Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hey guys, not sure if it's ok to post this here but I dunno where else to ask

I reinstalled the Xcom CE with the mods and patches as described here:

http://ufopaedia.org...nknown_Extended

Game runs fine and all but now I'm on the second terror mission with floaters/ram aliens and the game just shuts down whenever the floaters throw what I think are proximity grenades. The error message I get is "Xcom crashed at 0x4035EE with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000000."

Any solution to that? Is it because of the mods or the base game crashing? I'm on Win7 btw. Thanks.

#2 onoeschrysalids

onoeschrysalids

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Oh well nevermind. Turns out it was just that one alien/grenade that was crash happy. Reloaded an older save and the mission progresses np.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

It's not the loader causing the crash, a vanilla copy of the game will do the same thing on occasion. Have always suspected it's an AI bug of some sort, interesting to hear it may be directly related to aliens throwing stuff. Fix is always to fall back to an old save, so be sure to create one before every mission.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#4 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

The error means that the program was attempting to use an item that doesn't seem to exist.  The error offset is the point where the game would access the first stat for the item in question.

#5 arthomas

arthomas

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I seem to be having this error quite frequently at the moment, and I don't remember it happening when I first played UFO back in the day (although my memory may just be fuzzy). Is it unique to the Windows version?

Not sure if it helps track anything down, but it just occurred for me when a Muton threw an Alien Grenade at my Tank/Rocket Launcher...

#6 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Does this happen in a new instance of a battle, with no reloading, or usually after you have reloaded the battle?

#7 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I have found the problem, which is in the original Windows version of the game.  I think this error occurs in times when an alien has no other weapons available after tossing its last grenade/dropping its weapon.  The problem is that the routine to find an appropriate weapon sets the initial value of a global variable that will store the OBPOS memory reference for the valid weapon to 0.  Later, other routines use the weapon stored in this variable.  If the selection routine doesn't find a valid weapon, the variable remains cleared with zero, but the following "use" routines don't check to see if the variable is zero.

This same variable is referenced when a unit goes bezerk. Which explains why a "bezerk" tank will crash the game.

#8 arthomas

arthomas

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm pretty sure I've only experienced it in a new instance of battle, but I can't be 100% sure.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see your reply before I posted!

#9 ElfKaa

ElfKaa

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

To fix this error set the "alien weapon selection crash fix" to ON (=1) of the extender INI. Then it's impossible to get that error at that address if the fix is enabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users