Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Kernel

• 3 weeks later...

I sometimes wonder if they had brought in a few actual fans as a test group during development that they could have taken a lot of the guesswork out of the end product. Developers and end users see the world with different eyes after all.

On a different note I find it creepy that I typed almost the whole of this message with the auto suggestions on my android keyboard...

-NKF

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.polygon.c...raxis-sid-meier

"How Sid Meier's protégé resurrected the classic strategy game — and almost destroyed it in the process."

Also includes videos of the 2009 Vertical Slice and the full Combat Pre-visualization video, the one with a pair of X-COM soldiers vs a pair of Mutons. The latter has an unexpected ending, so stick around after the title splash.

https://www.polygon.c...raxis-sid-meier

"How Sid Meier's protégé resurrected the classic strategy game — and almost destroyed it in the process."

Also includes videos of the 2009 Vertical Slice and the full Combat Pre-visualization video, the one with a pair of X-COM soldiers vs a pair of Mutons. The latter has an unexpected ending, so stick around after the title splash.

I only wonder if they kept some elements of that last video. For some people it might have a been a little too dramatic and cartoon-like but that was a nice fight.

I only wonder if they kept some elements of that last video. For some people it might have a been a little too dramatic and cartoon-like but that was a nice fight.

Well, they kept "Being hit by plasma or a rocket is bad.", "Cover does not guarantee survival.", "Even your most experienced vets can die in the blink of an eye." and "Even Squaddies can be badass." biggrin.png

On another note, I would certainly like to see Squaddie "Spicy" Currie come back as a Hero Unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like whatever the Ethereals were planning to fight decided to come to us.

I wonder what the Council spokesman was saying before the signal was lost. Sounded like "agents of the deep" or something like that to me.

I definitely heard "Deep". Muhahaha

Deep? Hmm, I'm going to make something up.

They're skipping the Cydonia attack, so no dramatic laser beams or sinking of the Hyperion this time, and instead of 40 years, they'll be accelerating into TFTD earlier - and perhaps throw a love letter to the fans and actually let you use the old land based technology for a change, (and then laugh with glee as the stuff malfunctions underwater). Mmm, 'kay.

- NKF

This means that, at any time in the game, the AI rated each ability for each alien on the basis of its defensive, offensive and ‘intangible’ benefits. Each race also had its own inherent biases and special abilities which also affected different behaviour (...)

::

PC Gamer's GDC coverage has some intel on how XCOM's (and a couple of other games') AI works here.

• 3 weeks later...