Yet another game rips off X-Com

thecyke

lol, you should be a bit more gentle when using the word clone. After all Laser Squad came before X-com and X-com was designed as a single player version of it :D

I wish them the best of luck as they are doing what many others are doing, trying to recreate the gameplay that X-Com had. I believe the guy who works on it or one of them posted stuff about it in these forums recently, probably in the fan area

Besides, it's not about who is copying who, it's about what they can add to it. If noone copied anything then the world would be a small, lonely place :D Originality is good but quality is better. For example, if noone had copied Quake then games like Half Life and Unreal would have never been created, now look at how popular they are. If they are just copying X-Com down to the letter then noone will play it because they can play X-Com ;) It's all about expanding on an idea, not necessarily creating an all new one. All that is new is not all that is good.

Only old ones, but they can come in different mixes. It's how you balance this mix of old ideas that leaves a lasting impression.

X-Com, as a whole, is not that great a game nor is it an original idea (aliens attacking our planet and some super secret organisation rising up to challenge them?). No, I'm ashamed to say it. But it's made up of a lot of tried and true old ideas that appear to work quite well together. Well, if not tried and true, at least a whole bunch ideas that turned out rather well.

- NKF

Meh, the problem with the majority of today's games is that they just offer you a quick shoot'em up thing. Almost every "strategy game" just has you build cooler and bigger weapons and so forth that can blow the crap out of the enemy in a more spectacular way. I'm not complaining at ALL about this...but where the heck is the "strategy" element in this?!?!

I wish more games would take on the approach of Outcast or Star Control, or some of the older games where you could really feel the energy being put into all of it. Where there were thousands of stories that you could hear and explore in the game and you'd never get tired because the game built a whole new universe for you. It wasn't just a game, it was a whole universe in itself.

Nowadays most games just offer a quick cheap shoot'em up thing. Storytelling, god FORBID making production holywood style movies for games like it was once the norm, is pretty much dead thanks to all the super duper technology. I like cool graphics too, but not when the game designers think that it can just automatically replace real movies and storytelling in games!!! :D

What you guys are saying is exactly the reason Half-Life became so popular when it came out... Because it had a story flowing through the usual shooting (combined with several other key concepts)...

Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 seem to be keeping with this tradition, however, not all of the companies seem to have caught on to this for some reason :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just waiting see at least one of these clones to be finished some time. There's a lot of projects going on now that are trying to "copy" most of the x-com ideas but none of them has finished yet. :dead:

This one looks pretty good but judging by the screenshots it's hard to believe the surroundings would be as destructible as in original x-com and that's a shame. It's one of the most important pieces of the "puzzle of greatness" :D

• 1 month later...

This one looks extremely promising, let's hope the game is a good one.

I've read mostly bad things about UFO:Aftermath, and UFO:Alien Invasion will not have plastic* enviroment, which this one apparently will. It's one of the main 3 points they put up about their game on the website at least, so I bloody well hope so.

*plastic = destructable.

And another very promising thing is that they claim to have experts with degrees in robotics writing AI.

Looks like the best rip-off yet.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
X-Com, as a whole, is not that great a game nor is it an original idea (aliens attacking our planet and some super secret organisation rising up to challenge them?). No, I'm ashamed to say it. But it's made up of a lot of tried and true old ideas that appear to work quite well together. Well, if not tried and true, at least a whole bunch ideas that turned out rather well.

- NKF

While it's certainly not an original idea, I contest your assertion that it is not a great game. Verily, the definition of a great game is that it is fun and enjoyable to play, yes? X-Com is, for all its faults, extremely fun. So fun in fact that I find myself going back to it time and again, even though my hard drive is burdened with the latest and greatest like STALKER, C&C3, and Supreme Commander.