Find Your Inner Viking

Thorondor

We hadn't mentioned it before, but the Vikings are coming! In a turn-based strategy slash role-playing game called The Banner Saga that is.

What shall you do, then, dear honorary Viking, in this in-the-making debut entry from indie game developer Stoic?

Travel through stunning landscapes straight out of an animated film as your party escapes what could be the end of everything. Battle painstakingly hand-animated foes in strategic, turn-based combat. Make decisions with real consequences in conversations with people you'll actually care about.

The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy.

We are told a story-based single player campaign will be the main focus, but there's also a free standalone multiplayer component which will purportedly be released first as a forerunner. Count on a "strong emphasis on strategy and a lot of room for character advancement".

By Odin, if the final outcome lives up to these base premises, it should help us stay cool this Summer.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've caught wind of this one some time ago too but there was little actual activity and they've only just recently set up shop.

I do my best not to report vaporware here, so waited a little to see what was what. :blush:

Also, as far as target platform is concerned, to my knowledge (i.e.: 1, 2) this is a PC title.

::

Don't know of any console ports, though.

• 1 year later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFfFHYUbO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0rhoN1Eog

Also, RPS's Nathan Grayson warms up to the idea of getting a hold of Stoic Studio's technical director John Watson to know more about what's cooking behind the scenes for The Banner Saga here.

Edit: he has now also inked his (rather extensive) impressions regarding the single-player campaign.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

https://stoicstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/the-banner-saga-1.png

It has now been announced that The Banner Saga: The Collector's Edition will be hitting retail come July 25th.

What to expect:

This special Collector's Edition will offer fans a permanent collection of one of this year's best games and will include the core game along with the Official Soundtrack and the Insane Viking Pack – the latter, originally an exclusive preorder incentive, now unavailable to buy outside of this edition.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...