xcomapoc.exe SKIP

rem Uninstall process

xcom3_cd.com

fakecd /U >nul

mode co80

cls

echo.

echo X-COM3 Apocalypse from Alex-God.

echo Don't forget Microprose Corporation...

pause

U could copy and paste it but mine may be different from yours, so the REALLY IMPORTANT THING IS, to put the line 'dosdrv' between the lines 'xcom3_cd.com' and 'xcomapoc.exe SKIP'. As you can see here i have done it to mine already.

The other thing is to go into the setup program and change the settings to soundblaster on port=220 irq=7 dma=1. You also need to have VMDsound installed.

I hope with this post, there will be no more, or few posts about apoc xp problems because this should answer everything, and if it doesnt, than im just stupid :blink: .

• 2 months later...

Woohow, mine works too now.

About the "fresh out of box" this isn't true, my installation is Windows XP Pro DK (Denmark AKA Danish) and is "fresh out of the box"

My sound works perfectly when using VDMsound and my soundcard is a SoundBlaster Live! B880

About the mousectl, you can't find it at the aforementioned site anymore, but you can find it and all other utilities here:

https://home.comcast.net/~tom_forsyth/xcom_...nder_winxp.html

Another thing about the mousectl, yes it DOES scroll in the wrong direction, but only for a second, if you hold your mouse on the edge it starts scrolling the right way.

About the no_cd, ...

(Sorry, no cracks, please. :blink: - Bomb Bloke)

Haven't tested the video on my system yet.

Guest Gilesy1

Hey All,

I played Apocalypse years ago on my old pc and i lost it,

now i have A new PC with XP on it and after me searching everywhere to

get the game it wont even install,I bought the 5 games and i can

only get UFO and TFTD to work, an error comes up saying

" E:\install.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\autoexec.nt. The system files is not suitable

for runnng MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications "

Can anyone help me with this? I think its sumthing to do with 16 bit file

or sumthing like that,

Regards & Thanks

The Irish Commander

Odd indeed. I installed Apocalypse on my XP machine and it never complained about autoexec.nt one bit. While it did complain about my files/buffers, I could install it anyway, regardless. (The game only really needs 'files' to be set).

For me, the game installs fine and is even able to play sounds in the sound setup, and even the intro plays (sans the usual choppiness that I've grown so accustomed to), but the moment the actual game executable starts, bam, back to the console. I don't know if Dosbox'll help, but I might give it a try some day.

Note autoexec.bat still seems to load. I put the line dircmd=/oe in it to sort files by extension whenever I type DIR, and it appears to be in effect every time I boot up the computer.

Interesting. Autoexec.nt mentions that XP emulates a Sound Blaster 2.0... Probably explains why I had little trouble using a sound blaster. Wish Windows 98 did that for modern sound cards.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
I've got the game working and all, but my mouse is screwy. When I move it all the way to the left edge, it scrolls right, and if I move ti all the way up, it scrolls down. If it's just a fraction of an inch away from the border, however, it scrolls normally. Any idea of a fix? I ran that mousectl.com file.

• 2 months later...

ok ok.. I love this guy! just installed the game. downloaded the files... and Tadaa.. it worked.. no mouse problems or nothing.. just need to install sound ;)

Love ya!

Edit: Sound.. yeah.. cant get it to work with sound.. it only crashes to windows again... but it works without sound... hmm.. don't play a silent game.... do you?

• 1 year later...