Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Kernel

Hopefully this game stays true to the original, but with upgrades, also hopefully open for modders.

What also would make this my GOTY is having Turn Based Real Time Strategy system, like Frozen Synapse is (Where you issue commands to your troops, and the same does the enemy, then after you issue your turn then it becomes real time) but preferable having this as an optional setting for people who would like to try out new ways to play an old game.

Hopefully this game stays true to the original, but with upgrades, also hopefully open for modders.

What also would make this my GOTY is having Turn Based Real Time Strategy system, like Frozen Synapse is (Where you issue commands to your troops, and the same does the enemy, then after you issue your turn then it becomes real time) but preferable having this as an optional setting for people who would like to try out new ways to play an old game.

Welcome to the board, m3rcury! I share your hopes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how well TFTD would "work" in a modern game engine. You don't really think about it with the old one, but I reckon modern rendering would push home how implausible the underwater combat system really is. (No swimming? Surviving a bleeding head wound when by all rights your diving helmet should also have a hole in it?)

Of course, they could design a system that handles it all "properly", but there'd be a lot to change. I'm suspecting they'll skip TFTD if they can (assuming they decide to pay any attention to the original sequels at all). Not to say it wouldn't be cool.

There are so many problems in doing a TFTD remake properly that I don't think they'll bother.

Some people prefer TFTD for it's extra touches, and even the insane difficulty, but I think it would be fair to say that the majority of people prefer UFO (compare the forum stats if nothing else - 12,000-odd posts in the UFO:EU forum and just under 4,000 for TFTD and both forums have been up for getting on 10 years now, if not slightly longer!), so if anything it would make more financial sense to do a follow-up to that.

Back to the problem of doing TFTD properly - the diving suits in TFTD are ridiculous given how far you can travel in them underwater as well as the depths you're supposed to be at during some of the missions (they should have programmed some missions so you can only do them in Mag Ion armour). The diving suits would have to be re-imagined to make such movement realistic (some sort of displacement technology build in so you can walk normally rather than just suspending disbelief) or else you would have to swim everywhere instead, which sounds cool and crap in equal measure :argh: A displacement suit from the start would solve the movement problem and then you could have an extra movement penalty if the unit were knocked out by enemy fire or something. I dunno.

There are all sorts of other issues too, but I think silencer has hit it on the head in that it is in the future so technically they can have any starting tech they like - just as long as they lose the archaic diving suits and other elements from bygone eras.

https://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/xcom-enemy-unknown/1220087p1.html

GameSpy: How have you made the interception mini-game not suck?

JS: A fair question. Interception is still in, and it's still a pretty short experience, because we didn't want to add a whole third game. We thought two games was enough for one game, you know? Combat, strategy. We haven't shown it off yet, but it actually has more gameplay elements to it. But yeah, we're not talking about it just yet. Yes, we're aware.

Well, I'm glad to know they are intending to do more with interception. At least make the aliens seem to care they're being attacked!

I had them by the balls once. But they were so hairy I let go.

AaaaaaaaarrrgghhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrghAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrh.

/mindwipe

GameSpy: For the tactical maps, how big are those, and how have you avoided the bug-hunt scenario?

JS: They range. The map that we showed down in the demo was a pretty small map. That was a couple of buildings and the surrounding geography. And they range pretty big. If you can imagine that you can shoot down some capital ships, you can get some pretty big ships on the ground, those are some pretty big maps. They range in size pretty good. Even the urban maps range in size. So yeah, the idea of that last remaining Sectoid who's wandering around out somewhere, or even worse, Terror from the Deep... You know what I'm talking about. The cruise liners and you have to find the exact closet.

One way that's combated is that you can hear aliens and aliens can hear you in this game. We didn't show this in the demo, but you can actually get audio cues. There's a system that I wrote called the Overmind, and that's basically the alien player. These aliens are out there and they're not static, they're all patrolling and moving around and doing their thing. But they can hear when things happen. If you just kick in a door -- There are a couple of ways to open a door in XCOM -- if you move up next to a door and take cover then you have the option of pushing the door open, and that's silent, but if you were to just path through the door, then your guy's going to run up to it, boot the door in, and then continue on. And that's better if you want to move further, but that's not as good because any aliens in the area are going to hear that, and they're going to let you know. "Okay, I just heard it." They hear all kinds of things, glass breaking, guns going off. And as a result you can also hear aliens as well. On some of the bigger maps, like some of the nature maps, some of the UFO maps and things like that, we have to make sure that the player is directed. But because you can hear the aliens, typically you don't find yourself just wandering around in empty space for turn after turn.

Good stuff. Bloody good stuff.