, the other player places the big guns and shields, etc.

It could work really well, but getting that division whereby you're reliant on each other yet not just duplicating actions is going to be murder.

Normal people don't play games they are not good at grin.gif

That's completely untrue. I'd say most people play games they are not good at, constantly, it's whether you enjoy them or not what's determinant. I play a lot of games I suck at, because I have fun at them. A game is to have fun and relax, and I play them to relax, not to compete with anyone, so it doesn't really matter if I suck or not.

A Revenge of the Titans in coop, I don't see how that would work.

The way I see it working is similar to how StarCraft II multiplayer works. When I play that with my brother we're both on te same team, usually as humans and usually against Zerg.

A lot of the maps use terrain to make it difficult to defend unless you work together, so with some suitably scripted AI resulting in some unpredictable Titan attacks you could have similar amounts of fun.

The most frustrating moments in SC2 multiplayer like this are when you're helping your teammate out and forget to keep an eye on your other flank. The most rewarding are when you get it right and succeed.

As such, I'd love to see multiplayer co-op maps designed specifically for 2 players, but have a series of maps so that it's an ongoing storyline. Perhaps give out certain tech as the co-op campaign progresses (you'll never agree what is the best thing to research anyway) and keep it frantic :)

One way I imagine it could made to work is perhaps rather unconventional: one player takes care of structure placement while the other has control of units such as tanks and droids.

That way one would mind things at the strategic level, supporting the other with structures in a little more proactive stance than just straight-out defence (think unit-enhancing drops/ammo supply, etc), and the other would be engaged at a more tactical level, directly controlling units in an arcadey or RTS-lite fashion, striking where the most danger to the other's vital structures is. Should work, and could be fun. smile.png

Maps and waves would likely have to be customised to play to the strenghts of this sort of 'functional' co-operation of course.

Otherwise - sticking with just the vanilla TD mechanics thing - I think it might well not generate enough interest for people to come back to the game, pay for the DLC, etc.

::

Just my .02

I've just opened up this forum to guest posts, so if anyone without an account would like to comment then please feel free to let us know what you think :)

Unfortunately the software doesn't allow for guests to vote in polls, but I suspect that's by design as one person could then vote multiple times from different locations and skew the votes.

I've just opened up this forum to guest posts,

What about the news section, our poor lurkers!

Your bog standard TD game isn't going to work in co-op. Something with a little more activity to it could be brilliant (see Anomaly: Warzone Earth) with one player controlling resources, artillery, power-ups, air strikes etc, and one chap controlling the ground forces. Hey, that would be ace actually, you're replicating that kind of situation where the CO on site is calling for reinforcements, fire support, etc and the chap back at base is acting on it.

IDEA COPYRIGHTED.

Phew that saved me registering for yet another forum!

So yeah... would love to figure out a co-op mode for Revenge. As it happens the game is reasonably well set up design-wise for it: there is provision in the code, almost accidentally, to have multiple bases, and the gidrah brains already take them into account. I envisage a co-op mode simply being a case of having a base for each player and more aliens and more crystals (moar I tell you! moar!) and letting the AI take care of the rest.

It would probably work well with our DLC arriving in the next few months which is where you can design custom maps and scenarios to play.

It'll be a little costly to make a multiplayer co-op mode though so we'd have to sell it for a couple of quid instead of just chucking it out there for nowt. It'll probably cost - finger in the air - about £40k to make and support for a year before we made any money off of it, so we'd have to sell a lot of copies for it to work out - probably well over 100,000, which means it'll be a bit touch and go whether it's economically feasible or not.

Cas smile.png

Puppygames

I like the sound of it, especially of you can help your friends out when things get tough.

A few pounds is nothing for a fairly big addition such as this so I suspect folks would pay it, but it is always a gamble in terms of time and money invested I guess.

The main thing would be in creating something that people would want to play with friends - not just two people playing a single player game on the same map. That's the tricky bit. Maybe send a larger enemy at a random base so they have to work together or else make terrain a bigger factor so there are defensive bottlenecks in various places - without making it too easy of course. I guess that's where a year's dev time comes in!

You did already have an account on the forums by the way under princec ;)