In a bind, looking for suggestions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

I have an idea on things here. First research the medi-kits, then gauss weapons. Second arm one of your Barracudas with the D.U.P. Head launcher, versus the Ajax, for bigger prey. Sell off a small portion of the Ajax ammo, buy some more craft gas ammo. Also, 2 more aquanauts. A few more researchers, as well. Jet Harpoons and clips do well all around, with the thermal tazer works well. Fill in heavier weapons, etc. as time goes along. As you research the Aqua Plastics, sell off as much as you can. Any extra sonic weapons you have, sell as well. Not ammo, but just the weapons. Sell off some other stuff, too, to make some money.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#22 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostBoozie, on 21st January 2012, 2:53pm, said:

I see the merit in a 2nd triton early, I am just not a veteran to know the ins and outs.  The lobstermen weren't too bad with me using a few sacrificial (bad stat) guys to take the lead, but gosh they take a ton of bullets to kill.

So two remaining questions, should I be using Sonic Canons or blasta rifles and do I want to be killing all enemies in an alien base or just destroying and leaving?

I'd use Blastas on the front line and Cannons from sniping positions. The cannon takes 50% TUs to fire, so if you move at all, or even turn, you can't get in a second shot. The rifle will let you move in and out of cover and still get two shots.

As for the base, I'd try to kill everything if I could. There's really not that many enemies in them for the size of the map. Though, if you got in a situation where you couldn't find that last alien and you're dragging out two commanders, I'd blow the device and head for the exit.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#23 NKF

NKF

Thinker of Mishandled Edges

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

I'd say invest cash in a secondary assault base on the other side of the globe when you can afford it, then station your second Triton there. That'll give you reasonably good coverage of the globe, and provide backup transport in case there's too many urgent missions apper at the same time. Fund it by selling excess sonic weapons and maybe Sonic Pulsers if find you're recovering more of them than you are using.

As for sonics, yes, a mix of blasa rifles and sonic cannons is generally a good way to go. You can also throw a few sonic pistols in as well for shok-launcher or DPL launcher users or if your blasta rifle ammo is running low. Definitely throw in a Sonic Displacer - that thing can do entire Lobsterman missions on its own if you are careful.

Destroying colonies - It's a judgment call all the way, depending on how bad things are going and how desperate you are at destroying the base. To make it worthwhile in terms of points and loot, it would be in your best interest to try and clear the first part.

The second should be spent concentrating on destroying the synonium device first. Once that is done, then decide whether to clear out the base (if things been going well and lots of aliens have been defeated) or just leg it to the exit while bringing any equipment or unconscious lobsterman commanders with you as you run across them.

- NKF
NKF, wordmakeupper extraordinaire.

#24 Furinax

Furinax

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hmm, I know this is kinda late but I figured I should give my two cents since I just picked this game up again.

To the op question: I would just land at the first one, abort, then land at the second one and complete. If it is a cruise mission then just skip it- not worth the effort. Then again, your ship might not be able to redirect after aborting a mission (I've only done it once in my current campaign- veteran) so be aware of that.

Hammerheads and Leviathans are great but remember they require Zrbite for fuel. In my past games Zrbite was a huge limiting factor and I got sick of raiding ships for it. You're better off keeping a Barracuda around for small ships and Tritons for basic transports/detectors. In fact, the first thing I did when I started my game was sell a Barracuda and buy another Triton. With the fuel cost of Zrbite I might consider not even using new subs for combat and sticking with barracudas.

For fighting lobstermen, I've only abandoned one mission and that is because I forgot to bring a thermal tazer. Don't get me wrong, it is still completable if you have gauss/sonic but it is VERY painful. Since I don't save/load my games (other than in the beginning for backup), a lobsterman terror or landed craft would likely wipe out half my crew. Even with tazers they take like 2 shots and it's expensive with TU's so unless you have lots of rookies to spare go for Vibroblade or get MC before fighting lobstermen. The current technique I use which works great (before MC) is to thermal shock them and then throw one grenade. Live unconscious aliens die immediately if any explosions go off near them. I don't even use Sonic cannons because of the TU penalty and also because they are great to sell. However if you don't loot the bodies before you kill them you lose a lot of valuable loot! Maybe you could pile the bodies and create a lobster bonfire. Posted Image

Wow I'm typing too much!

Okay lastly I'd like to say that base assaults are really not worth to complete via killing all the aliens. It is a PAIN PAIN PAIN to kill all enemies in the 2nd mission, and unless you are a save/load whore you are bound to get stung by a tentaculat and possibly lose your best guys. I did one recently to see if I could get massive Zrbite but it took 3 hrs to complete the mission and I lost my best soldier in the process to the last tentaculat. The result? 5000 pts, Tons of cash in loot, and 70 dead aliens. I did it without using tazers or medikits. Would I do it again? No way! I've beaten this game 3 times and only finished 2 base missions and by the end I'm just exhausted. There was no Zrbite in the end so totally not worth the risk unless you are far behind in pts/cash.

One more thing... medikits aren't really worth it IMO. Early on I just manufacture particle displacement sensors to make money. I used to arm each person on my team with a medikit but now I just bring 2.

#25 NKF

NKF

Thinker of Mishandled Edges

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

You could get away with less in UFO, but Medikits are worth their weight in gold in TFTD, not just for healing critical wounds but to revive stunned soldiers since those thermal shock bombs pack a punch.

Perhaps one of its more useful functions is to revive stunned aliens so that you can shoot them again! Good way to make sure a tentaculat or lobsterman is dead.

Also, a pair of aquanauts with a shock launcher and a Gas Cannon armed with GC-HE shells can easily massacre lobstermen. Some equipment is quite resistant to light explosions, so you won't necessarily blow everything up. Pulsers definitely stay behind, and I often see sonic cannons survive as well. Perhaps drop the explosive round a little further away from the body for the best effect.

- NKF
NKF, wordmakeupper extraordinaire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users