Started the game using the total rebalance mod~

lucifear

At first I thought "new weapons and techs? must screw up the balance so let's start on impossible tactical battle dif and hard strategic"....

Bad idea, couldn't even survive the beggining as it also comes with the martian assault mod and having short range rifles with very limited ammo early on was making it impossible for me.

So I did it on hard/hard

I can play it, I'm upgrading my power station right now, got the heavy duty suits, all basic firearms and basic lasers so I'm not stuck or anything but it feels like the only way to play this is by exploiting the AI, I went up to higher ground in a defense mission to take cover and.... Seriously, it was unbelievable, the map was rather open so my soldiers got surrounded by over 40 (Not kidding) beastmen shooting from all angles, it was a sea of red aliens!

Not that I don't enjoy a challenge but having extreme sight and ranges for everybody makes it so the only viable tactic is to turtle up around some corner/choke point and wait for them and I can feel this will get old late game really fast so my quest is:

Does this change later on somehow or will I have to turtle forever against every possible foe?

Also, shotguns are completely useless too as rushing in just gets you overwhelmed, melee seems like an even worse idea and as much as I like ranged tactics having no choice but to use them seems a little meh, thinking of just starting over without any mods at all, opinions/suggestions? =/

PS: i could remove the martian assault mod but I fear the extra weapons, tech, and research would make the game too unbalanced as small squads of enemies are no threat at all, hell even the basic weapons with the extra sight and range would make few enemies too easy, and removing/changing the martian assault mod right now would also possibly screw up the game balance as my soldiers seem to have too much XP from the massive amount of damage they have been dealing every mission, sometimes over 3k with basic rifles and no upgrades

Edit: Just a quick question, does Rita ever join over time or do I have to lose a hybrid? kinda tempted to kill the reticulan scientist lol

Edit2: Also unrelated but in this link https://ualguide.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Character_Builds it says it's not worth using the /sci reticulan as a soldier, doesn't his stealth aura help at all? Vanilla and modded game, got one of each going on right now @_@

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

About Rita: I only let the soldier reticulan guy die to get the twins. If you keep the medic/soldier reticulan (i.e. put it in the rover and dont let him come to base anymore) you will at some time get Rita tech/soldier, which is nice because another techinician is really needed (dont put her to fight, do as if she is only technician).

You will get other people at the proper time, but I am not telling any more spoilers... :D

In vanilla game I used rifles. In this mod I found good use for shotguns. And in heavy armour you can do other stances in this mod.

Impossible/Hard ain't that impossible - you must find out the perfect research path. I prefer Rita as scientist. More healing is always nice. I always use same team. Samantha and Diego as Heavy Weapons, Gene and Rita as medics and technicians (mother of twins and wife of the head guy - can't remember their names).

As for the research my first steps are -> get training building, get heavy armour, get human weapons, get medikits. Then all you need to do is be good at fighting. Expand east from your base mostly.

WOW O.O

Im a bit advanced by now. Eliminated reticulans (the bad ones) and martians only have 3 territories... I have many kinds of weapons (not martian ones nor gatling) and using medium armor (not enhanced yet)... Well....... I tried a beast men mission after long time and.... Oh god! I cant fight them!!

In that mission there are like 5 matriarcs with heavy rifles and they shoot from the other border of the map and connect the 3 hits!!! I cant shoot at them because of distance and it is night I cant even see them properly!!

It is a map where you start in a valley with 2 plateaus by each side. I manage to eliminate a group by my right consisting of 1 matriarc, 1 captain and 1 chaman using my rocketeer bot, sniper and psi-reticulan, but the heavy guns guy, 2 rifles and another ret cant manage the other side of the map... Just too many and too pro...

Im thinking I need the heavy suits but then my pure soldiers have no more points for training suits and I have no time to produce them (I have 2 invasions just now) (Oh well, I will have to loose those 2 territories)

What I dont like from heavy suits is to loose the running... May be the 2nd heavy suits you can run with them? I could research those... Another fail is the medium suits with poor carrying capacity... For the heavy guns guy I simply cant use medium because of all the things he carries.

All this is in vanilla... I just cant imagine what will be if I play martian assault.... (which comes with the total rebalance mod as I understood)

Mmmm I readed some guides and now I know my errors... basically irreversible ones because they have to do with the training of my soldiers.... so.... restarted the game...

...or properly, started a new one with total rebalance et al at normal dificulty.

Now a question: I cant remember what research activates advanced planetology as a training for my scientists.... I need it NOW for training Ogui quick before the expedition arrives... thanks in advance ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@lucifear - the turtling is a result of the martian assault mod, not the martian rebalance mod - the 2 can be separated safely, OR there's a (text format) configuration file for the assault mod that can be used to tone down the extras to taste (it should be found in the main game directory and in the zip file, along with instructions). Also, regarding Rita, my friend that introduced me to the series claimed in vanilla to have got all the kids to join up over time without losing anyone in battle.

@wintermist - if you want to use the assault mod but still limit leveling speed better, i found the EXP per level in a moddable file, you could alter that so levels take more EXP (though that would slow science/tech advancement as well)

regarding matriarchs staying at range with guns under the total rebalance mod, i usually deal with them using snipers doing aimed Body location shots with laser sniper rifles - but i'm usually running with at least 4 snipers to fire in groups too

Also, regarding Rita, my friend that introduced me to the series claimed in vanilla to have got all the kids to join up over time without losing anyone in battle.

Yeah, I was thinking that it was a thing of as time goes on they need more help.

regarding matriarchs staying at range with guns under the total rebalance mod, i usually deal with them using snipers doing aimed Body location shots with laser sniper rifles - but i'm usually running with at least 4 snipers to fire in groups too

What, do you run around in transportation suits? It's kind of odd that that's the only suit with an expanded backpack...

• 2 weeks later...

What, do you run around in transportation suits? It's kind of odd that that's the only suit with an expanded backpack...

No, actually at the start of a game I decide whether I'll be using heavy or light/medium suits and put everyone in the best on each line that's available - There are high end suits in each line with decent carrying capacity, IIRC. Only exception to this is in the very late endgame, when I'm using the weapon that requires Minor Driving training, THEN I use transport suits for the people using that because it's massively power hungry.