A nice Frozen Synapse game

Space Voyager

I've lost and won a bit of games in Frozen Synapse. This game with 7h30n was not special due to the result but because I was left with a weird feeling that we both knew what the other one was doing.

At the very start of the game we both correctly predicted the first missile salvo. I was in a bit of a tight spot there, risking to lose both MGs but I really had no clean exit.

I was pretty sure his second missile was going to hit the remaining MG but there was little chance of rescuing them both. Also I knew about the MG behind our backs... My second missile didn't aim to kill his MG (not that I'd mind) but was shot to open a hole for my MG to shoot his. Which he did.

There 7h moved an MG into the upper right corner bunker into the spot I was hoping he wouldn't as it could be a likely missile target. His MG was able to shoot mine from there.

Fourth turn missile exchange; I was aiming to blow a hole for my MG to shoot from but he was already dead, 7h's missile would fly through the window, aiming to kill that same dead chap.

My biggest concern was the MG in the neighbourhood so I went into a bit of a gamble with my MG moving back in, but that window looked really peachy for attacking the second MG, standing in the middle of the yard. Luckily his MG went for the missile guy and was finally disposed of.

7h saw the window and the opportunity it presents to me, so it went off with my MG behind. But not before he was able to kill the menacing threat in the yard.

When only missile launchers remain, the tactics is easy. Move away from walls and hope for the enemy's stupid mistake. I do them, but this time we both knew better.

7h30n, you're welcome to enlighten your position.

Silencer, now we have to do an AAR...

Not fresh enough in my memory, we need to start a new one! I'll see to it.

Perhaps I'll delve into map customization as well. I have a nice one imagined https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/evil4.gif

___=wall

..=window

You'll know the rest.

MGsv MGsv

__..____..____________________

MGs

MGs MGs

MGs MGs

__..___.._____________________

MGsv MGsv

See, I'll give you an MG head start!

:)

An excellent and intense game!

Here are things from my point of view:

1st turn:

I didn't want to move my top left MG because I thought he would die if anyone of Space's MGs in that area moved behind cover. My best shot with that MG would be if he didn't move but aimed so I tried to open up his line of sight by firing a rocket.

Only real threat Space had with his Rocket guy was firing at my MG at the bottom so I tried to move away from the wall and aim at the Rocket guy in hope of shooting him while also avoiding the sight of his MG nearby.

I moved my 3rd MG around to get a good position from which to cover the map.

2nd turn:

I continued clearing the house in the upper left but unfortunately my bottom MG didn't have enough time to kill the Rocket guy and my 3rd MG was too late to save him from dying. Very nice play from Space when he opened up the line of sight to get my bottom MG.

3rd and 4th turn:

I wasn't sure if his bottom MG would make it so I opened up the bottom building with a rocket and moved my MG in position crouching so that Space's MG wouldn't be able to shoot him from the left but I would still get a nice cover of the bottom area.

5th turn:

I hoped my MG on the top left would get sooner in position, unfortunately Space's MG was already behind cover and took mine out.

6th turn:

I knew that Space would set his MG on the window so I tried to lure his fire with my MG standing up and ducking back down. At the same time I fired off a rocket to that window, but unfortunately I missed my calculations on ducking back by a second costing me my MG and the win.

And the rest is basic Rocket 1v1...

Very intense match!

P.S. If anyone is up, hit me on Frozen Synapse any time you want :clapping:

Our recent game - me and SV... though we had 2 games in a row the second went so horrible wrong that blah not worth showing - I hate sometimes this map generator and it provides covers for one side much nearer to the starting position.

In this game also my starting position was fubared from the word go, but I don't know how I pulled it off.

As you can see my rocket man is just asking for a bullet from his MG gunner so I decided just to fire a rocket and maybe kill his rocket man at least he will die in glory. I raced the top man down so I could try a flanking position his mg man or rocket man if my first plan didn't work. Also moved the other mg man on the right if he decided to rush the mg man.

It turn out that SV didn't do much with his rocket dude and his MG gunner back down a bit which resulted in my MG gunner down - 1:1 on turn 1.

I think he didn't know the MG from top was moving to shoot him in the back and he wanted to take care of my rocket man - well tough luck...

the last shootout I think SV gave up. A quick duck and stand move made his MG man target my rocket man and before he was able to do something he was dead.

the last shootout I think SV gave up. A quick duck and stand move made his MG man target my rocket man and before he was able to do something he was dead.

No, actually I didn't. I blame the playing pause for not predicting this one. Not that I had a serious chance of winning at that point but I never give up.

But seriously, about that map generator and all - in general you are too quick to spot your own map problems instead of finding mine. :clapping:

I guess this fight was a bit luck on my side.

Turn 1.

Strange that my grenade didn't kill his shotgunner.

Turn 2.

My shotgunner > His shotgunner. Really I don't know how this system works - both weren't on aim mode and sometimes you see pellets fly through your soldier but they are counted as miss.

Turn 3.

Fancy moves makes his MG guy enough occupied for my MG guy to make a perfect shooting line.

Turn 4.

Cleaning house - nice triple kill.

I guess this fight was a bit luck on my side.

A bit? A BIT? MGHHSHHGHHAHHDHG... Meh, lately I'm losing all matches so I guess people are getting better, I'm not.

Shakedown;

Turn 1: Silencer fires a grenade as an area denial, he could hardly expect to hit if the grenade does not explode in the same turn. Could turn nasty anyway if I wasn't careful with SG.

Turn 2: I fail to see that Silencer has nowhere else to go with his SG but where he did, the rest of the paths are just too long for SG to traverse before he comes into firing range. So I don't see SG coming, I hope for his MG. I had no bearing set, he did. I loose an SG.

Turn 3: A nice move on Silencer's side; showing both MG at the same time. I had a better position but it wasn't enough. Also I had just slightly too little time to duck in turn 4. Also Silencer moves his MG completely to the corner.

Turn 4: I decide to take a gamble and predict Silencer will move his SG right between the buildings, where he has fire superiority. He doesn't and my grenade is wasted. Also I fail to see that moving his MG completely to the corner will give him the extra degree or two, which are enough to get both my remaining men.

So, full of fail this one is. No luck on Silencer's side.

As I'm getting worse and worse at this game, I'll just have to take the time and plan the opponent's move first. Than take into account the options and decide which is most likely.

BTW, I'm not posting latest matches against 7h30n. Those make this game look like a success, so 7h30n will have to do it himself. :clapping:

My shotgunner > His shotgunner. Really I don't know how this system works - both weren't on aim mode and sometimes you see pellets fly through your soldier but they are counted as miss.

I forgot to reply to this before. This was no coincidence. My SG was turned at an angle towards yours when he popped up directly in front of your soldier. So mine had to turn, yours was able to shoot immediately.

What you see is just a representation, not exact happening. Exactness is calculated than represented approximately so that it looks cool. What we see as pellets (bullets...) is eye candy.

No matter, I finally made it.

Turn 1&2

Landgrab

Turn 3

Silencer loses a soldier because he didn't duck at the beginning of the cover and the second soldier because my MG had a slightly better bearing. Now I have him caught into a quarter by my two MGs using a cover. No way am I going to move them unless the battle demands it. I guess that is what Silencer is calling camping. There are ways to destroy such cover even without grenades but not by dispersing your troops.

Turn 4

I move third MG to pair him with SG and go for some house cleaning.

Turn 5

Silencer seems to go into turtle mode with an SG in the corner, waiting for my solders to come by for him to kill... He errs and loses a SG. My poor MG sees his CAMPER :clapping: and loses his life. This is why I posted a wish for range of engagement setup possibility at FS forums. If I want to clean the house I don't want my guy to get stuck by some target far away.

Turn 6

I move my SG toward enemy position.

Turn 7

I clear the rooms but Silencer moves his MG even further away, hoping that I'd fall into his camping trap. As if I was on the losing side.

Turn 8

He waits for my soldiers to commit seppuku and I wait for him to lose. Which he did.

I'll say my point of view.

Turn 1 & 2.

I knew that SV will camp the middle part all the time and he did 6 turns there - that is right.

Turn 3.

My mistake I should have ordered my MG to duck before turn 2 ends. Ducking/Standing takes 0.5s to complete unfortunately at beginning turn 3 my guy had 0.35 to duck which was bad luck on my side.

Also I saw that SG thought he wanted to do some tricks so I tried to move my MG up to cover. Because you need to perfectly aim at position this game penalizes you with death.

Thinking he might do something other than sitting in his safe heaven I thought that I might either spot or trap his flanking on the left with SG. Nope flanking isn't in SV terminology.

Turn 4.

Still thought he will try to advance so I moved SG to protect MG.

Turn 5.

I try to surprise him - should have went for that cover in the room instead of corner.

Turn 6.

I see him sneaking in

Turn 7.

I try to relocate hoping he will try to storm the place - guess he was too scared.

Turn 8.

No action - really ? That afraid for total wipeout ?

So I've learned my lesson here that better do that duck at the end and never if need for cover better run not strafe.