Apocalypse Cured!

spylord

you should make a xcom.bat file to start the mousectl and xcom in that order.

mines looks like this:

@echo off

mousectl 3,4,8,10,10,10,10,10

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

rightclick on the bat file and choose "run with vdmsound", set it to soundblaster 16, port 220, irq 7, dma 5.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a nice bug walkthrough at xcomufo.com

Never thought I'd be playing Apoc on xp...Anyway, in regards to the mouse.com ctl, when scrolling the left and top screen edges ingame, the direction is reversed for some reason so the only real useful way of scrolling is by using the arrow keys.Any solution to this?

And isn't it possible to bypass the use of the cd when running the game?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hmm...i dunno whats wrong with u guys computers...i have two,one with XP and the other with 98, believe me that if u wanna play apoc u should use 98...

windows 98 will run ANYTHING!!! XP sux complete ass....well anyways...i got it to run on my XP computer fine (but play it only on 98) it all depends on the amount of buffers u got....it requires like 20\20 on your buffers....just pop in a couple of DDR RAM cards into your CPU and the buffers should be high enough (even one will do the trick, but your performance line will turn yellow...just meaning that it might freeze up sometimes...which is rare) if ur buffers are okay,then send me a message and i'll help u with the problem....but most of the time its just the buffers

messing with u....remember....if it's not the buffers and u don't know what it is...send me a message telling me the problem,85%of the time i should be able to help u fix it...

:power:AAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!

PRIVATE PILE!!! WHEN ARE YOU GONNA GET IT THROUGH THAT FAT ASS OF YOURS THAT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SWALLOW THE GOLF BALL AFTER SUCKING IT THROUGH THE GARDEN HOSE YOU MAGGOT?!?!?!

<snip!>

it all depends on the amount of buffers u got....it requires like 20\20 on your buffers....just pop in a couple of DDR RAM cards into your CPU and the buffers should be high enough

<snip!>

eh? you don't pop ram into your CPU! that would be very bad your your PC's health you know! :power:

:: waves finger ::

you put ram into ram slots and it depends what type of ram your motherboard accepts.

the amount of files/buffers does not (or should not from what little i know) depent on your hardware specs, but on what you have on config.sys or autoexc.bat file(s). i forget which one, but when you install apoc it should tell you which file to use. and you managed to get apoc running in XP!?!?!?! please, tell us how!

Edited by Ki-tat Chung

ok look.....for XP it all really depends on what kinda hardware u got......and like i said before...when u add DDR RAM, it increases your buffers (memory)

in my XP computer i have two 256MB DDR RAM cards loaded...in my 98 computer i have one 256MB DDR RAM card....buffers are usually always the problem...in XP without any RAM cards, your buffers are 0/40...with the two i have in there it is like 24/40...i'm not too sure on how to get a perfect 20/20...but i think it's if u put SD RAM cards in instead of DDR RAM.....or i think it will even go 20/20 if u fill all four slots with DDR....i do recomend that u get SD RAM though....though u can't use DDR and SD at the same time...and can only have one type loaded in there at a time...SD is better than DDR....anyways....though there is more RAM in my XP than there is my 98, the XP still lags....not too much, but enough to get on your nerves after a while....to finish this, all i'll say is if your gonna play apoc...use 98...

mine has only one DDR card and still runs better than my XP....k i'm dizzy now...

you see that little pencil picture with the words "edit" next to it? use it.

when u add DDR RAM, it increases your buffers

hrm...i dunno. maybe. i think that the buffers/files thing isn't used much anymore, thats all. the cheaper (and simpler) alternative it just to add the buffers line to your system file (again, i havn't bothered checking which one yet).

edit: oh, and by the way, my PC is PII 300mHz sometimes o'clocked to 373mHz or 450mHz, 124MB DDR ram, 4MB shared onboard VGA (thats where the 4MB out of the 128 went), onboard sound. yes, i know, dodgy PC, but not bad for $150/200 AU(i forget how much my dad paid), huh? anyway, my buffers are 0 and files are 40, while my other pc (P1 200mHz, 144MB ram, onboard everything) has the right specs.

Edited by Ki-tat Chung

dude...the buffers are the amount of memory that your PC will be able to cope with at one time basically....they have everything to do with being able to actually play apoc....u would'nt even get apoc completely installed without a number of buffers...i think the minimum is like 12/40 that it will accept and let apoc actually go in and be played....u need buffers for it no matter what...

and also.....what the hell do i need to edit for? i've got the boldness that i want...thats all... :devil: wait...i see what u mean by edit...anywaysu have a PII and zero buffers....u are using XP and can't get it too work huh?

:power:

• 1 month later...
Well heres another problem 4 u geniuses, When ever I try 2 install XCOM it goes fine till it checks the CDROM speed, then it freezes. It is a 40x+ DVDRW drive. BTW I also have XP (of course) Y can microsoft make a windows that will run anything? (rhetorical question) Y do u think they released XP? 98 was too good and no-one was buying new copies of it. That and theyr'e are deliberate bugs in XP that surface if u burn it, which I am now fully aquainted with. :devil:

ahh...that reminds me. today, i just read about something called "Fade". its something producers can incorporate into the game that deliberatly look to "scratches" put purposly onto the cd by producers. if there is none, you can play normally, but over time, things go wonky. i.e. guns run out of bullets, aim goes way off, gravity is disabled (taht was an example for pool/snooker). they did that so if they get a pirated version, they can play just long enough that they can get hooked, so once it stuffs up, they go out and buy the real thing. kinda weird, eh?