#1 Jman4117

new
Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:31 AM

I'm desperate for my annual X-com fix and I figure what better way than to AAR it! This is going to be a modified game with xcomutil. The Interceptor and Firestorm will be the primary troop transports. The Skyranger is only for extremely long range missions if it's used at all and will be limited to 10 spaces. The Lighting will not be used and the Avenger will only be used for the trip to Cydonia. Saving and reloading will only be done for crashes and leaving the AAR at suspenseful plot points.

Now for additional rule possibilities:

1: Will Humans be allowed Psi?
2: Force Human weapons only?
3: Force Pistols only?
4: Research help from captured aliens?
5: Use the improved starting base?
6: Suggest more! Posted Image

Feel free to give input and have give me a character to put on the squad as well as a weapon/personality preference for the character.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#2 Tiberius

new
Tiberius

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

-More aliens species (maybe aliens from TFTD)
-Brainwash aliens for used them like the others soldiers.

#3 Hobbes

new
Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

View PostJman4117, on 17th January 2012, 1:31am, said:

I'm desperate for my annual X-com fix and I figure what better way than to AAR it!

Been out of this forums too long... what's an AAR?

#4 Jman4117

new
Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

After Action Report. In short, someone plays a game and tells what happened in screenshots.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

#5 NKF

new
NKF

Thinker of Mishandled Edges

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

Armour restrictions? Like only troopers with decent achievements get power suits?

Heavy Lasers? The vanilla non-X-Comutil variety. Lots of em. There are some folks that hate this weapon with a passion - so go and prove them wrong. :)

- NKF
NKF, wordmakeupper extraordinaire.

#6 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

I used to use the heavy laser. It felt like a waste of time. It took me ages to work out that was because it was a waste of time.  :(

Alien research helpers really just drag out the game time. You can have too much of a good thing.

Never much liked the "improved" base design. Much prefer to flank then try and deal with a bottleneck.

Dibs on the rocket launcher for my character.  :)
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#7 Jman4117

new
Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ok, rules.

1. No Skyranger, or any other standard drop ship. We're going in on interceptors and only using the Avenger to get to Cydonia with 14 men max.
2. No rifle class weapons, heavy plasma, or blaster launchers. It's going to be pistols, stun bombs and human heavy weapon tech here.
3. The starting base will be reorganized for defensive purposes but starting funds will be used for this. No starting freebies.
4. No human operative is allowed into the mind of an alien. It would clearly make them unstable afterward if they even lived to tell what they saw. Panic attacks only!

Volunteer if you dare, but be prepared for regular death and vat cloning.

#8 Pete

new
Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Rookie Pete, Junior Grade, dribbling slightly, reporting for duty Sah!
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#9 Jman4117

new
Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

S_geoscape_000.png
Seems some UFOs have been showing up, and we're recruiting a crack team to deal with it.

S_geoscape_001.png
This is gonna be one hell of a mission. An armada is inbound for Earth and it appears that these are just their scouts.

S_geoscape_003.png
Unfortunately, we are on a budget. Seems that it's just not that important for us to be funded properly. This is all hush hush, we get a few million dollars a month trickled out of the various space agency budgets, and are expected to fund the rest through extortion and covert black market deals. Can't have the whole world going into a panic now, can we? Our first base is going to be in the Middle East. This should give decent coverage of Europe, Asia and Africa.

S_geoscape_006.png
First of all, we're canceling our lease on this Russian VTOL. It's just too expensive for our budget at present. Plans are being made to ferry troops in on fighter craft instead.

S_geoscape_007.png
Our starting base is paltry. We'll need to increase the crew quarters, laboratories, radar coverage, and general stores before its really up to spec. We're also going to consolidate the hangar complex onto one side of the base to make dealing with infiltrations much easier.

S_geoscape_008.png
We currently have enough racks for 50 personnel. We're going to hire on 10 scientists and 2 additional soldiers.

S_geoscape_009.png
First up for research: Laser Weapons. We're going to be selling lots of these babies on the black market to cover our expenses.

S_geoscape_010.png
With all the immediate neccessities taken care of, we sit back and pop open some beers and wait for additional troops to arrive before deciding on positions and jobs.

S_geoscape_011.png
And 3 days later, they arrive.

S_geoscape_013.png
This is Bomb Bloke. He really likes explosives and will be taking a shoulder fired rocket launcher.

S_geoscape_015.png
Pete's a pretty good shot. He'll be getting a pistol until something better comes along, or he bulks up and can carry something heavier.

S_geoscape_016.png
Jman has similar marksmanship skilled to Bomb Bloke, but isn't as strong. He'll be carrying a heavy sniper rifle with HE rounds.

S_geoscape_017.png
Now that we've gone through our squad and figured out what everyone is best with, we're going to do some buying. We need to get superior ammunition for our heavy weapons, and plenty of grenades and high explosives.

S_geoscape_018.png
Next day our toys arrive, ready to be stored in our modified interceptor.

S_geoscape_019.png
We figure we can get 6 troopers into our interceptor without sacrificing combat performance.

S_geoscape_020.png
Exploses all around, and everyone gets a pistol except the chaingunner. With luck she can keep her distance and lay down suppressive fire when needed.

S_geoscape_021.png
Seens our eggheads have come up with something sweet. They figure they can weaponize a laser and have it small enough to fit into a pistol size unit!

S_geoscape_022.png
I want all of you guy on this, we need this ASAP!

S_geoscape_023.png
Seems we have detected a UFO landed to the north of our base.

S_geoscape_024.png
It's touched down in the boonies. Probably terrorizing some farmer and his cows. Looks like we're gonna be earning our combat pay today men.

S_geoscape_025.png
Everyone to the interceptor. We're scrambbing in 3min!

S_geoscape_026.png
Ok men. Reports are, these beings ARE hostile. Look sharp and assume anything in the area to be dangerous. This is our first encounter with them on the ground, and we don't know what they are capable of.

#10 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

I DARE!

#11 silencer_pl

new
silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

I want this rocket luncher.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 Thorondor

new
Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hand me some o' them pineapples and high explosives and I'll juggle 'em some. I guarantee them visitin' critters'll have a right blast. No shots need be fired, we can generally understand ourselves juss fine as it is...

::

Beats fireworks too. :)

#13 Jman4117

new
Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

S_geoscape_027.png
We're landing in the vicinity of a landed UFO. The crew was presumably doing experiments with the local ecology, but our engines are going to really get their attention while we're landing so don't expect to catch these bastards off guard.

S_tactical_001.png
We've put down right in front of them, and there's an active hostile right off the ramp! Pete! Smoke us!

S_tactical_002.png
Bernard, nail him!

S_tactical_004.png
*Swoosh*

S_tactical_007.png
Clear the LZ!

S_tactical_009.png
X-com: 2...Aliens: 0

S_tactical_011.png
Ok, I have a feelin' this is about to get hot...Bernard takes a plasma bolt to the chest. Our chaingunner returns fire with a snap shot against the side of the craft, taking out the alien in the blast.

S_tactical_012.png
Pete takes cover behind the landing gear. Sigourney takes a shot to the back and falls, Jman and Bomb Bloke unleash hell on the interior of the UFO burning out everything inside.

S_tactical_015.png
Bomb Bloke loads another large rocket after wiping out the interior of the saucer.

S_tactical_016.png
Evelyn throws down a proximity grenade and trains her chaingun on the door, the rest of the squad disembarks to clear the area. A few seconds later, the 'nade is tripped by an alien that somehow survived the rocket that exploded right in the center of the craft..

S_geoscape_028.png
Mission Accomplished!

#14 Space Voyager

new
Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

Intense!

This is the first time I see a modified plane, looks nice.

Both our brave soldiers are mourned.

#15 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

All I need is an eye patch.

KABOOM! HA HA HA!

#16 Jman4117

new
Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

S_geoscape_032.png
A well balanced trooper, Space Voyager, is recruited into the squad!

S_geoscape_033.png
Unable to hit the broad side of a barn, Thorondor will be our grenadier.

S_geoscape_035.png
Evelyn gets a sex change and decides to be known simply as: Silencer

S_geoscape_036.png
Our two empty slots in the squad are filled.

S_geoscape_037.png
Our haul from our first mission is sold off to some guys in a back alley. They give us a cool half million, and we look the other way.

S_geoscape_040.png
Our researchers hand over some blueprints for a laser pistol. This is a much more powerful weapon than our standard issue pistols. It is capable of sustained burst fire making it very effective for clearing rooms and dropping enemies at close range before they can react and counterattack. Had we had these on the last mission, those two troopers probably wouldn't have come home in body bags.

S_geoscape_041.png
Next we're going to research something that appears more legit to sell as our "official" product and to act as a cover for our arms trafficking operation.

S_geoscape_042.png
Our techs begin building the initial prototypes for our field testing. This is a limited run of 10 pistols. Once our production facilities come online, we'll be able to go into full scale manufacturing of these.

S_geoscape_043.png
Until our laser pistol prototypes are complete, we're going to have to have our standard pistols on board. Our heavy weapon troops don't have reloads, our other 3 troops will have a spare clip. We also are bringing some extra grenades for Thorondor.

#17 Sgt. Strike

new
Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

I'd like to be thrown in the mix, if it's not too late. And some suggestions here. After the medi-kits, research the motion detectors, I think, or whatever they are, so we can make some good money, and then the alien alloy to get the armor. These are nothing but suggestions. (Of course you can produce alien alloy almost as fast as downing, or capturing intact, a UFO.)
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#18 Jman4117

new
Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

S_geoscape_044.png
Welcome to the squad Rookie Strike!

S_geoscape_045.png
Our 6 additional engineers arrive and can speed our production of the laser prototypes.

S_geoscape_046.png
Our base is coming along nicely, we now have enough room for 150 personel. Only issue is, budget constraints prevent us from hiring more than about 5 people at present.

S_geoscape_047.png
YES! 6 of them are made. We can now outfit our primary squad for field trials!

S_geoscape_048.png
Those pathetic slug throwers are out of there!

S_geoscape_049.png
Ah, finally something that we can sell and actually make a good profit.

S_geoscape_050.png
And our eggheads are going to move onto that UFO hull material. Surely there is something that we can make out of this lightweight memory metal stuff, like eyeglass frames or something.

S_geoscape_051.png
Our full run of 10 pistols has been completed.

S_geoscape_052.png
We're going to put these guys to work making medikits for the near future. With luck we can eventually make a sizeable profit from them.

S_geoscape_053.png
ALERT! ALERT! UFO DETECTED!

S_geoscape_054.png
Another small UFO landed to the north of our base. Probably terrorizing the local ranchers like the last one!

Only question is..do we go in at night against a full strength saucer crew, or wait for it to take off so we can hopefully shoot it down and take it out later on our terms?

#19 silencer_pl

new
silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

There is a word extreme in topic so - NIGHT FIGHT !! Plough the farmers with rockets :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 Bomb Bloke

new
Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

My vote is wait it out. There's plenty for the scientists to do already, recovery of a complete craft can wait.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AAR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users