A History Of Survival

Thorondor

post-a6070-xenonauts-feb27-updt-bnr.jpg

We were happy to hear today that work on Xenonauts has continued unabated, despite some recent unwarranted difficulties - namely a malicious hack that affected the project's site, but which has now been duly dealt with.

Work so proceeds at Goldhawk Interactive on implementing AI, adding and improving art, moving towards a new user interface, general balancing, and more, so be sure to read their latest status update here.

Here's a snippet:

(...) we've now wrapped up animating the aliens in the game and are rendering them all off at a good rate. We're not quite ready to add a new alien race to the game (a lot of the renders done are of as-yet unrevealed aliens), but things are progressing smoothly. There's also been a number of miscellaneous bugfixes and minor features added, so overall things are coming along well. March should be a big month for us, so stay tuned!

And remember, you can show your support and help fight the alien invasion right now by pre-ordering and thusly getting access to the latest build.

xenonauts_feb27_updt_bnr.jpg

They want to release the game in march or in march they are moving to beta release?

Neither, I expect, in actuality.

Better not read too much into that final sentence, silencer, just count on V9.1 and following.

They're doing a good job, staying steady and moving forward, which isn't little. :blush:

::

Still, by my estimation, there's yet quite a bit of water under that bridge before release. Think late autumn at the earliest, if things go right.

If this game is delayed past the point of the release of X-COM EU, For-get-a-bout-it!

Even if it's a bag of spanners? I feel there's room for both games, I don't think the genre is so crowded or gamers are so poor that both can't be bought (assuming both are worth buying). I think they're going to be very different games indeed.

I'm all for supporting the kind of games you like - and that means buying them. OpenXcom... I'm far overdue in trying it out.

I've still not tried it out myself, but I get the feeling I know how it will play anyway :blush: The whole point of the project (for anyone who doesn't yet know) is to rebuild the original game from the ground up in an open source language with a view to fixing the bugs present in the final release of the original as well as removing limits imposed by the technology of the time in terms of solder/inventory etc, as well as obviously allowing you to mod the game however you like.

It's no small feat, and they seem to be making excellent progress having polished off quite a lot of what I would assume are the harder tasks - I'm looking forward to having a tinker with it myself when I get more time.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm also planning on having a thorough play of Xenonauts too.

I've still not tried it out myself, but I get the feeling I know how it will play anyway :blush: The whole point of the project (for anyone who doesn't yet know) is to rebuild the original game from the ground up in an open source language with a view to fixing the bugs present in the final release of the original as well as removing limits imposed by the technology of the time in terms of solder/inventory etc, as well as obviously allowing you to mod the game however you like.

It's no small feat, and they seem to be making excellent progress having polished off quite a lot of what I would assume are the harder tasks - I'm looking forward to having a tinker with it myself when I get more time.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm also planning on having a thorough play of Xenonauts too.

I'm as optimistic about this as I am about the Firaxis version. Which is to say they both look great.