UFO Terrain Mod

Hobbes

But for the other maps I think the priority would be more to redesign the inside of the UFOs, since they are the main feature present.

Magnificent. Alien ships, I really like your approach and ideas.

New X-com base in particular would be great, because base defence is so easy. I would vote for multiple spawn points anywhere in the base (with maybe still the main concentration point bing the lift area). Ufo bases are interesting as well, the Enemy unknown model is poor (I liked the TFTD one, a really scary place).

Magnificent. Alien ships, I really like your approach and ideas.

New X-com base in particular would be great, because base defence is so easy. I would vote for multiple spawn points anywhere in the base (with maybe still the main concentration point bing the lift area). Ufo bases are interesting as well, the Enemy unknown model is poor (I liked the TFTD one, a really scary place).

I just posted Dawn City's Alpha 4 - major changes in maps to allow for better movement plus more tileset redesign. I have also set nearly all route nodes to spawn units so that now aliens and civilians can appear anywhere on the map. The downside is: you can now be landing right next to a dozen aliens...

I got reminded a week ago of a XCom Base mod I created out of a whim a couple of years ago - although I don't remember testing it I got it posted on the first post. What I did was simply to create corridors on the map used to represent the empty base spaces so that it becomes nearly to design chokepoints in bases. I also added more blast doors to make close encounters more likely to happen and to limit long range sniping.

I'm actually trying to get away from those old terrains on my site as much as possible - some of the graphics are just awful (due to the fact that I can't create new graphics but simply use what's already been done) and the map design tends to suffer from too much complexity. Dawn City is the exception since most of the graphics were done by Nachtwolf but the map design for the UFO:EU version is turning out very different from the original UFO2000.

Custom Graphic are so hard ( when your completely unskilled like me) spent over a hour working on a park bench last night and it still don't look right. :blush:

I love your x-com base maps , i am going to keep them for later to add more variety in game.

post-8178-1330584458_thumb.jpg

I got already a few ideas about what to use for some terrains but I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding some others. Here's my list far:

Terror Site - Dawn City (reached Alpha 4 stage - download and images below)

X-COM Base - Reworked map layout (Alpha for download below)

Alien Base - new map layout + new tiles

Farm - Native? (UFO2000 terrain)

Forest - new map layout?

Mountain - change map layout to look more like a canyon

Desert - ?

Jungle - ?

Forest - ?

Arctic - more terrain features, too open

Mars - ?

Anymore ideas?

Going back to your original post ,

Jungle- , ancient ruins mix with Jungle

Forest - some tribal huts mix through the Forests

Alien BAse : Is actually on my to do list , i want to do a completely random alien base underground , most likely with your area51 tiles on top to pretend its a human army base . Maybe 3 levels of underground and 1 level max above ground - lots of aircraft landing strips to keep the above ground simply. Please note , this wont be compatible with the original game. :blush:

Custom Graphic are so hard ( when your completely unskilled like me) spent over a hour working on a park bench last night and it still don't look right. :blush:

I love your x-com base maps , i am going to keep them for later to add more variety in game.

The bench looks nice but I think the problem there are the x/y angles - it seems to have a different angle than those of game objects.

Going back to your original post ,

Jungle- , ancient ruins mix with Jungle

Forest - some tribal huts mix through the Forests

Alien BAse : Is actually on my to do list , i want to do a completely random alien base underground , most likely with your area51 tiles on top to pretend its a human army base . Maybe 3 levels of underground and 1 level max above ground - lots of aircraft landing strips to keep the above ground simply. Please note , this wont be compatible with the original game.

Jungle sounds nice with the Mayan temple from TFTD but it will be hard because of the terrain is limited to 83 MCD entries (the remaining are used by the XCOM dropship and UFO). Forest has the same issue, along with Arctic, Desert and Farm. I still need to see what can be made out of it but the main issue there are definitely redoing the UFOs.

I always thought your Hive map could have been used for elements of alien base. The Hive map is not bad at all, on paper at least (I haven't played it yet).

I looked at Hive last night and I liked some of the tiles and it actually gave me a few ideas to... change the atmosphere of the alien bases. Less metal and more 'organic' elements/look.

I will do another round of testing of alpha3 when possible (next week). Hope for new progress in other areas.

Should I look for the MCD cap in the code? Would it help significantly in your work? (Even if I find it, it may be tricky to change, but to try is not a sin).

I will do another round of testing of alpha3 when possible (next week). Hope for new progress in other areas.

Should I look for the MCD cap in the code? Would it help significantly in your work? (Even if I find it, it may be tricky to change, but to try is not a sin).

Alpha 4.2 at this point - unless someone spots any flaw I'm not thinking of developing any further at this point. I've played some 4 sites in a row with it and it can very hard but fun.

The MCD cap can't be removed - it is one of the limitations of code at that time, but thanks :blush:

The MCD cap is based on the idea that certain indexes are stored in single bytes. For example, the MAP file format consists of four bytes per map location, one for each tile that can exist there (eg, a wall, another wall, a flooring, and some other object). This would have to be increased to eight bytes per map location, and MCD records themselves would need to be increased from 62 bytes to 64 (due to offsets 44 and 46).

Oddly enough PCK indexes are also stored within single-byte memory spaces, at least within the MCD files themselves. However the game can handle way more then 256 sprites in a given map - the highest count seen "naturally" in UFO is 329, while certain missions in TFTD will load up to 530 of the things. So the PCK indexes in the MCD files are probably copied into an array of two-byte memory allocations at runtime. Or maybe the entire MCD files are dumped into such arrays? Would make things easier if so, as that'd only require increasing the amount of memory allocated to the MAP data itself to resolve.

If this were done, it would be possible to create crash site maps with up to 255 unique tiles each (assuming the MAP files don't have to account for the mandatory two-tile BLANKS set, if they do, it's a limit of 253 tiles). Currently the limit is just 82 tiles, as a massive 173 tiles are basically "reserved" for craft + blanks.

Altering the data file formats themselves (not just the way the game loads them into RAM) would allow the limit to be cranked considerably higher (~65k tiles), but the big problem with this is that it'd break compatibility with tools such as MapView.

One (rather more simple) method of cramming more tiles into a map would be to remove the X-COM dropships. The game will quite happily load empty MCD files, and the troopers can simply be redistributed at ground level (like in Apocalypse). That's an extra 65 tiles right there. I hate offloading from EU dropships anyway, that's how most of my troopers get killed... The TFTD designs were much better for their health.

The MCD cap is based on the idea that certain indexes are stored in single bytes. For example, the MAP file format consists of four bytes per map location, one for each tile that can exist there (eg, a wall, another wall, a flooring, and some other object). This would have to be increased to eight bytes per map location, and MCD records themselves would need to be increased from 62 bytes to 64 (due to offsets 44 and 46).

Oddly enough PCK indexes are also stored within single-byte memory spaces, at least within the MCD files themselves. However the game can handle way more then 256 sprites in a given map - the highest count seen "naturally" in UFO is 329, while certain missions in TFTD will load up to 530 of the things. So the PCK indexes in the MCD files are probably copied into an array of two-byte memory allocations at runtime. Or maybe the entire MCD files are dumped into such arrays? Would make things easier if so, as that'd only require increasing the amount of memory allocated to the MAP data itself to resolve.

If this were done, it would be possible to create crash site maps with up to 255 unique tiles each (assuming the MAP files don't have to account for the mandatory two-tile BLANKS set, if they do, it's a limit of 253 tiles). Currently the limit is just 82 tiles, as a massive 173 tiles are basically "reserved" for craft + blanks.

Altering the data file formats themselves (not just the way the game loads them into RAM) would allow the limit to be cranked considerably higher (~65k tiles), but the big problem with this is that it'd break compatibility with tools such as MapView.

Altering the formats was the solution they made with UFO2000 but it broke down all compatibility with the previous editors. But right now I can live with the 256 limit - to be honest I've found out that regarding maps, the simpler the better. You only need +256 tiles if you are making a map that demands a lot of details but from the experience on TFTD that might be a waste of time. There's a weird relation between map size and complexity vs playability and fun, sometimes it's direct one, other times inverse... go figure.

One (rather more simple) method of cramming more tiles into a map would be to remove the X-COM dropships. The game will quite happily load empty MCD files, and the troopers can simply be redistributed at ground level (like in Apocalypse). That's an extra 65 tiles right there. I hate offloading from EU dropships anyway, that's how most of my troopers get killed... The TFTD designs were much better for their health.

The problem with that solution is that your entire squad starts out in the open, and they may be surrounded by aliens with full TUs (!) You could set the LZ with some sort of cover but that might look weird.

What is this desert terrain conversion on your page, Hobbes? Seems cool to me.

https://area51.xcomufo.com/depot/bon.jpg

That's UFO 2000 stuff?

That's the Beaches of Normandy terrain for UFO2000. I didn't design it, merely hosting it for download. All of the terrains on that section are for UFO2000.

I have been looking into something completely different for the past days from an idea I had while doing several combat testing of the terror site and using Kyrub's AI patch. Basically to include a few combat features that are different on TFTD and that could improve the aliens lethality.

So I've modded the weapons and changed them a bit

* Human weapons remain the same

* Laser weapons now use the stats of the Gauss weapons (I also wanted to add clips but I'm not sure if that would be possible)

* Alien weapons (plasma, stun, grenades) use the stats of the Sonic weapons

I'm still testing but my first game was... messy because of all the mistakes I made initially with the new weapons :blush:

Re clips, I took a stab at adding them, but there are a few problems.

1) Someone would need to make them manufacturable.

2) The game has no strings for them outside OBDATA.DAT (I'm pretty sure they need to be in ENGLISH.DAT and ENGLISH2.DAT as well).

3) The game either doesn't add them to your stocks when recovering them from missions, or doesn't let you see them in your stocks. Either way you can't sell the things or assign them to dropships.

4) The game insists on calling them "artefacts" if you do happen to get them into a battle.

Other then these points they work ok. Attached is my progress so far, which deals with pretty much everything except the above points (it uses OBDATA records 47/48/49 for the clips, same as TFTD uses for the gauss clips), and includes a save game where they can be tested out (just ignore the odd looking ammo figures - my battlescape editor gives any clips injected into a game 255 ammo, and the game itself renders the ammo count funny when it goes over 127).

Note that extracting it over a given game folder will revert all other weapon mods in that game folder. Backup etc.

Laser_Clips.zip

Re clips, I took a stab at adding them, but there are a few problems.

1) Someone would need to make them manufacturable.

2) The game has no strings for them outside OBDATA.DAT (I'm pretty sure they need to be in ENGLISH.DAT and ENGLISH2.DAT as well).

3) The game either doesn't add them to your stocks when recovering them from missions, or doesn't let you see them in your stocks. Either way you can't sell the things or assign them to dropships.

4) The game insists on calling them "artefacts" if you do happen to get them into a battle.

Other then these points they work ok. Attached is my progress so far, which deals with pretty much everything except the above points (it uses OBDATA records 47/48/49 for the clips, same as TFTD uses for the gauss clips), and includes a save game where they can be tested out (just ignore the odd looking ammo figures - my battlescape editor gives any clips injected into a game 255 ammo, and the game itself renders the ammo count funny when it goes over 127).

Note that extracting it over a given game folder will revert all other weapon mods in that game folder. Backup etc.

Laser_Clips.zip

Thanks. I'll look at the saved game later, I've been already looking at ENGLISH.DAT and ENGLISH2.DAT and it doesn't look promising. ENGLISH.DAT has some empty entries but on the equivalent file of TFTD the entries for the Gauss clips are located over EU's Endgame Messages. ENGLISH2.DAT doesn't even have empty entries.

Hmmm... one possibility that just came up into my mind is to give limited shots to the lasers but NO clips - once the weapon is empty, it becomes useless in battle... that may be another alternative :blush: (yes, I am a masochist that likes to play as hard as possible)

EDIT - Just tried it. It is exactly what I wanted, with that exact object image from the demo for the clip! :)

Gave it a go, still plays quite well. Movement around the map isn't hindered all that much and the aliens didn't seem to get lost.

They do have a tendency to group, though. Had one sitting next to a high window, and ended up finding two others behind him vying for his position. :O Though this isn't uncommon in vanilla maps either, even in TFTD's numerous open-seafloor layouts.

Gave it a go, still plays quite well. Movement around the map isn't hindered all that much and the aliens didn't seem to get lost.

They do have a tendency to group, though. Had one sitting next to a high window, and ended up finding two others behind him vying for his position. :O Though this isn't uncommon in vanilla maps either, even in TFTD's numerous open-seafloor layouts.

That should be because of the route nodes on the Urban01.map that are next to the windows all have the 'Flag' setting as 1, instead of 0.

I had noticed the clustering also but I don't consider it to be a big issue, specially because of the nasty surprises that it can bring. I still wanna test a few different values to see what the AI does though.

Thanks to to posting it on the news :blush:

Very nice! I love your work. I've been playing with the X-Com base mod you've put together and thought I'd pass along my thoughts.

1. I love the tight corridors, very claustrophobic and they suit the atmosphere perfectly. My only complaint would be that since they replace the map for "no structure" they do tend to make the base massive (very noticeable if your base is attacked early on). It also negates any strategy in base construction. However I do generally feel they add a nice element.

2. When they attack my starting base the aliens always spawn at the North Hanger and nowhere else. The extra corridors prevent this from becoming an advantage, but it does feel a little odd.

3. I love some of the extra wall elements (ie. small radar dome). They help with the claustrophobic feeling.

4. My game always freezes at some point during the battle with these maps. I understand they are in the Alpha stage so I figure this will be fixed, but I thought I'd mention it. I do have XCU 9.7 and the AI patch installed if that info helps.

Suggestions:

1. It would be nice for the second level to mean something. Every battle in the base involves getting your units to the main floor fast, and you almost never go back up. They upstairs has virtually no strategic purpose. If some maps involved a greater blending of the two levels (similar to the alien bases) it might add a nice element to the combat, especially combined with the tight corridors.

2. I loved your Area 51 map, and wish I could have it and your new city terror site installed at the same time. Your Area 51 tiles feel like they would suite the X-Com base perfectly. Think HWP factory type design for things like the Hanger. Complete with walkways and gangplanks.

3. Keep up the good work!

Also, for those who haven't used it yet, here is a comparison between the original and new base maps. post-8233-1332803184_thumb.png

1. I love the tight corridors, very claustrophobic and they suit the atmosphere perfectly. My only complaint would be that since they replace the map for "no structure" they do tend to make the base massive (very noticeable if your base is attacked early on). It also negates any strategy in base construction. However I do generally feel they add a nice element.

One idea would be for the 'no structure' to be even more simple.

2. When they attack my starting base the aliens always spawn at the North Hanger and nowhere else. The extra corridors prevent this from becoming an advantage, but it does feel a little odd.

I've noticed that problem as well lately on Dawn City - if there's too many spawn points it seems that the tactical engine clusters the aliens on the first maps placed. Easy fix though.

3. I love some of the extra wall elements (ie. small radar dome). They help with the claustrophobic feeling.

4. My game always freezes at some point during the battle with these maps. I understand they are in the Alpha stage so I figure this will be fixed, but I thought I'd mention it. I do have XCU 9.7 and the AI patch installed if that info helps.

I played it the other day and I didn't had any problems. I haven't tested this much yet but I'll have a look soon.

Suggestions:

1. It would be nice for the second level to mean something. Every battle in the base involves getting your units to the main floor fast, and you almost never go back up. They upstairs has virtually no strategic purpose. If some maps involved a greater blending of the two levels (similar to the alien bases) it might add a nice element to the combat, especially combined with the tight corridors.

2. I loved your Area 51 map, and wish I could have it and your new city terror site installed at the same time. Your Area 51 tiles feel like they would suite the X-Com base perfectly. Think HWP factory type design for things like the Hanger. Complete with walkways and gangplanks.

The issue is that if you open the 2nd level then the map may feel even bigger - which is another reason why I haven't really decided if I want to use Area51's tiles. My original idea was to make the base above ground but only with 2 levels, and making corridors in the 'no structure' areas with fences and alike structures.

3. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll keep those in mind :argh: