Xcom extender/loader crash

onoeschrysalids

Hey guys, not sure if it's ok to post this here but I dunno where else to ask

I reinstalled the Xcom CE with the mods and patches as described here:

https://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Enemy_Unknown_Extended

Game runs fine and all but now I'm on the second terror mission with floaters/ram aliens and the game just shuts down whenever the floaters throw what I think are proximity grenades. The error message I get is "Xcom crashed at 0x4035EE with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000000."

Any solution to that? Is it because of the mods or the base game crashing? I'm on Win7 btw. Thanks.

It's not the loader causing the crash, a vanilla copy of the game will do the same thing on occasion. Have always suspected it's an AI bug of some sort, interesting to hear it may be directly related to aliens throwing stuff. Fix is always to fall back to an old save, so be sure to create one before every mission.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I seem to be having this error quite frequently at the moment, and I don't remember it happening when I first played UFO back in the day (although my memory may just be fuzzy). Is it unique to the Windows version?

Not sure if it helps track anything down, but it just occurred for me when a Muton threw an Alien Grenade at my Tank/Rocket Launcher...

I have found the problem, which is in the original Windows version of the game. I think this error occurs in times when an alien has no other weapons available after tossing its last grenade/dropping its weapon. The problem is that the routine to find an appropriate weapon sets the initial value of a global variable that will store the OBPOS memory reference for the valid weapon to 0. Later, other routines use the weapon stored in this variable. If the selection routine doesn't find a valid weapon, the variable remains cleared with zero, but the following "use" routines don't check to see if the variable is zero.

This same variable is referenced when a unit goes bezerk. Which explains why a "bezerk" tank will crash the game.

• 1 year later...