Attitude

dauphinbienveillant

I use aggressive, because I always have at least 18 agents on every mission, and I don't want the aliens to have time to fire. The difference is that agents will seek cover. On Normal, If you put an agent behind a box, he'll kneel down behind it. If he sees an alien, he'll pop up, take a shot, and then duck down again untill he's ready to shoot. If he has no cover, he'll just sidestep and stuff. On passive, any agent engaged will run for cover, no matter where it is.

I only ever use the normal and aggressive modes for combat troops. I don't really have many uses for the coward setting. Heck, even for non-combat troops I see no reason to turn them into cowards. They can very well do that on their own without running about screaming their lungs off while at the same time remaining in control.

Aggressive- Because, unless your soldier is standing in fire, will stay put and do whatever they're told.

Normal - for its real-time Side Stepping Action™ with kung-fu grip! Gotta love it, even though it does reduce accuracy somewhat. At least your soldier won't get hurt all that often in a firefight if strategically placed next to a corner wall.

On that same note: What about stance modifiers?

The shoot-while-you-walk ability you get when you're in walk mode is pretty neat. Hard to apply in groups unless you're in open spaces.

And crawling makes you immune to brainsuckers in real-time combat. The buggers were never built to take into account a person lying prone on the ground. :)

- NKF

Aggressive as it renders my android commando squad (8 androids if you were wondering) practically invulnerable. Can't be brainsucked, vaporise anything that pokes its head out, never need to side step. The only time I change this is when fighting humans (namely CoS) in which case I stick them on normal or else they tend to end up with rockets in their arse...

Aggressive / prone is the norm for my guys. With Aggressive/ Prone my troopers can dish out some accurate damage and still not take much damage. Normal mode is ok but my guys seem to only run not shoot. Cowardly has its uses actually. Hybrids with Mind Benders (Amps) are put into run /cowardly. To Minc Control (Control Body) you only need to see them from an instant.

-PSY GUY- :)

(To NKF. Seriously? Brain Suckers can't attack prone troopers? Didn't know that.)

Psy Guy: You can probably have a go at it by starting a new game, sending one soldier into the first mission, run about a bit until you spot an Anthropod or a brainsucker, then quickly lie down. The brainsuckers will run up to you, jump, then fall unconscious. Now if you stay on top of it, you'll get to capture it alive. What a way to stun a brainsucker without a stun grapple.

Now, I should find out if it works in turn based combat, seeing as I've neglected that part of the game somewhat.

- NKF

Both are awsome. Real time is... more realistic. (you can dodge fire and allows supression fire/ cover fire. Also takes away the luck based reaction shot thing) Turn Based allows you to micro-manage your troops and enjoy the game instead of rushing to command 20 troops in a huge battle. (The JA2 system is better then standard turn based cause when your not in direct combat you move in real time) Some peeps like the fast paced realistic gameplay of real time while others like the slower paced, do what you want to do on your time feel of turn based. (if you were wondering i like both)

-PSY GUY- :)

Hey! Turn based is great! That's the way the game was originally supposed to be played and that's the way it should be played.

I agree that it sucks for missions later on in the game though. If there's like two aliens in a huge building or something similarly stupid then I just stick it on xtra fast in real time mode.

I never lay prone I don't think... I usually kneel to fire but I never lay prone. The best way to stay safe from brainsuckers is to stand behind a door. That way they jump to get you from a few squares away and they just keep hitting the doorframe and trying again! Like shooting chickens in a doorway...

Who cares ab00t brainsuckers anyways?? I don't care if they jump on a guy, cause then it isn't moving and it gets shot off my agent's head Willam Tell style. Also, if you play Real-Time enough, managin 24 agents at one is simple as nothing! I do it all the time, I just pause it, issue stance and movement orders, then position them. When you do it enough, managing real-time is just second nature.

Real time all the way... Had an interesting experience with my 4 man backup android commando squad at heavenly towers last night. It had been heavily infiltrated by aliens and after 2 real time hours of non stop combat, and 2 of the androids having to pull out because of injuries, I finally killed the last hyperworm (it was only in the first week of the campaign too). Final kill totals? Lowest was 23, highest was 97!

Usually I have my troops on normal, but if they have no real cover available, you've got to put them on all-out aggressive beserk. The automatic side-stepping just sort of annoys me. Stand still and fire like a madman, dammit.

Real-time kicks ass, there are just so many more things you can do than in turn-based. You can't shoot a Brainsucker out of the air in mid-jump, hero-style. And because you can pause at any time, you can still maintain your god-like control over every little thing happening!

Apart from troopers who repeatedly panic of course, but hey, a simple bullet will solve that one.

Dwilke - Do you just wait for alien incidents to occur? If you do, then there will be a LOT more aliens, not to mention u get docked pay. It's better to keep track of where the aliens go and send agents to those buildings immediately.

Destroyteenangst - How do you get people to die in Apoc? It just never seems possible cause it's just so easy.

I do just wait for the alerts, I lost a load of ships and when I raided the cult of Sirius temple they blew it up (!) while I was in there, just loads of heavy explosives and stuff, killed 24 agents just after I'd saved :) As a matter of principle I only use 1 save slot... Has any body else had the CoS blow up their own buildings? I was rushing round trying to disarm the HS but it collapsed because I missed a load. Very confusing and very annoying, my agent numbers have recovered but I am low on funds all the time at the moment because I'm only in week 3, though I am making disruptors now to sell, and doing the dellboy used car trading thing... :)