PAX East videos.

Just caught the panel at PAX and it was pretty great, the new designs are looking nice (the Skyranger looks very similar to the original, still essentially a flying van, and the Interceptor looked very cool indeed) and it looks like there's going to be a lot of stuff retained, one way or the other.

I love how they said that the highest difficulty level is called "Classic". An there's an Ironman option too. By what they said, turns out that the similar look of the new Skyranger and the original was accidental as they went through different revisions of it.

It was excellent looking at the dozen different design iterations for it, then the side-by-side comparison of their final and the original designs and seeing the immediate similarity.

The Classic and Ironman combination sounds like a punishing way to play, a hard difficulty level plus no save/load abuse. That sounds bang on.

I'm not too sure about the alien designs yet, the anecdote about the Sectoids being changed because they were so child-like disappointed me. I always thought that was a thing that worked in favour of the Sectoids, humans flinching or hesitating from killing something that, in the dark, could easily be a child. The Muton design was a bit meh and made me wonder when, if ever, we'll stop imagining aliens as green versions of things that exist on Earth. Really like the new Cyberdisc design, though, that's quite cool ("Cyberdiscs and gas stations, just y'know, hanging out." made me laugh).

An interview by The Verge - Polygon

There is, for instance, a memorial in the game's home base "Ant Farm" where players can, to the mournful tones of bagpipes, look over the long list of soldiers who gave their virtual lives in the defense of Earth. And there will be an unforgiving Iron Man mode that is likely to make that list a very long one.

Just because of that, I will play straight into classic+ironman, even if that means never beating the game.

And if you don't want to read but go straight to their video interview, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tns0n9w9Tu8